Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrified of failing ordinary level maths.

• 16-05-2011 1:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

I've missed a LOT of school due to poor health, and have probably only been to about forty maths classes in the last two years, and even then it was always when they were in the middle of a topic. I'm okay with every other subject and should be able to secure the points I need but I don't know if I can pass maths! I got a B in higher level in the JC so passing ordinary level shouldn't be unattainable but I'm really freaking out here. I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips? What should I be focusing on in order to pass? What do I absolutely need to know? What can I leave out? I can't study very often as I also suffer from severe chronic migraine so at this stage I need to only be focusing on what's absolutely necessary. Any help would be REALLY appreciated. And sorry this is one big paragraph, I'm using my phone. Thanks so much to any one who replies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

First thing, there is nothing wrong with doing foundation maths. I did it and I am in UCD now. Look at the options what you want to do and see if you can do foundation maths for the course you want to do and if the course allows you to drop to foundation maths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I want to do Language, Literature and Film in UL. It says ''Foundation Maths and Irish do not satisfy specific subject requirements'' so I can't drop down! But thanks for your reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Treora

The way Ireland teaches is so poor sometime. Especially topics that can be lecturered like Maths. I wish I was taught by something like an http://igniteshow.com/ series.

Essentially you probably pass maths even with gaps, but is all about the amount of time that you might have to scarifice from studying other subjects.

I think that you can still switch papers on the day if you have doubts.

Use the adreneline from your natural healthy fear of failure, reduce your planning to a minimum, go to a new place (different library), do three/four topics a day (one prep sheet - rewrite it twice) and do questions until your arm breaks (but have the solutions ready). If you discipline yourself not to to look at the solutions until the end of the day you will know after two days solid work whether you can achieve your goal. And if you decide to do foundation then you can still use what you have studied.

One of the best skills to build in the last month is stamina, both mental and hand writing.

A little trick to waken your brain and phreak out the opposition is the yawn series. Force yourself into artifical yawns five to six with the last one being a biggy. The yawn rushes masses of oxgyen to the brain (the initial objective of the normal yawn), and a series will be like taking a power nap and running a mile and having a coffee. It should take no more than 15 seconds.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

I'd say try and pick our the easier topics first anyway. Complex numbers, q7 on calculus, do not do q1, it really is all about practice. If you've to do a q 20 times to get to grips do it be worth it. Paper two focus on stats, Simpsons rule, vectors if thats your option, but all I can finally say is practice practice practice:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

It's a lot harder than you would think to actually fail it. I HATED maths, dropped to pass the second after JC and did very little work on it- I was terrible at it and I designated it my not-counting-for-points subject. I literally talked to the girl next to me who was the exact same, for 2 years. I ended up with a D1 in it. You can afford to do worse on one paper and better on another to drag your mark up. To be honest I'm very surprised I passed, was convinced I had failed as I also read a question wrong (though I wasn't alone!). Not that I was thick at everything, got 500 overall. If I were you I would focus on the topics that are easy to pick up. Probability and the last question on paper 2, the graph one, are springing to mind. I absolutely struggled to pick up anything in maths but I got those straight away. Then focus on the more traditional aspects of paper 1 so that they're fresher in your head as they are harder than the previous topics. I'm sure trigonometry and algebra are not as hard as you think, a lot of groundwork from junior cert there. Remember, you don't have to excel at every question to pass. Even if your figures are out, you will get marks for your method. All attempts and rough work count, they show understanding.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭fairyribbon

right my advice . im woeful at maths probably waaaaaay worse than you but i got grinds after the mocks ( got 19% by literally attempting everything i barely knew ) my first suggestion is try one on one grinds if you can afford them . if not teach yourself . if you have eircom broadband sign up for studyhub as they have online video tutorials and exam model answers .at this stage of the year only focus on part as and bs altough a few cs are ok .you can pass by as and bs alone . first learn how to differentiate . comes up in a few places. i find aritmetic ok so if your a weaker student thats a good one for you .learn how to use the chain quotient rule etc . id advice learning graphing functions oh and differentiation from first principles is a easy 20 marks . just learn it off .complex numbers arnt all that complex just learn the basics .i havnt done paper 2 in grinds yet so i cant help you on that one . i have less stress more sucess maths its ok wouldnt recommend you buy it though. www.mathsireland .com and http://www.studentxpress.ie/ordpapers.htm are fantastic for solutions . fingers crossed we both pass!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

