Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You're biggest regret?

• 28-11-2004 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

What's your biggest regret, what would you change if you could?

I would have liked to start playing guitar at a younger age, i would have liked to do better in school(at the time) - means fúck all to me now though :D

And at the moment i'd like to do something mad, like ride around Europe on a motorbike or somethin(i'm seriously considering doin this)... i don't want to look back in 5 years time and regret that i didn't do it :(;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well we all learn from the things we deem that we didn't do right, so I don't have regrets in that sense.

With that said though, learning guitar at an earlier age would've been a handy thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i didn't kill that bitch when I had the chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I think that like most people I have regrets about some of the things that I did when I was younger - the main thing is to make ammends/build bridges/appologise where applicable and move forward and learn from your mistakes. Life is too short. Treasure your parents while you still have them and live in the moment while saving for the future. One of my favorite songs is "Life's what you make it" by Talk Talk and it is something that I would hope to live by...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Wish I had taken up the piano as a child.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Biggest regret is being brought into this world..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

What I am your biggest regret?

(You're biggest regret)

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

In the imortal words of Frank

"Regrets, I’ve had a few;
    But then again, too few to mention.
    I did what I had to do
    And saw it through without exemption."

I've had loads, but as said i think its part of life. I try not to dwell on the past but look forward to the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

Who was that, Frankie Goes To Hollywood?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

newband wrote:

I really hope yur not serious
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Skellington

regret nothing you do in life...

"carpe diem"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

newband wrote:
    (in any case, it'd rightly be "in the immortal words of Paul Anka" instead)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I wish I'd put more potato wedges in the oven earlier. Now I'm going to have to cook a second batch :(

Edit: No no It's ok. The fish pie is more filling than I had expected! emmmmm..then I guess then I regret ever taking pity on my hypocritical leech of an ex gf :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

(in any case, it'd rightly be "in the immortal words of Paul Anka" instead)

Ha Ha! I was wondering how long it would take for that one. :p Let me take a wild guess at the next post.

Who's Paul AnKa? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

pwd wrote:
    I wish I'd put more potato wedges in the oven earlier. Now I'm going to have to cook a second batch :(
    i feel your pain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

I regret not kicking a few people's asses in school. I used to have the attutude of "just ignore it and it'll go away", but really. Beating some ass would have been quite satisfying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭tovalee

I dont think i regret anything ive ever done. But i do regret NOT doing loads of things: appreciating my parents more before they passed, not telling certain people how i felt about them....typical stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Too early in my life (and I'd be one of the older boards members) to be thinking about that. There's a lot more living to do and a lot more learning so I'll keep plugging away and making mistakes but following what I believe is the right path for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

i wish i'd taken up rugby when i was younger, cuz it too late now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I regret taking statistics instead of computer science in 2nd year. Worst decision ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Kinda wished I was born before Edith Piaf died so I could have seen a performance... but apart from that no regrets...

Christ except for the ex gf who still does my head-in any time friends/family mention her... OK I grew as a person as a result of her... I hope to one day state truly no regrets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Its strange. I totally screwed up in college. Failed the whole time. Always regretted that until recently when I heard most of the grads from my course are working in poorly paid jobs, having nada to do with what we studied.

Big regret, is that I never got together with Elaine Devanney from Tuam, while we were in college together in LIT. Outrageous flirting the whole time, but both of us were too shy to do anything about it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I hope Elaine is reading this so she knows it could still be on! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Not playing rugby from a younger age and quitting the guitar.
    Regretted not studying for my LC and didnt get my 1st pick,gutted i was.
    Fell into my course and i love it, met my girlfriend & met some incredible people that i now have the pleasure to call friends.
    Regrets,regrets regrets-you'll always have um, but always look at what ya have ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

Not sticking with basketball when i was younger...my two bro's went to america on basketball scholarships...fine college educations and really are living the american dream!!

Ah well whats the point when ya cant go for a decent pint and get LOCKED and meet similar LOCKED ppl and talk bolox....many trips across the atlantic....Me being the only LOCKED mad irish man in these horrible american bars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭stuey

Not enjoying life from as early as I should.
    Not opening my eyes to other peoples problems.
    Not being around my uncle dave as much as I should have

Love ya Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Not learning to drive at the age of about 18. Or 21. Or 24.

STUPID, stupidstupidstupid.

All the typical excuses - we didn't have a car for me to practice in, it was too expensive etc. etc. ...STUPID.

