Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

200 euro for MoBo and PSU

Options
  • 15-05-2011 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi,

Mods feel free to merge this with my PC failure thread if appropriate.

I have had some hardware issues and believe it is related to either a PSU or MoBo failure so am looking for recommendations before I purchase.

Current setup is
    4GB-Kit G-Skill PC3-10667U CL9

Antec Three Hundred, ATX, ohne Netzteil

Corsair VX450W 450 Watt

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3, Intel P55, ATX, DDR3, PCI-Express

Intel Core i5-750 Box 8192Kb, LGA1156

MSI R5750-PM2D1G, 1024MB, PCI-Express

Samsung HD103SI 1TB SATA II EcoGreen, 32MB

My current option is the following which is coming in at 199 euros but would like to see if there are better options.

Asus P7P55D-E PRO, P55 Express, S1156, PCI-E 2.0, DDR3 2200(OC), USB 3.0, SATA 6Gb/s, SATA RAID, ATX

650W XFX XXX Edition, Modular, 80 PLUS Bronze, 85% Eff', SLI/CrossFire, EPS 12V, 135mm Fan

Cheers,
    Lastbuilders

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

what are your issue,s???????? with current build

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lastbuilders

Quite a few. We had a lightning storm last Monday and since them it is not worrked properly. It was a severe storm as some neighbours had their phone sockets scorched.

Am getting a blue screen very often and when the OS does load the USBs work intermittently and no LAN or DVD working.

All in all a bit of a disaster.

I have tried changing HD port, reinstalled OS and flashed the BIOS with nochange.

I now have a surge protector :) but I would have thought the one on teh PSU would have worked.

Lastbuilders

• Registered Users Posts: 39 westom

Am getting a blue screen very often and when the OS does load the USBs work intermittently and no LAN or DVD working.
    Do not try to fix anything until fundamental facts are collected. Until the defect is first defined. That means no even disconnecting a single wire or peripheral.

For example, a BSOD provides critically important numbers, file names and other information. Provide that. What does Device Manager report? What problems are being stored in the system (event) logs - where problems are recorded and then worked around by the OS?

Most important are problems that make any or many other hardware act defective. Important is the record voltages on any one purple, red, orange, and yellow wire from PSU to a nylon connector on the motherboard. Those three digit numbers may also report facts not otherwise obvious.

But again, before fixing or even changing anything, first learn what is defective; what currently exists.

Hi westom,

If I did not change the HD port the PC was not booting at all so I had to do this. As the OS is not loading now I can't get access to event log\blue screen data either so a bit stuck as this stage.

Lastbuilders

If I did not change the HD port the PC was not booting at all so I had to do this. As the OS is not loading now I can't get access to event log\blue screen data either so a bit stuck as this stage.

I'm not sure, for example, what "this" is. In order to reload the OS and reload the BIOS, the system must have been booting. Are you saying after reloading these, the system no longer boots?

If true, appreciate a serious problem. You have overwritten perfectly good software with defective hardware. So, a BIOS or OS may now be corrupted. Currently not clear is what does and does not work. Would be clearer if this had been done. Important is to record voltages on any one purple, red, orange, and yellow wire from PSU to a nylon connector on the motherboard. Due to new symptoms, also measure a green and gray wires both before and as the switch is pressed. Those three digit numbers may report facts not otherwise obvious.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the feedback but am afraid you are issuing directions far above my hardware experience in terms of measuring voltages .

In terms of symptoms they are as follows:

Monday 9th May we had a severe lightning event in the locality which when I arrived home had resulted in the Machine not booting.

It would try to load then then go to the Loading Operation System screen and halt with the error message. Disk Boot Failure. Insert System Disk and press enter.

As this stage I attempted to load the OS from DVD but as USB Keyboard and Mouse not functioning this was not possible.

Next step I tried to to switch HD SATA port afterwhich I could get the OS to load but again no USB or LAN working.

