Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting to Multiple Wireless Routers Simultaneously

• 16-05-2011 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Having recently switched from eircom to Vodafone I now have two wireless routers.

As soon as I got connected to Vodafone I simply ip'd into the old eircom and changed the settings. Everything seems to be working fine so I decided not to bother with the vodafone router as I heard it can give trouble.

Then I had an idea yesterday. I decided I was going to use the Vodafone router as dedicated file server.

So the setup is:

Eircom Router for Internet
    Vodafone as a File server

Vodafone is connected via LAN cable to my WDTV LIVE which in turn in connected to a 1TB harddive.

I then use my labtop to connect wirelessly to the Vodafone router which enables me to transfer files from my Labtop to the harddrive connected to the WDTVLIVE @ about 2-4 mb /s.

Ok so all that works, however this setup does not allow me to connect to both routers at once. It was a pain in the A having to switch between the two connections to get the internet when I need to.

I searched a good bit and can't find the solution.

From what i've found out so far it look like I'll have to change the third octal on the second router:
    to
    This also involves changing the DHCP settings etc.

Another solution suggested changing the TCP/IP on the primary router. For the life of me i can't find the link to that solution. The guy had a screen shot of him connected to both wireless networks.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm competent enough with computers but when it comes to networking i suck!

Thanks,
    Jhet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

The vodafone router is a HG556a

and the eircom one is a netopia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

These routers are DSL modems, with routing. They can't be used as stand alone routers. What you are doing is using it as a wireless switch, not a router. You also can't connect to the two of them wirelessly at the same time, unless you have two wireless network cards in the computer. If you were to use two routers, they would have to be in different IP address ranges, as would the two wireless cards.

I'm not sure why you can't just have everything off the one router anyway.

Advertisement