Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism

Options
  • 16-05-2011 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

Hi,

Did a computer science degree up until 4th year when I dropped out for medical reasons, got a pass degree, have been working as a programmer ever since. Want to get into journalism, so figure the best way to do that is to do some sort of course.

Somethign like the DIT masters sounds idea but they have a minimum req of 2.2 honours degree, then there is the DCU journo course which has a minimum req of a HB3 in honours english, I got a C (IIRC).

Ideally I see myself going to some far flung country where there is a war going on and writing about what is happening there.

Have no money saved so would probably need to do that.

Has anyone done anything similar to this here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

I'm a qualified accountant and having been thinking for the last year or so about changing career, almost 40 (mid life crisis time) and have always fancied journalism but, i don't have a degree, just a National Diploma in Accounting & then studied CIMA at night.
    Also as I only got a C in honours English in my LC back in the day I'm a bit unsure where I would stand if I was to try to go back to study full time.

Is there some access courses? I'm abroad and have been for 15 years so I'm completely in the dark as to what is available and where. Because of spending so long out of the country I wouldn't be entitled to too much from the state I suspect so maybe an evening class initially to try and get going....

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cairdre

Hi

as you are both mature students traditional entry requirements do not apply to you. If you can both demonstrate a high level of writing ability that may be sufficient. I would recommend that you both start writing and try and get material published that will be the best way to get onto the masters.

Good luck

Advertisement