Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass Cutting goes into landfill as general waste.

• 16-05-2011 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

This is a pure show of the Politicans lying about basic Enviromental protection.
    Grass cutting is treated as landfill at the collection Sites in Waterford.
    Including the cost for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Thought the landfill in Waterford is closed? isnt all the rubbish from Waterford going to Carlow landfill now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

This is a pure show of the Politicans lying about basic Enviromental protection.
    Grass cutting has to go into the landfill at in Waterford.
    Including the cost for it.

This country is a disgrace, those cuttings could be put into an anaerobic digestor and used to generate power. Instead there they are being dumpe on a landfill site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

O Riain wrote: »
    This country is a disgrace, those cuttings could be put into an anaerobic digestor and used to generate power. Instead there they are being dumpe on a landfill site.

whats the cost of one of those units that could take all of waterfords grass cutting waste?? maint costs?? cost to pick up just the grass collections to bring to there?? and whats the payback on them how many years???

robtri wrote: »
    whats the cost of one of those units that could take all of waterfords grass cutting waste?? maint costs?? cost to pick up just the grass collections to bring to there?? and whats the payback on them how many years???

Well you can use more than just grass cuttings, any organic material that has a low Dry Matter content can be used.
    Theres more to it than just payback thou(on a governmental sense) and numbers here are difficult to obtain, a guy in Shanagolden Limerick built one for around €1.2 million after grants, the output of that plant im not sure of so the price that bord gais/esb is irrelevent.
    In the UK your talking about a payback period of about 5 years with a 2.9MWh/annum output but im almost positive they get a better price for the gas and input money would be less. Possibly about 6-7 years here?
    Anyway as i said its more than just cost, you cut CO2, reduce landfill and generate power, whereas with landfill you do none of these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

O Riain wrote: »
    Well you can use more than just grass cuttings, any organic material that has a low Dry Matter content can be used.
    Theres more to it than just payback thou(on a governmental sense) and numbers here are difficult to obtain, a guy in Shanagolden Limerick built one for around €1.2 million after grants, the output of that plant im not sure of so the price that bord gais/esb is irrelevent.
    In the UK your talking about a payback period of about 5 years with a 2.9MWh/annum output but im almost positive they get a better price for the gas and input money would be less. Possibly about 6-7 years here?
    Anyway as i said its more than just cost, you cut CO2, reduce landfill and generate power, whereas with landfill you do none of these.

had a quick search, the unit has enough power to so that 4/5 powers the family home and 1/5 is sold to the esb... for a 1.2 million investment i would say the payback is alot longer than 5 years....

http://www.britannica.com/bps/additionalcontent/18/37283512/TUNING-MANURE-INTO-MONEY

money isnt everything true, but seems like a whole lot of work to get a few miserbale watts of power

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

robtri wrote: »
    had a quick search, the unit has enough power to so that 4/5 powers the family home and 1/5 is sold to the esb... for a 1.2 million investment i would say the payback is alot longer than 5 years....

http://www.britannica.com/bps/additionalcontent/18/37283512/TUNING-MANURE-INTO-MONEY

money isnt everything true, but seems like a whole lot of work to get a few miserbale watts of power

see the other thing is you can charge people to take your waste, sell on the digestate afterwards(provided it doesnt break any of the department of agricultures millions of rules) and one the payback period has been passed the power is essentially free. Take into account the fines that are surely inevitable for us as result of our CO2 emissions. Also then at the same time, it is not an intermittent power source like wind and solar and for an agriculturally strong country like Eire it will promote energy independence, which will be a massive issue, if not already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Is there not a facility at the Six Cross Roads that takes all the organic waste collected from brown bins or am I missing the point here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

tonc76 wrote: »
    Is there not a facility at the Six Cross Roads that takes all the organic waste collected from brown bins or am I missing the point here?

I thought so too, we must both be wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

Is the green road facility closed?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

There are two places in Waterford. I cant recall which takes which. The first is at Kilbary, just below Topaz on Cork Road. The second is out there o the Green Road (just off the Cork Road). The Kilbary one is still open anyway and I thought all grass cuttings (brown bin) was free..

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭alphasounds

I was at greenstar six cross roads and the Council run kilbarry site.
    Both charging for general waste in kilbarry it goes for shure into the Landfill Dumper truck.
    The other site for green waste is closed.
    I do not have a waterford council waste account for a brown Bin.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I was at greenstar six cross roads and the Council run kilbarry site.
    Both charging for general waste in kilbarry it goes for shure into the Landfill Dumper truck.
    The other site for green waste is closed.
    I do not have a waterford council waste account for a brown Bin.

Would they not collect the brown bin anyway, since its free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Well if they'd collect the brown bin anyway i'd get one. I bring my rubbish to the Big Blue Bin on the cork road as it only costs me about €65 a year, whereas the cheapest i can get (Ferrybank) is €320 approx. But i've nowhere to put my grass cuttings and at €4.50 for 2 bags of clippings it's a tad expensive...

Advertisement