Am now learning to drive. And I'm sure it would have been a fork load easier ten years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

suppafly wrote:
    i wish i'd taken up rugby when i was younger, cuz it too late now :(
    Not necessarily - how old are you??? I know a couple of ppl who took it up aged 25 and over..... That said they all played GAA before hand so their ball skills were good. still, difficult to learn to tackle etc, but it can be done.
    don't knock it till you've tried it. It's gonna hurt, but it's the bestest game in the world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

the 8 wasted years between first meeting the love of my life, and being with her
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

mike65 wrote:
    I hope Elaine is reading this so she knows it could still be on! :)

Mike.

Dont think my current gf would be too pleased tbh. Just as well im using an assumed handle eh?!? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I always wanted to be a brain surgeon but I wasn't tall enough so I became a gynaecologist instead. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Hagar wrote:
    I always wanted to be a brain surgeon but I wasn't tall enough so I became a gynaecologist instead. ;)

Nice one, made me chuckle early in the morning.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

One thing I regret above all else??

Leaving the alarm clock on the table at the end of my bed one evening three years ago, thinking that I'd have to get up and turn it off and therefore stay up.

I ended up (eventually) with a slipped lumbar vertebrae and constant worry about aggravating it when I'm lifting/standing from sitting/reaching over to get something.

Fusk it to all hell :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i regret having that **** dis-morning!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

I actually have no regrets - I make no apologies or excuses for what I did in the past, cos it all helped me get to where I am now as a person & that's a good place for me to be (believe me!!!!)..... Hopefully somewhere down the line, I can say I've a few regrets - but right now... I ain't got none..... I pretty much go do what I want, when I want & how I want.... what-ifs don't cut it for me..... either you go grab life by the balls, or else it'll kick you in yours first!!!!

::: ven0mous :::

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Acting like a muppet when i broke up with my ex - I'm ashamed of myself when i imagine how I acted.

But **** it, it all worked out. Also regret not putting more effort into deciding on my college course. Might have been a better programmer than I realised after i've done a few years in IT.
    Plenty of regrets, but too much going right right now to give a fúck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Suppose one of them would not trying to buy a house years ago when they were cheap as theres no way i could afford one thesedays....... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 paulinimus

I think theres just too many instances throughout your life that could have a significant effect on your whole life (mostly involving women I might add).

I think we shouldnt beat each other up. We are the hones guys in this forum -admitting that things arent perfect.
    Yes, I stopped playing rugby too early, but my parents did make me play when I was way too bloody young! (I've played with people that should be and probably are now locked up)
    There have been gitrls I fancied - I let them know alright but I gave up to easy. I've told the all time biggest whopper of a lie - but not for personal gain - just purely for the madness of it, but it was probably a mistake. Wish I wasn't such a good actor sometimes!! : )
    I just think its pointless before your 20's. You are too young and too much can be put down to inexperience - youth is waisted on the young....
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Most of my regrets are about other people. There are certain people I wish I'd got rid of a lot sooner, because I wasted my time on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Regrets oh there is so many but im over them and moving on with my life!
    I regret not following up on my hurling after playing minor and 21's for my county giving it up "fun" and missing out on an u21 all ireland winners medal!
    I regret getting into drugs and getting off my face for 3 solid years that part of my life is a total blur now!
    I too have a few relationship regrets mainly a certain lady from cork who i never bit the bullet with and took a chance ,i let her drift away and it was there for the taking!
    Loads of smaller regrets like not going for that promotion and looking at the wrong career paths...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Wow, there's a hell of a lot of these in my life:

Not bothering to work in my post-grad and only getting a 2:2 when with any amount of work I'd have gotten a first (ridiculously easy course).
    Moving to Dublin to work in the position I'm in.
    Not having had more sense with my finances until I was already buried in debt.

And more than any of the above: not having had the sense to realise it when I was going out with the absolutely perfect person for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

I regret not travelling after school. Too many bills now :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

I regret *.* !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Turin

Oeneus wrote:
    I regret not kicking a few people's asses in school. I used to have the attutude of "just ignore it and it'll go away", but really. Beating some ass would have been quite satisfying!

Yep I agree!! I had the same problem! Did take out nearly 4 years of it on one lad after he pusshed me too far! Felt so GOOD!!!!!!!

Also wish i started rugby earlier I'm 22 now and really only starting for college!

Advertisement