Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers

• 16-05-2011 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else read this?.I first read it about 15 years ago,and thought it was top notch read.Its one of those books that I planned to read again,but never got around to it.Still have the orignal book in my collection,so will try to find time soon.Tim Powers is one of my favourite authors , so hopefully the movie tie in will bring him to the attention of new readers.

:mad:Would have preferred to see the book filmed in its own right,rather than tied into Pirates of the Caribbean.

"Damn ye, yellow-bellied sapsuckers.Jack Shandy! is me name.

Ps.Don't let the film put you off this book.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Templar1117

On stranger Tides is a superb read, marrying Pirate lore with supernatural elements, all of Powers books that I've read I've loved. would you know anymore Pirate themed books worth reading?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Paddy S - I still plan on reading this after a recommendation from yourself in Sci-fi.

Have had difficulty finding it but might make it the first download for the eReader I see in my future. :)
    Had no idea the POTC movie was related to it (won't hold it against it!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Dades wrote: »
    :)
    Had no idea the POTC movie was related to it (won't hold it against it!)

Don't as the film ,has very little in common with this book.In it's own right it would have made a better film.Blackbeard,voodoo magic and zombies,but not as portrayed in the film .
    I was dissapointed that Powers sold the book name to them.The upside is it will introduce more readers to Tim Powers,and may get his back catalogue republished.
    This book follows the exploits of John "Jack Shandy" Chandagnac, who travels to the new world after the death of his puppeteer father to confront his uncle, who apparently has made off with the family inheritance. During the voyage, he gets to know a woman named Beth Hurwood and her father Benjamin Hurwood, an Oxford professor. Before they arrive, their ship is waylaid by pirates and, with the help of the professor and his assistant, the captain is killed and Chandagnac is forced to join the pirate crew. The reader discovers a sinister plot being concocted by the professor involving his dead wife, his living daughter, the fountain of youth , and Blackbeard. Chandagnac, now known as "Jack Shandy", must put a stop to these plans and save Beth Hurwood.

And although Johnny Depp(one of my favourite actors) is brilliant as Jack Sparrow , Jack Shandy is the MAN!.

Just reread it about two weeks back....still as good as I remembered it.........a top notch read.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I've read "The Anubis Gates" and "The Stress of Her Regard". How does this compare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭Arlecchina

ixoy wrote: »
    I've read "The Anubis Gates" and "The Stress of Her Regard". How does this compare?

I've read 'The Anubis Gates' (loved) and 'The Drawing of the Dark' (really enjoyed), and 'On Stranger Tides' is definitely my favourite of the three. Disclaimer: I was practically weaned on the Monkey Island games, so I may be slightly biased. ;)

I love Jack Shandy, but I have to give a shout out to Captain Phil Davies — my favourite fictional pirate ever. It's such a shame that OST wasn't made into a film of its own right. I haven't seen the latest Pirates film, but I hear the book has been butchered beyond recognition. That said, I do love the idea of Al Swearengen as Blackbeard!

This reminds me: I have 'Last Call' sitting on my shelf waiting to be read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Tim Powers = Class

Advertisement