Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House sale

Options
  • 16-05-2011 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

we want to sell our house but don't want to use auctioneers ..any suggestions would be appreciated..tnx in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved from N&F.

I'm not sure this is the ideal location, maybe Prices/Costs would have been better.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

not really the right location, what about the "property and accomodation" forum....

or maybe the "gambling" forum ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

While you decide where it belongs...

I sold our house last year without an agent (one viewing, sale agreed 24 hours later, sold 8 weeks after that). You need to find a listing site (or many of them) that you are happy with. Take photos, list the property, outline its selling points (if there are similar houses for sale check their listings for details). Decide on a price & be realistic.

You can print flyers, put ads in local papers, local sign makers will make a sign for you for less than €100.

You may have interest, you may have none but in this market you are going to have to work at selling it & accept that people are going to look for more than you are willing to give (price/fixtures & fittings/appliances).

If your home is not 1 day away from a standard that you would bd happy to show it at get busy. You have to be able to say yes to a viewing tomorrow. You can google tips for presenting your home but one that really stuck with me was that all bedrooms should have a bed in them, don't expect people to use their imagination because they won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,085 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved from C & P to A & P

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sapphireazure

thanks for info ..appreciated..will look into options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I recently viewed a property that the owner is marketing themselves. Giving a view from a buyers perspective.

I found the property no problem as they put in up on Daft. I have a email alert system when houses enter my search criteria. I think most serious buyers would have something simular set up, once your listing goes up this should trigger lots of emails to people subscribed. Not sure about the need for a sign however maybe it could alert a friend of a neighbour etc.

Regarding the viewing, it had its ups and downs I could ask questions to the owner about the area however maybe an EA could give a slightly better pitch and not make me ask all the questions.

I'd recommend giving potential buyers private viewings instead of a public show, I hate viewing when there are couples standing around the landing waiting for you to finish in a room etc.

And importantly be realistic on the price, check the local properties for sale and in simular areas and give as an unbiased priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

LoTwan wrote: »
    You may have interest, you may have none but in this market you are going to have to work at selling it & accept that people are going to look for more than you are willing to give (price/fixtures & fittings/appliances).

I'll second that. There is no doubt in my mind that you cant sell your house privately yourself. Lets face it you would probably do much better than many Estate Agents out there. From a buyers point of view I've had to deal with phone calls not being returned, emails ignored, arranging viewings only for the EA to come along without a key as they had lost or mislaid them, failing to communicate offers back to the vendor etc.

There is no doubt though that it will take hard work and commitment along with above all a realistic asking price to sell your house. I would suggest that you leave your emotions at the door. It is your home and for sure you are at least somewhat emotionally attached to it but there is no room for sentiment in business. There is no doubt that some vendors are living in cloud cuckoo land but the same can be said of a certain number of buyers too. There are some buyers out there who reckon they should have enough change out of a €50 to buy a kebab and a box of fags after buying your house, but you will need to deal with these guys and get on with it...not very easy for all. Remain focused and objective throughout.

It goes without saying that you should ensure your house is as clean and presentable as possible for viewings. There are an absolute raft of tips and hints on the web on this and how to increase the curb appeal of a house. It may be a necessary evil to allow viewings at times that don't best suit you or even unsocialable hours, remember that the ball is truly in the buyers court.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    I'd recommend giving potential buyers private viewings instead of a public show, I hate viewing when there are couples standing around the landing waiting for you to finish in a room etc.

Although I whole heartadly agree with your point the one thing I will add is to put valuables, money, jewellery etc away from prying eyes. You just cannot be too careful. My mother bought a bed recently from a large and well recognized furniture store near here (mentioning no names). It was delivered to the house and assembled. It transpired after that the guys who assembled it also helped themselves to a few bags of 1 euro coins bagged and ready to be taken to the bank. You learn by your mistakes

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I mentioned this before and thought it worth adding.

Whether irrationally or not, if I was buying a house I would prefer to deal with an EA. I would be slightly put off dealing with the owner themselves and would prefer to keep all dealings through a third party. For one I'd feel more comfortable offering the asking less 20% to an EA than to the owners face.

I'm not saying if the property was right I wouldn't get involved, mind.

Advertisement