Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opportunity to Move to Dubai - Best Place to Live?

Options
  • 16-05-2011 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi! Can anyone offer some advice here please. I have an opportunity for a position which is based in Internet City.

I would initially move over myself with the better half to follow within a month or two. The budget for housing is 200k AED p.a. which I don't necessarily need to use in full. We would want a location that is half & half - relaxing but with some hustle & bustle. I have heard that crime is relatively high in Bur Dubai but would rather hear from others experiences.

I'm trying to get a feel for the pro's & con's of some different areas, and also I don't want to spend half my life commuting to & from the office! I also don't want somewhere where the wife would get bored out of her tree during the day!

I'm also wondering how easy or difficult it is to get a car. I understand you can 'swap' your Irish driving licence for a full licence over there. Is this true?

Many Thanks.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭roryq

Do you know what Building you are going to be working in Dubai Internet City. For the likes of Building 1-10 you are looking at The Lakes or Springs.

I live in the Greens which is two mins away from DIC. Which is 5 mins from metro has everything you want around it. But it is apartment living. The Lakes is all villa's bout 10mins to the metro or 15mins to mall of emirates.

You would get a nice place in the lakes for that. Have a look at www.dubizzle.com you would get a rough idea of what you will get in the area. Any questions give me a shout or IM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Will_H

Thanks Rory - much appreciated!

Yes, I've been trawling through dubizzle, so have a good idea what I can get style/size wise. I'm just unsure of location for reasons below. And I don't particularly want/need to use all of the allowance! However, what is important is commute time & also ensuring that the other half is within walking distance to amenities etc.

Re travel times to work, I presume these are during peak hours by car? Also, when you say 15 mins to the mall of Emirates, is that by foot or by car?

Also, can you recommend any good estate agents!? (If there is such a thing!!) ;)

If I'm successful it will be building 1-10.

Thanks again
    Will

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭roryq

Yeah Peak time for that area is between 8:30-9:00am. The one thing I would say about that area is to try and be there before 8:30am or you will not get a parking space there. To be honest it can be fairly crazy.

When I talk about the commute times it is all by car. Cause the transportation links too and from the estates in Dubai are pretty bad. So a car is the best way to get around here. Or by taxi. A taxi from the greens or the lakes is around €4 to the mall of the emirates.

When looking for estate agents ensure that are all RERA certified. There is a number of agencies you can hire to find houses on your behalf.

Lastly I'm not too sure if anyone has told you how the rents work here but you pay in cheques which are post dated. But obviously your company is going to look after that for you. So that part you do not need to worry about.

So for building 1-10 in DIC I would suggest the lakes if you have a family and you want a villa. Or the greens if you don't mind apartment living.

I know of one rental agency but I will need to get there name later for you.

Advertisement