Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements / Nutrition For an athlete

Options
  • 16-05-2011 1:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

hi guys, im a first time poster here, so not too sure how this works, but id appreciate some help and feedback from anyone who could help!

Basically im a track and field athlete, 800m -3000m at the moment, and im looking to put on some ( not loads) of lean muscle. Im thin enough and I find myself lacking the strength in the latter part of my races. Does anybody know health supplements that would help in this regard??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Your best supplement is food. What are you eating, and how much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 irishathlete

i would consider myself healthy enough, i would eat a lot of fruit, apples mainly, quite a few bananas and oranges. i did eat a lot of white bread, but have replaced that with wholemeal. i dont eat much eggs, fish or red meat, the main meat being chicken.my meals would not be very consistent, i would sometimes not have breakfast and tend to snack in between !

Sounds like you need to fix your diet. Can you post what you eat in a typical day? And perhaps what your workout is like?

a daily diet would be :

weetabix/ bran flakes for breakfast, juice ( this would not be a regular thing)

lunch: a sandwich

dinner: chicken, pork, beef with rice or potatoes or pasta , some vegetables

cups of tea, lots of fruit, some snacking on biscuits and wheat crackers

training would involve running 6 if not every day of the week. 3/4 times a week i would do some core exercises. training can change from steady running to interval work to long runs on a sunday

Add more protein to your breakfast and lunch. Cereal is not a bad pre-workout snack, and might give you the extra oomph you need for training, but something like eggs would make a better breakfast.

Dump the juice, it's empty calories. Whole fruit is better.

Sandwiches are heavy on empty carbs and low on protein and fat.

Fruit is not bad, though I'd like to see more veggies in there, but the crackers and biscuits are not ideal. Try eating some yogurt or cottage cheese instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

EileenG wrote: »
    Add more protein to your breakfast and lunch. Cereal is not a bad pre-workout snack, and might give you the extra oomph you need for training, but something like eggs would make a better breakfast.

Dump the juice, it's empty calories. Whole fruit is better.

Sandwiches are heavy on empty carbs and low on protein and fat.

Fruit is not bad, though I'd like to see more veggies in there, but the crackers and biscuits are not ideal. Try eating some yogurt or cottage cheese instead.

while i'd agree with adding more protein, i don't think he should be taking out the carbs he has - athletics training is gonna need a good amount of carbs for fuel, and he's trying to bulk he's gonna need a decent bit of carbs too.

my advice would just to be have some eggs with breakfast and increase portion sizes at dinner and lunch (mainly of protein sources but don't be afraid to have some extra carbs).

if you're training very hard very often maybe consider a glutamine supplement for recovery but that's all you'd really need i'd say.

thanks all, will take this into consideration, whats glutamine, and what are the benefits ??

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭muffinn

Glutamine is an aminoacid that is supposed to improve recovery after exercise, also is supposed to have anti-catabolic properties but if you ask me, I'd go for BCAA instead.

Did you consider implementing a full body resistance weight training 1-2 times a week to your workout routine ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

thanks all, will take this into consideration, whats glutamine, and what are the benefits ??

about 10-20g a day will significantly aid recovery. it's an amino acid, but an especially important one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

i second the glutamine but not before you sort out some fairly basic stuff with your nutrition

• Advertisement
Advertisement