Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photographers vest

• 16-05-2011 2:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

hi hows things,
    as above im looking for info on these,
    do i need to be in the press/media or some sort of association to have one of these?
    the reason i want to get one is for at sport events such as road racing i want to get the good spots like other photographers for the best pictures.

any info would be great and where could i get one

thanks

jamie

Comments

Like a reflective vest, you mean?

I'd have assumed that for the likes of rallying and such types of racing it's every man for himself? Old woman with the point and shoot set to auto can get the best position if she arrives on time?

Unless you're trying to get onto the other side of a barrier? In wich case buying a vest won't make a different, I don't believe, as it'd have to come from the organisers.

I'm not trying to be smart or anything, but can you elaborate? I find this question absolutely perplexing.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭JDPhotography

sorry, i should have explained it better.

http://cheesycam.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/canon-photographer-vest.jpg ..... like this but in a brighter color and says photographer on the back, saves carrying a camera bag around too. i've seen alot of togs on the other side of barriers with these with photographer printed on the back

Well for a start, that alone won't get you on the other side of any fences, outside of small local events (where you can most likely just wander around anyway).

On a national stage or such, usually press passes or passes requested prior to the event are what get you on the other side of the barrier. If the promoters want to throw a jacket on each photographer, it'd be more for identification purposes than anything else.

Lowepro do a photographer vest. Doesn't have anything printed on the back, though. To be honest, any old tactical vest off ebay, and someone who can offer an embroider/print service and you're laughing.

If you're gonna try to be stealthy and worm your way into places, then an ID card would probably go a lot further than a vest. You can get custom ID cards on eBay, too.

I'm not sure exactly where you're from, but just be careful about telling porkies if it's around small local events you're trying to do this. Chances are the same photographers will be at these events the whole time, so they'll know you're new and who you are/aren't working for. If it's a bigger stage, national event, or such, then you can be a lot more anonymous obviously, as the photographers would vary hugely, but these are the kinda places that are strict about who goes on what side of the barrier, so you'd need to just be careful either way.

I wouldn't go rushing into buying something with "photographer" written on it anyway. I don't think I've ever seen a pro with "photographer" just written on himself for the sake of it (though that said, you've obviously seen some people wearing them or you wouldn't want one so I must be wrong).

iv just looked up ebay there for Id cards, http://cgi.ebay.ie/Flickr-Photographer-Press-Pass-Passes-PVC-id-Card-Cards-/180557320225?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0a0e1021 .... something like that is it?

that cant be official can it?

Yeah. The one I got wasn't off that seller (not sure why anyone'd want flickr written on it as it defeats the purpose of trying to look official).

The one I got wasn't amazing quality (when compared to a genuine card) as it was a tad blurred (but you'd really have to look to notice it, it'd definitely pass for a genuine card). I got it here;

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270493609480&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It's a steel card, though, so you won't be in a rush to replace it anytime soon. I bought one with the name of a local paper on it (as i do the odd bit here and there for them, and i was sick of people asking "what paper is it for") and I have another design on my PC with just my own personal info that I've yet to actually order.

Downside (or upside, depending which way you look at it) is you have to design it yourself from scratch, so you'll need to copy the dimensions into photoshop (or paint.net as I did) and google some ID cards for inspiration.

I still think an ID card looks very official though, and in the event of trying to smooth talk your way into things, will probably help more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I have a valid Press ID card, but could count on one hand the number of times I've needed to show it to gain access to an event. All the card is is an ID card with your name and photo. It's not a "gain access" card.

I also have one of the photographer's vests and find it great to carry gear. Handy and distributes the weight well.

Neither of those will get you access to an event though. You need to apply for accreditation, the same as everyone else who wants to get official access, no matter what press organisation you work for.

Anyway, if you're caught out, you might find yourself ejected from an event, or your name passed to other events, and you'll then find it much harder to gain access to anything in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Have an ID Card printer that I use to create my own work ID "Press" Cards.... have 2 machines in the attic.

Printer and software was around 2K if my memory is right.

I'm a working full-time professional photographer and created a "Press" ID card for my own business - takes a bit of time to make a template with the software, probably due to my inability to read manuals.

