Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security Alert in London

Options
  • 16-05-2011 12:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭

Looks like there is a security alert in London ahead of the Queen's visit, seems to be happening more often!!

http://news.sky.com/skynews/

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,490 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Yep. Coded message too! Expect these to get very "normal" for this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Take it to the London Forum

No, wait.....ah balls :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Looks like there is a security alert in London ahead of the Queen's visit, seems to be happening more often!!

http://news.sky.com/skynews/

but...the queen lives in london :confused:

btw we already have a queen megathread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 dizzler

tick tock tick tock tick tock.

hope nothing bad is about to happen..........

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Any chance of a link to the actual story?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I see what they did there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

FFS, more people acting in our name, dragging our name through the mud!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The_B_Man wrote: »
    FFS, more people acting in our name, dragging our name through the mud!

...poxy shower that Jedward allright....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭Eastcoastryan

Any chance of a link to the actual story?

It's only on the Breaking News Ticker at the minute, there is no write up as yet. I will post link when there is one! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

It's only on the Breaking News Ticker at the minute, there is no write up as yet. I will post link when there is one! :)

You're like a young Kay Burley!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Trust our terroists to targetthe one place she is not going to be for the next week...

Bleedin typical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Irish republican dissidents have issued a coded bomb threat for central London, Scotland Yard confirmed.

More to follow...

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Bomb-Threat-London-Irish-Republican-Dissidents-Issue-Coded-Bomb-Threat-For-London/Article/201105315993005?lpos=UK_News_First_Home_Article_Teaser_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15993005_Bomb_Threat_London%3A_Irish_Republican_Dissidents_Issue_Coded_Bomb_Threat_For_London

Hmmm its coded so there might actually be a bomb. Anyone remember if the provos wold have hoaxes with code words?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,055 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

http://in.reuters.com/article/2011/05/16/idINIndia-57044520110516

Central London street closed in UK security alert

LONDON (Reuters) - A central London avenue leading to Buckingham Palace was closed in a security alert on Monday on the eve of a visit to Ireland by Britain's Queen Elizabeth and a week before U.S. President Barack Obama visits Britain.
    In a separate incident, police carried out a controlled explosion to destroy a suspicious bag in a central London street, although it turned out to be harmless, a police spokesman said.
    The spokesman said there was an "ongoing security alert" in central London but refused to say what had prompted it or whether it was connected to next week's state visit by Obama.
    "There are security checks going on in and around the Mall," he said.
    The Mall is the broad avenue leading to Buckingham Palace, the residence of Queen Elizabeth, who goes to Dublin on Tuesday for the first visit by a British monarch since King George V in 1911.
    Militant groups opposed to British control of Northern Ireland are the biggest risk during the queen's four-day visit, which will be surrounded by intense security.
    A 1998 deal ending Irish nationalists' guerrilla war against British rule of Northern Ireland set the clock ticking on a royal visit but it was not until police and justice powers were transferred from London to Belfast last year, the last piece of devolution, that the diplomatic wheels could be set in motion.

There's a lot of talk about it on Twitter. This damn visit could all end in disaster before it even begins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

kfallon wrote: »
    Take it to the London Forum

No, wait.....ah balls :pac:

There is one :)

Moved from AH.

In a separate incident, police carried out a controlled explosion to destroy a suspicious bag in a central London street, although it turned out to be harmless, a police spokesman said.

Im sorry, I had to laugh at that

g'em wrote: »
    There is one :)

Moved from AH.
    This is ridiculous, what sort of discussion forum are you running?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Wheelie King

Let's hope it's nothing but i also hope the queen does'nt make it over here. It's all going to end in tears if she does.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Wolfe Tone wrote: »

Silence...

No Questioning the moderators.:D

Though to be fair I do believe that this should belong in AH as it is a big issue at the moment. It'll die a death here.

Seems a bit anal alright.. and not in the good sense

• Advertisement

Security has been tightened in the capital after a "non-specific" threat was issued to authorities last night.
    A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "A bomb threat warning has been received relating to central London today. The threat is not specific in relation to location or time."

FFS Sky news exaggerating stuff yet again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 dizzler

wow, living in britain the media is pretty sure something is going to go off.
    what are the odds do you reckon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Agree.

Some moderators like moderating more than others, unfortunately.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Silence...

No Questioning the moderators.:D

Though to be fair I do believe that this should belong in AH as it is a big issue at the moment. It'll die a death here.

All related threads have to be approved by Royal Appointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Wheelie King

dizzler wrote: »
    wow, living in britain the media is pretty sure something is going to go off.
    what are the odds do you reckon?
    Zero i hope

kfallon wrote: »
    You're like a young Kay Burley!

That's the worst abuse I've ever seen on Boards.:eek:

Bomb warning received in London

A bomb warning has been received relating to central London, the Metropolitan Police has confirmed.

The force said the threat did not provide specifics about location or time.

The Mall and other central London streets were closed on Monday morning although a link has not been confirmed.

The warning is thought to be related to Irish dissident republicans but the threat level for Northern Ireland-related terrorism has not been changed.

A police statement said officers have been advised to be highly vigilant.

The BBC understands the police received a coded bomb warning.

The police have told the public to continue going about their business but to be vigilant.

BBC security correspondent Gordon Corera said: "My understanding is that this may have come because of a coded warning, which is why there is more concern about it than normal. Threats come in and out all the time.

"But if it was a specific code word warning, that would suggest something more serious and that would be why we have had this alert."

He added it was significant that the threat level from dissident Irish terrorism had not been raised.

"Officials I have spoken to are trying to stress that it is not as if they have concrete intelligence of a specific attack at a particular time, or that would have gone up high in terms of the threat."

Earlier on Monday, The Mall and Carlton House Terrace were closed after a disturbed manhole cover sparked an alert.

Threat level
    The Metropolitan Police have confirmed they are investigating a break-in at Carlton Gardens but could not confirm whether or not the incident was linked to the closure.

The building involved is believed to be 2 Carlton Gardens, which houses the Institute for Government think-tank.

That is adjacent to the foreign secretary's residence, where William Hague is believed to have been at the time.

BBC pictures from the scene show a van of search dogs, and the Met's underwater and confined spaces search team.

The current threat level from international terrorism for the UK is assessed as severe.

The threat level for Northern Ireland-related terrorism is set separately for Northern Ireland and Great Britain. In Northern Ireland it is severe and in Great Britain substantial.

Severe means that a terrorist attack is highly likely, substantial that an attack is a strong possibility.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13412871

Gonna be a loooonggg week.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm aware this thread started in AH, but it's not in AH any more...keep to the topic at hand please folks.

I'm bored of hearing about the Queen already, because if it's not speculation about all the horrible things that might happen from one side it's moaning about her visiting the country at all from the other.

Theres a thread in politics now for those who are interested

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

There is significantly greater chance of one of us choking to death on a walkers salt and vinegar crisp from a Tesco meal deal than being killed by a bomb.

Advertisement