Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Four Weeks In

Options
  • 15-05-2011 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭

Been off them four weeks now and I am finding it tough to kick the habit as opposed to the addiction.

I tried the patches but eventually they started to make me feel nauseas so I stopped and now I am chewing gum like there is no tomorrow.

All is well except I am having difficulty with the weight gain.
    Anybody any pointers on how to fight it?
    Obviously exercise is the best way but I don't want to jump into anything I might not yet be capable of.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Congrats. 4 weeks is excellent. I did the same with gum - had shares in Wrigleys :D It's still better than shares in B&H :)

Exercise is the best way. I started with this: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml and was running 5k in no time. It's a great program and will help you keep the weight down.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

Congratulations,
    Keep up the good work,
    Me and the missus are giving them up tomorrow due to health reasons.
    Sorry for intruding and changing topic op but what do you mean by weight gain,
    Dont tell me you put on weight whilst giving up?
    Sincerely,
    iguy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

No need for an apology!

Yeah weight gain whilst quitting is exactly what I mean.
    It happens differently for different people but alot of people find that when they do not have the physical habit of smoking, and appetite suppressing nature of cigarettes, they tend to eat more and put on weight as they quit.

Thanks Macros, that seems really helpful, I have to admit I shyed away from the slow beginning because I do so much walking as it is and haven't really been able to regard it as exercise!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Im gaining weight and swimming 2 to 3 kilometres 6 days a week. I just want to eat non stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Im gaining weight and swimming 2 to 3 kilometres 6 days a week. I just want to eat non stop.

Yeah I feel a huge need to snack all the time and it's killing me so I've been drinking lots of green tea as that is supposed to help.

Have decided to get one of those devices that measures your stats when you jog to keep a better eye on the exercise I'm doing.
    Can anybody recommend a good one?

• Advertisement
Advertisement