Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSTN line Vs ISDN line

Options
  • 16-05-2011 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Not sure if this is in the right forum?

Our new business currently has two available PSTN lines. We are comtemplating upgrading the line to ISDN and buying a new ISDN system as we only have an old PBX system.

Our main requirement is to have 3 different/virtual phone numbers on these Lines. Can anyone advise me if PSTN lines are capable of having more than one phone number. What is the major differences for a small business when choosing PSTN or ISDN lines?

Appreciate any sort of help! Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 DocToxic

Why don't you just get in a DSL line and upgrade to a VOIP PBX, also i could be wrong but small groups ISDN lines can only carry data (or voip)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭swampgas

You can have two numbers per ISDN line, if it's the smaller version (what I know as 2B+D, don't know what Eircom call it) or far more with a PRI or fractional PRI ISDN line - usually 15 or 31 "lines" for want of a better term.

With two normal PSTN (aka POTS - Plain Old Telephony Service) lines, you have one number per line.

If you upgrade one POTS line to ISDN, you can have two numbers, connected to different extensions. Maybe get the second POTS line converted to ADSL, so you have your third number plus broadband.

I have no idea what Eircom charge for ISDN so I would second DocToxic and recommend you check out the VOIP options - if you can run all your phone lines off a broadband connection, you might be able to save a lot of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭swampgas

DocToxic wrote: »
    Why don't you just get in a DSL line and upgrade to a VOIP PBX, also i could be wrong but small groups ISDN lines can only carry data (or voip)

ISDN lines can carry voice or data, or both.

You have 2 B channels of 64 kbps and one D channel of 16 kbps.

The B channels can carry voice or data.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

OP,

What is your current PBX setup, it is easily take an ISDN BRI / PRI ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Here is a mad idea, get everyone a mobile phone with a bundle that allows free calls to each other.

What features would it miss apart from being able to transfer calls at the press of one button ?

ISDN is very old tech at this stage and means lots of line rental.

If you get a pabx who will program it, who will manage it ?

While you can map virtual numbers on ISDN , iirc you can also forward virtual numbers too , so the pabx don't need to be intelligent (you pay for the transfer for the local call , but you get a lot of local calls for the price of a better pabx)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Dulchie

Be Careful !
    You can not normally use an ISDN line for broadband. If you are currently using one of the current lines for Broadband you would need to retain an existing telephone line.

Advertisement