right my advice . im woeful at maths probably waaaaaay worse than you but i got grinds after the mocks ( got 19% by literally attempting everything i barely knew ) my first suggestion is try one on one grinds if you can afford them . if not teach yourself . if you have eircom broadband sign up for studyhub as they have online video tutorials and exam model answers .at this stage of the year only focus on part as and bs altough a few cs are ok .you can pass by as and bs alone . first learn how to differentiate . comes up in a few places. i find aritmetic ok so if your a weaker student thats a good one for you .learn how to use the chain quotient rule etc . id advice learning graphing functions oh and differentiation from first principles is a easy 20 marks . just learn it off .complex numbers arnt all that complex just learn the basics .i havnt done paper 2 in grinds yet so i cant help you on that one . i have less stress more sucess maths its ok wouldnt recommend you buy it though. www.mathsireland .com and http://www.studentxpress.ie/ordpapers.htm are fantastic for solutions . fingers crossed we both pass!:D

You can actually pass on bs alone. You'd have to get them completely right, but it doesn't make it seem so bad. :)

Thanks for all the replies! :D

I really just needed it broken down a bit and put into perspective.

I managed to get LOADS done today and yesterday (my mum and I have been sat at the table all day today and yesterday tackling past papers) so I'm already feeling a bit more confident and passing doesn't seem that far out of my reach after all. I've nearly covered everything on paper 1 over the last week, so shall just have to tackle paper 2 soon. I've also arranged to go into school and meet with my maths teacher for a class tomorrow so hopefully that'll help even more.

Grinds aren't an option as we simply can't afford them but hopefully I'll be all right without them!

Thanks again. :)

What is the maths requirement on the course?

unknown13 wrote: »
    What is the maths requirement on the course?

I just need a D3 in ordinary level. My course doesn't involve any maths at all but I still need a pass in it.

• Advertisement

Just aim for a D1 because it is always good aiming a bit higher when you dealing with D's, then just keep studying the subject. It is only less than a month, just keep at it and then you will never have to maths like that again for the rest of your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

hi OP, im hopeless at maths..but i studied the ordinary past papers for about a week before the exam and got a D1 or a C3 (cant remember)..
    it is very possible you will far exceed your expectations..past papers are a great help and remember to attempt everything you can in the exam..write everything down..you collect marks for everything and they will take your best marks for the questions.. I say stick with ordinary level maths! and good luck with your application to UL...its an amazing university!! Im there at the mo and i really enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭galwayman17..

hey flyaway,
    im doing maths at the moment too but need a B3 all im doing is going through all the Q1s though the years and doing that for every question. questions i DEFO think you should do are trigonometry on P2 Q5. complex numbers P1 Q4 and statistics on P2 aswell Q7 (probably easiest question on the paper) . hope you pass it anyway! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Avitar

I woiuld suggest asking some of the pals at school what sections they like and see if they can explain bits you are unsure of in those sections.
    When students teach other students their recall of the topic increases significantly so as they revise via teaching you everyone wins!
    A great asset is take questions from previously worked out examples (either from class notes or revision books or another students notes where you can depend on their accuracy) then working with the question only see can you do it, if you get stuck use the example to get back on track see if u can continue on ur own. Now try doing the same example without referring to the notes. Next day try it on your own and then a few days later again. Working with the same material until it is easy for you and natural speeds up your work and accuracy and increases your confidence.
    Good luck or should I say make your luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

This thread is from May 2011. The OP has probably already done the LC.

Hopefully the got on OK!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

This thread is from May 2011. The OP has probably already done the LC.

Hopefully the got on OK!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 TheMathsTutor

Please be very careful about any maths advice in old threads.

Project Maths has changed most of Paper 2 i.e. Prob, Stats, Geometry (including synthetic geometry, co-ordinate geometry, transformation geometry and trig).

Part of paper 1 will be changing in 2013, as well as the rest of paper 2, and the rest of paper 1 will change in 2014.

Advertisement