Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Progressing to that next level

• 16-05-2011 1:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Ive been living in South America for 6 weeks now and my level of Spanish has improved a huge amount. I just finished an upper intermediate course, i have a decent level but my objective is to become fluent (obviously takes time).

Just wondering now were to go from here, even in my classes (one to one) they were pretty much conversation classes most of the time. So other then speaking and reading (only started doing this when i came here its probably the most effective ways of increasing vocabulary) what else can i do to progress?

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Helpyouspeak

I have just read your post and I am guessing that by now you have improved even more but what helped me improve when I lived in Spain was to mix with the locals and make friends. If you started a relationship or even a fling it would help you lots aswell:)

On a linguistic note, reading newspapers and watching television helped me enormously as did watching subtitled films. After awhile you will begin to understand without even trying, though admittedly that takes awhile.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭davwain

I have just read your post and I am guessing that by now you have improved even more but what helped me improve when I lived in Spain was to mix with the locals and make friends. If you started a relationship or even a fling it would help you lots aswell:)

On a linguistic note, reading newspapers and watching television helped me enormously as did watching subtitled films. After awhile you will begin to understand without even trying, though admittedly that takes awhile.

Good luck!

I agree the same is applicable for learning other languages, too.

Advertisement