Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mercury QTP

Options
  • 16-05-2011 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Does anyone know where I can get a trial version of Mercury QTP or another package which allows me to record simple data entry and mouse clicks. I am trying to replicate a bug but I need to be able to run a sequence of about 5 mouseclicks and 1 numeric entry about 250 times so if I could have it running in the background it would save me a lot of time.

Cheers,

Mark.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

What you want to download is HP Functional Testing 11.00 Evaluation. You must register to download this software however at https://h10078.www1.hp.com/cda/hpdc/display/main/index.jsp?zn=bto&cp=54_4012_100__ & expect sales calls. Would it not make more sense to use something like junit / Ruby On Rails for a one off test?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭markst33

Are these easy to install ? i am not a programmer

If your not a programmer I dunno about using QTP. To do anything useful in it the recorder isnt much good tbh, no better than the recorder that apple ship with their machines by default. To really gain benefit you must manually write vbscripts to control the operation but you must also set up methods for storing your info etc.
    What language is the app written in? Is it browser based or a client side app?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭markst33

Its a browser. Its quite a simple test its just repetitive (200 times) but all it involved is clicking Deposit, clicking in the Amount field, entering in 22, clicking Deposit, waiting 7 seconds and clicking Close and then start at the beginning again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What about Selenium? It sounds just like what you need. I've used it in a few projects to automate front-end testing e.g. filling out web forms, pressing buttons and verifying that things look like they are supposed to.

• Advertisement

I would suggest using a tool like firebug to find out the ID's and object names of the objects you want to select and use a language such as junit or ruby on rails for running the test. Personally I think that using QTP would be a mammoth task for such a small job!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

Selenium IDE – add on for Firefox, can record actions & playback.

Selenium RC + C#/Python/Java/Ruby – can programmatically control/create tests.

Advertisement