Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Types of gels and recovery fuel- advice needed

Options
  • 16-05-2011 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Hoping for some advice from people in the know.:)
    I'm training away since the start of the year, and have done a couple of runs
    so far, one 10mile event and one half marathon.
    I used some gels for the H.M. and found them to be a great help.
    For the life of me i cannot remember the brand name, but it was not powerbar.But that besides the point.
    I would love to hear what works for other runners, before, during and after a run/race and where is the best place to buy them?

Thanks in advance.

Mr.W.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

FWIW I usually sip away on an energy drink up to 15/20 mins before starting any race and then carry a couple of gels depending on the distance, up to 10k run I'm happy enough without anything.

Lately I've been using Kinetica gels because I find there is less demand on flushing them through the tummy, so can take without water as they are already part water. If I'm on the bike or tri racing I'll take an energy bar or protein bar to give me something else to digest over the course of the hour or so. Usually, Powerbar ride or one of the Honey Stinger protein bars. Definitely nothing with fibre.

Afterwards I'll drink a recovery shake cos I'm always first to the biscuits and getting a protein shake in first reduces this craving and is better for me in the long run. I used to use Musashi powder but this is quite hard to get. The Kinetica recovery seems to be working well for me so I'm happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

FWIW I usually sip away on an energy drink up to 15/20 mins before starting any race and then carry a couple of gels depending on the distance, up to 10k run I'm happy enough without anything.

Lately I've been using Kinetica gels because I find there is less demand on flushing them through the tummy, so can take without water as they are already part water. If I'm on the bike or tri racing I'll take an energy bar or protein bar to give me something else to digest over the course of the hour or so. Usually, Powerbar ride or one of the Honey Stinger protein bars. Definitely nothing with fibre.

Afterwards I'll drink a recovery shake cos I'm always first to the biscuits and getting a protein shake in first reduces this craving and is better for me in the long run. I used to use Musashi powder but this is quite hard to get. The Kinetica recovery seems to be working well for me so I'm happy with that.

Appreciate the reply Amphkingwest, I've spotted Kinetica in a place close to me, so i'll give it a go.
    Thx again, W.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Do you stock Kinetica in Bray - I've a fist full of AK vouchers that I need to put to good use.

Jelly Babies for the win! Seriously - give them a try - 20 cals in each of them and easily digested... and a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

The only time I use gels is during marathon races. The odd time I'd take one before training if I hadn't eaten properly that day, and was feeling a bit low on sugar, but a sports drink would be just as good and cheaper. They do seem to give a psychological boost for some people, but I reckon it is just psychological. They don't provide anything that normal food can't provide. For recovery, if I'm not eating a meal straight after, just a banana, or after long runs, a few glasses of skim milk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Jelly babies are actually better than the more expensive Powerbar Rideshots according Trail Magazine.

However, I find the rideshots more palable.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Hi, Just a quick update, ( well maybe not so quick;) )
    Had a great chat with the chap in The Good Health Company in Mallow
    all about Kinetica recovery drinks and gels,( made in Cork I was told) and went on my way thinking i'd return the next day to purchase. Got home and the missus had usurped me and bought a tub of Hi5 4:1 after a chat with the guys in Maher sports.( 10euro cheaper BTW)
    So I have been using this for the past two weeks during and after my runs
    and definetly have seen an improvement in performances as well as greatly reduced aches and pains afterwards which is what i really was after.
    The acid test for me though will be if i beat 1hr47 next Monday in the Cork 1/2 marathon.

Thanks to all who replied, very much appreciated.

Mr.W.

Advertisement