I then tried an old non USB keyboard (not sure of connection name) and this would work so I tried another load and was able to login but still no USB or LAN still.

Next step was to try and resinstall OS which succeded but again NO USB or LAN available.

After another reboot the OS is not loading now with a BSOD.

A sad tale.

Next steps I was going to try is to replace the PSU and MoBo but this may not make any difference.

Lastbuilders

Thanks for the feedback but am afraid you are issuing directions far above my hardware experience in terms of measuring voltages .
    If you cannot use a multimeter, than both Ipods and mobile phones must be completely beyond your abilities. I cannot say this blunt enough. Meters are used even by junior high school science students. Even a 13 year old can use it.

Meters are sold in most any store where hammers are sold. Because that is skill level required. Set it to 20 VDC. Attach black wire to the chassis. Touch red probe to each wire. Read number. These things are so simple as to be sold even in Maplin for £7.

Riskier by far is removing a power supply. And an example of bad diagnostic procedure. Never replace anything without first getting facts.

You do have two choices. Either learn what is defective before even disconnecting anything. Or just keep replacing good parts until something works (also called shotgunning). Appreciate that the procedure you least understand is the least expensive, easiest, and fastest. Get the meter even so that others who best know this stuff can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

If you are not comfortable with a multi meter or dont have access to one, do you have access to a PSU that you can test the computer with.

Borrow a friends one if possible, where are you based.

Should only take a couple of minutes to switch the PSU out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

westom wrote: »
    If you cannot use a multimeter, than both Ipods and mobile phones must be completely beyond your abilities. I cannot say this blunt enough. Meters are used even by junior high school science students. Even a 13 year old can use it.

Meters are sold in most any store where hammers are sold. Because that is skill level required. Set it to 20 VDC. Attach black wire to the chassis. Touch red probe to each wire. Read number. These things are so simple as to be sold even in Maplin for £7.

Riskier by far is removing a power supply. And an example of bad diagnostic procedure. Never replace anything without first getting facts.

You do have two choices. Either learn what is defective before even disconnecting anything. Or just keep replacing good parts until something works (also called shotgunning). Appreciate that the procedure you least understand is the least expensive, easiest, and fastest. Get the meter even so that others who best know this stuff can help.

I don't mean this as an insult - but you sound like yoda the Jedi knight :)

+1 re multi meter route. You will learn something if nothing else.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I am more of a software than hardware guy as I spend my days trying to get C# to do all manner of interesting things so I would ask for patience with my queries. This was my first full build and has been running pretty smooth in the 16 months since so have not needed to do any real trouble shooting. From a quick read on multimeters and PSU's it is a reasonable course of investigation but I may have access to a replacement PSU tomorrow so will try this first.

Edit:
    Used old keyboard and booted to Safe mode and then booted normally (with old keyboard) and i can get into windows now again without BSOD. Still no LAN available but USBs are working so far. Also got error on login for Acspecfc.dll.

Last install was an upgrade version so maybe a clean install would help? Any thoughts?

The BSOD also had the text memory_management

Lastbuilders

• Advertisement

From a quick read on multimeters and PSU's it is a reasonable course of investigation
    Don't let some sites (ie techrepublic.com) confuse you. The simpler approach posted will tell more. Some will even have you wasting time measuring AC power plugs. Completely unnecessary. That and so many others things learned once those multimeter numbers are posted. You have no idea yet how much information is embedded in but a those few numbers.

Once things are disconnected, that is when some confusion begins. It is why, for example, a surgeon takes X-rays before cutting. Once you have changes a supply, some maybe relevant information gets changed.

Of course, the #1 reason for fixing anything is to learn. Some best learning comes from mistakes.

Ok. Quick update on this sad tale.

Did a clean install last night and PC now booting without blue screen and USBS ok on boot.

Still no LAN though which is a pain so will try some drivers. One strange behaviour I have seen is that if I scan for hardware changes the USBs do not work anymore so there is still some issues but can't rule out that this was an issue before too.

Lastbuilders

Advertisement