Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subclass 175 visa - work experience?

Options
  • 16-05-2011 7:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

We are currently looking through visa options for ourselves. My boyfriend is a carpenter and completed his apprenticeship last year. Does anyone know whether these 4 years could also count for years experience in your profession? This is under the new points system to be introduced in July 2011.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

I'm not to sure would it count for experience, but as a chippie after July it will be harder to get a PR visa but not impossible.

With the little info you give its hard to know, but could he use a Working Holiday Visa to get out there and then try and find a Sponsor eg a 457 visa, or possibily a 176 state sponsorship visa? The extra points from S.S. he could possibily get would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭linola_c

How come it will be more difficult for carpenters after July?

I am a little unsure of the State Sponsorship route - is this just an occupation on the Skilled List? Excuse my ignorance if I am getting this wrong!

As of the new points system:
    Overseas work experience in nominated occupation or a closely related occupation - 3 years out of the previous 5 years qualifies for 5 points?

We do have an Australian relative which has just sponsored his brother on a regional visa. We would prefer to have a visa w/o restrictions to regional areas. Employer Sponsorship hasn't presented itself as an opportunity as of yet, but may do!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

linola_c wrote: »
    How come it will be more difficult for carpenters after July?

I am a little unsure of the State Sponsorship route - is this just an occupation on the Skilled List? Excuse my ignorance if I am getting this wrong!

As of the new points system:
    Overseas work experience in nominated occupation or a closely related occupation - 3 years out of the previous 5 years qualifies for 5 points?

We do have an Australian relative which has just sponsored his brother on a regional visa. We would prefer to have a visa w/o restrictions to regional areas. Employer Sponsorship hasn't presented itself as an opportunity as of yet, but may do!

It will be more difficult after july as a Apprenticship only gets 10 or 5 points not to sure now, where as a degree gets 15 and Masters gets 20 points.

As for state sponsorship, each state has there own State Migration Plan (SMP) some may have carpenters on it some may not, to get SS you need to fill certain requirements and again it varies greatly from state to state. There is also a closing date for applications each year, if you google for example "New South Wales State Sponsorship" and get info that way. And also SS to regional oz doesn't mean you cant work any were, there is now legal obligation on your part to stay in the state that sponsored you only a moral obligation. States like NT and SA are all regional, Cities included and I have heard of people gaining SS in SA who then move to Sydney etc to work..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

linola_c wrote: »

The relative sponsor for permanent residence is rubbed out after 1st July, it will only exist in a Provisional regional visa which is only temporary visa.

rightyabe wrote: »
    It will be more difficult after july as a Apprenticship only gets 10 or 5 points not to sure now, where as a degree gets 15 and Masters gets 20 points.

Actually this is only partly true

Apprenticeship = 10 points
    Bachelor Degree or Masters = 15
    PhD=20

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭someday2010

If I apply for the new 175 visa from July of this year from inside Australia, does anybody know how long it will take to process it? How difficult is the IELTS 8 test?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Would be interested to know this also.

Advertisement