Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Johnstown Castle, Wexford. Easy to find?

Options
  • 16-05-2011 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm completely unfamiliar with Co Wexford, and will soon be heading to visit Johnstown Castle. I've got the directions to the place, but was just wondering if its easy enough to find?
    I know a lot of castles can be quite well hidden away and off the beaten path, and if anyone could advise landmarks to watch out for to help me avoid getting lost, it would be appreciated.

(I'm guessing it will be signposted, but want to ask, just in case its not).

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Archeron wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm completely unfamiliar with Co Wexford, and will soon be heading to visit Johnstown Castle. I've got the directions to the place, but was just wondering if its easy enough to find?
    I know a lot of castles can be quite well hidden away and off the beaten path, and if anyone could advise landmarks to watch out for to help me avoid getting lost, it would be appreciated.

(I'm guessing it will be signposted, but want to ask, just in case its not).

Cheers!

Simple to find-it's just off the main Rosslare road just outside Wexford.If you're heading from Dublin stay on the N11 Southbound in the direction of Rosslare,there's a junction where you turn off for the place about halfway between the roundabout at the Whitford Hotel and the Drinagh Roundabout beside leisuremax.It's the road for Murrintown/Piercestown.It's signposted anyway so hard to miss it,the Castle is beside the road so you can't go too far wrong.

http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=piercestown+wexford&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x48681c14951ed30b:0xa00c7a997321ab0,Piercestown,+Co.+Wexford&gl=ie&ei=og3RTYe3DYml-gbFnqDrCQ&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQ8gEwAA

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

absoilutely beautiful spot.... unfortunately the castle is still closed evne though i was told that reportedly there is meant to be the long missing 1.5m on its way in the next year apparently to do the place up!

still...the ground are beautiful, the agriculture museum is opena nd nice and a nice coffee shop there also....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Hi all,

if anyone could advise landmarks to watch out for to help me avoid getting lost,

QUOTE]

Look for the castle, its a big stone building

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

donalg1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

if anyone could advise landmarks to watch out for to help me avoid getting lost,

QUOTE]

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Missent

You can't see the castle from the perimeter roads so the old estate walls are what you should out for if travelling by car. It's well sign-posted from the N11 so you can't miss it really.

The entrance charges are now in place. I think its 6 euro for a single car and passengers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Eliza1

donalg1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

QUOTE]

Hi - watch out for the Whitford Roundabout and head towards Rosslare. The turn off for Johnstown Castle is not far beyond (to the right) and as previous posters have said it is well signposted.

UPDATE !!!!
    Travelled that road today and noticed that the roundabout is called Duncannon Road Roundabout. Duh!! Its amazing that I have used this road for so long and assumed it was officially called Whitford Roundabout which is what it is generally known as in the Wexford area! Sorry for any confusion!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I see you are travelling from Co. Meath . - So whether you decide to take the N11 or the N25 , you will still arrive at the same roundabout just outside Wexford Town .
    Its called the '' New Ross Road Roundabout ''

From here, follow the signpost for Rosslare , and JC is well signposted .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

Nice one everyone, thanks! A fine castle indeed. Appreciate the advice.

Advertisement