Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice - Buying a Fixer-Upper in Westmeath, Roscommon, Longford or Leitrim area.

• 16-05-2011 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

I am looking to buy a fixer-upper rural property with a few acres of land in the Westmeath, Roscommon, Longford or Leitrim area.

My budget is in the 60-80k euros range and I intend doing most of the work myself when doing it up.

With my 60-80k budget in mind, what do you think is the highest advertised price of properties I should be looking at?

Also, I suspect the market is very slow or non-existent in the more rural areas at the moment.

Thanks for any responses in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Not being from the area all I can say is, a relation was selling a bingalow in a town for quite a while and the lack of interest due to the slow market drove him to take it off the market. He just couldnt have been bothered with the hassle. That was in Leitrim.

I would assume you should look at properties within your budget but maybe 10 - 15k above also. Some estate agents are putting prices higher knowing they are going to attract people looking to negotiate down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭up4it

Smelltheglove: Thanks for the info.

I know what you mean about agents adding extra to the price knowing the buyer will try to reduce the price they pay.

It makes buying a property more difficult and more important to do some research into the area before buying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭Ratzo Rizzo

If you're a cash buyer then you're in a very strong position to negotiate a good deal. Don't forget, it's a buyers market right now and you hold all the cards. If a property is on the market its because the owner wants to sell it, pure and simple! If an estate agent tells you there's an offer on the property in most cases you can ignore them and tell them that you'll offer 'X' in cash and no more. Like I said, if they want to sell they may take your offer. If they don't move on to the next property. A work colleague who is looking to buy saw a house on the market for 380k, offered 260k and was accepted!
    Good luck with your search!

Advertisement