As for the "vests" it generally makes an amateur look like a wannabe photographer - but there are professional photographers who use them, quite rarely but as PaulW says they distribute the weight....some professionals are using accessory belts to take the weight onto their hips instead of back/shoulders.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    Have an ID Card printer that I use to create my own work ID "Press" Cards.... have 2 machines in the attic.

I'm a working full-time professional photographer and created a "Press" ID card for my own business - takes a bit of time to make a template with the software, probably due to my inability to read manuals.

As for the "vests" it generally makes an amateur look like a wannabe photographer - but there are professional photographers who use them, quite rarely but as PaulW says they distribute the weight....some professionals are using accessory belts to take the weight onto their hips instead of back/shoulders.

PM sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

PCPhoto wrote: »

Are they like business cards or like a real (NUJI) Press Pass?
    If it is the later,is it really of any use in real life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

I carry my stuff in a bag sometimes two!! it can be akward at times ok, looked at those photo jackets ok but they're spendy for what you get! i do often wear a cargo type pants which has loads of pockets which can be handy

As for ID Cards - these days i suppose you could make any sort of card you want to!!
    i remember we did some fun onse for Boards ID cards based on the Flickr ID one.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

If its for Motorsport Ireland sanctioned event (which is pretty much every event in Ireland) you need to be a registered media person with Motorsport Ireland to get a Pink bib with a number on the back, you get a badge too. You need media accreditation before they will issue one, as in you need to have proof that you have had some of your photos printed in the media and proof they they will require your services again. You still need to sign on with the organisers press / media office too on the morning of each event . A home made bib badge will get you abuse from spec's and marshals if you try and stand in front of tape / close to road ect at rallies.

In Northern ireland (MSI events) each event issues their own bibs and usually require you to pre register with them and collect your bib on the day when you bring the proof of the accreditation. Also sometimes although rare events in the republic will issue you with their own bib's for an event, but usually only if you do work for local papers for that event only ect...

i take alot of pictures of horses showjumping and that so if i wanted to try get them published is it basically just send them away and hope?

i take alot of pictures of horses showjumping and that so if i wanted to try get them published is it basically just send them away and hope?

Make contact with your local papers, and any showjumping magazines. See if they want your images (for payment).

It's not an easy market to break in to. There are already a few companies who cover showjumping events (jumpinaction.net is one I know well). Try even contacting them, and see about working for them.

It won't be easy and may take time, but you just have to work at it.

ah sure iv plenty of time anyway
    i think i may be rushing into things but thats just me haha

i just wanna get out there and work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

mdebets wrote: »
    Are they like business cards or like a real (NUJI) Press Pass?
    If it is the later,is it really of any use in real life?

its a hard plastic ID card - similar to that which you see in companies/gyms etc etc

the NUJ card is simply a laminated piece of paper.... which costs about €360* a year for fulltime working professionals.

*= also included is backing of the union.

Madness. I was only ever at one rally, but I always thought it was a case of just showing up and looking for a good spot?

Can anyone clarify why you'd need any prior accreditation? I've planned to randomly appear at a few car/bike/etc. races or such if i was ever near one. Sounds like a lot more hassle than it's worth now.

Madness. I was only ever at one rally, but I always thought it was a case of just showing up and looking for a good spot?

Can anyone clarify why you'd need any prior accreditation? I've planned to randomly appear at a few car/bike/etc. races or such if i was ever near one. Sounds like a lot more hassle than it's worth now.

Yeah, sure pro photographers just show up and look good. :rolleyes:

They're not there to work, or anything like that. :eek:

Why do you need accreditation? Because as the event organisers, they have a legal responsibility. They must decide who should be allowed in and who shouldn't. Otherwise, why have any barriers at all? Why not just let anyone walk anywhere they want?

I seriously can't believe you made that post. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

You can of course still just show up and snap away but the media guys can get to slightly more dangerous areas than the ordinary spectator can go. The marshals will shepard you into safe places behind hedges/ walls etc whereas the media bibs let those guys almost onto the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

BFassassin wrote: »
    You can of course still just show up and snap away but the media guys can get to slightly more dangerous areas than the ordinary spectator can go. The marshals will shepard you into safe places behind hedges/ walls etc whereas the media bibs let those guys almost onto the road.

