Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempted child abduction Knocklyon

Options
  • 16-05-2011 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I heard off a mate yesterday that there had been two attempted child abductions in the Knocklyon/Ballycullen area over the last week or so.

I just got a text from a different mate saying the same thing and that it had been confirmed with Rathfarnham Garda station. His text said it was a couple, with a doll in the back seat of the car trying to get kids in.

Cannot find any news reports of it yet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Jesus, they should really be making a public alert about this stuff. Did they provide details of the car? (saloon/mpv, colour etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

No other details unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

:O Holy crap. Thats where I live. I haven't heard anything... horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

These rumours are always going around, I wouldn't believe it unless I heard about it through the media.

better safe than sorry though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 monthy

Unfortunately it is true , one of the children lives on my road . Link below .

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/abduction-fears-raised-in-dublin-1397698.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

monthy wrote: »
    Unfortunately it is true , one of the children lives on my road . Link below .

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/abduction-fears-raised-in-dublin-1397698.html
    Wednesday June 04 2008

That story is 3 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭good logs...

i think most off them storys are urban myths........all ways hear say.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

i don't think there has been a case of a unrelated person kidnapping a child in over 20 years in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

ted1 wrote: »
    i don't think there has been a case of a unrelated person kidnapping a child in over 20 years in Ireland.

I'd love to know the stats on that. There seems to be a constant stream of warnings from a friend of a friend's brother's neighbour (no disrespect meant OP) But I can't actually remember hearing of an abduction. If half of the rumours are true, there's a lot of really bad child abductors out there (as in not very good at it)

My cousin (honest) is on a board of management of a school and was involved in sending out a letter after being tipped off by a parent that a "dirty foreign looking guy in a white van" had motioned her child to get into the van the previous day after school. A few days later he was back and about to be lynched until somebody recognised him as the father of one of the children who had come to collect his own daughter. Normally the mother collected the child, he was a builder in work clothes, and he had simply being waving at his own daughter. Nevertheless the letter had frantically been circulated by concerned parents panicking.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

There's a long thread on the parenting forum that makes for interesting reading.

As has been said, when is the last time we have had a Madeleine McCann type child abduction in Ireland?

• Advertisement

The kid abducted from Ballyroan I think was the last one.

All the supposed incidents are a bit strange but it's better to be safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

philip currans is the kid from ballyroan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 monthy

Sorry didnt notice the date on that link . However I have been advised this is true and it has been reported to the Garda . This happened in Old Court last week . Two young girls stopped by a man and woman in a car and told to get in . I would think it was just a made up story however one of the young girls live on my road and her father had the Garda up straight away .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

can you send the abductor to my neighbourhood brats from hell moved in next door my silence is gone neighbours from hell please let someone abduct them.....on second thoughts even an abductor would return them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭TRSJ

gardai allerted schools in Rathfarnham of the attempted abduction today apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I'm teaching in a school very close to this and haven't heard a thing. These things are always 3rd party stories. They are nearly always chinese whispers and the stories get bigger as time goes on. They usually involve a white van. I remember them from when I was in school and a story would start that we should be weary of a man in a white van and by the end of the day this man had abducted half of the pupils in the nearest school during lunch break.

As someone said earlier, we haven't had a child abduction in almost 30 years (only 2 I can think of is Philip Kearns and that girl in Donegal about 10 years earlier). Definitely we should be vigilant but these stories are usually completely false.

Monthy seems pretty confident it happened.

I'd tend to err on the side of caution. You can't say they're all chinese whispers. Maybe the fact that kids are far more alert to the danger these days has contributed to the fact that none have been abducted in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

I just recieved a text from my sons playchool to say this has been confirmed by Garda.

True or not its scary and extra caution will do no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

We had a scare last summer with some of the neighbouring kids reporting that men in a van were round photographing the kids. I didn't take too much notice, till we had the same report from a neighbouring estate.

The word back from the Gardai after a few days was that they found some travellers in a van who were indeed taking photos - of nice driveways, to be claimed as part of their driveway portfolio to show to potential customers.

Advertisement