Your above comment is wrong, media personal are still at the pearl of the marshals. Sure they get to stand closer to the road, but a marshal will still ultimately decide if you are standing in an unsafe place, or more importantly, standing in a spot that will put off or distract the drivers themselves. I do agree with that too and Believe it or not if you don't listen to a marshal he/she can get your MI approval revoked!

Some media people at rallys stand in really stupid places. KKV you don't need Media accreditation to get good/ semi decent shots, i have never had a media bib and i regularly get praise from Rally photographers over on rally forums, i know most of them at this stage too. I also have loads and loads of supplied loads and loads of photos to driver / navi's ect after an event 75% of the photos i upload after a rally are because a sample was requested. One golden rule i use is always stand somewhere that you have space behind you to run (as in not on the road side of a fence wall ect, somewhere like an open gate is ideal) and far enough away from the obstacle your taking photos of that you have time to react to run into that space!

i'm going to forget everything to do with ID and media passes

i'm simply just gonna go and find the best spots myself and snap away.

gonna look into doing a photographers course and have that behind me.

think i just kinda rushed into things by asking these questions, but how and ever.

sorry to the lads in this thread for wastin yer time,

cheers

Jamie Donnelly

• Advertisement

Paulw wrote: »
    Yeah, sure pro photographers just show up and look good. :rolleyes:

They're not there to work, or anything like that. :eek:

Why do you need accreditation? Because as the event organisers, they have a legal responsibility. They must decide who should be allowed in and who shouldn't. Otherwise, why have any barriers at all? Why not just let anyone walk anywhere they want?

I seriously can't believe you made that post. :eek:

No need to be condescending.

Right, so they're there working, that's grand. Any rallies I see i rarely (if ever) see any barriers. People are usually just standing at the sides of the roads watching he cars pass by. The only one I was ever at, there was no "letting people in". Some of the roads were closed off and people just kinda went wherever they wanted to view it (it was in Kildare, if I recall correctly).

Homer Simpson's post above seems to agree with my general remembrance of the event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bemxoot

try weding photographer .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

For rallying you need to be registered with Motorsport Ireland http://www.motorsportireland.com/Libraries/Standard_Forms/2011_Media_Accreditation_Form.sflb.ashx

You need to have proof of 2 published items(in a magazine) before they'll consider and accepting, It might have changed though.

For road racing It's based more on a club level. Where If you get into your local club( Cover press events etc ) they could supply you with a pass for the event.

Obviously for both you could try and get into the same spots as press but usually It's the most dangerous spots that produce the best photos so the marshalls really don't want 50 "photographers" all standing in the one spot when A bike comes flying towards them.

Rallying marshalls aren't as strict but can and will still move you if they think you're in danger. Also If you're in a very dangerous spot rally drivers might complain about you and the stage could be called off( This nearly happened at a rally I was one at due to lads messing on a quick corner, it's not the same but just be warned).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i'm going to forget everything to do with ID and media passes

i'm simply just gonna go and find the best spots myself and snap away.

gonna look into doing a photographers course and have that behind me.

think i just kinda rushed into things by asking these questions, but how and ever.

sorry to the lads in this thread for wastin yer time,

cheers

Jamie Donnelly

no harm in calling the event promotors, youd be surprised how accommodating people can be

Thank you

just read there applicants must be 18 years of age, im only 17 haha

sure i'll get into a few camera clubs and see if they can help me from there.

cheers

JD

no harm in calling the event promotors, youd be surprised how accommodating people can be

i'v tried emailing them and stating why i want to try and get a pass and that they could use the pictures if they like

heard absolutley nothing back.

JD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

What event is it? Prodrift by any chance?

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    What event is it? Prodrift by any chance?

no, Skerries, Killilane and Kells road races

JD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Ah right. You should still be able to get a few good shots from the normal spectator areas if you put a bit of thought into where you watch from.

• Advertisement
Advertisement