Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any where i can buy a upc type of modem

• 16-05-2011 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

Ok so i just moved home, and the internet modem is at the back of the house in the mother's bedroom with the phone's hooked up into it the bedrooms kinda far away from the front of the house its an extended bedroom, anyway i just cant get a signal in the front bedroom's i rang upc to see i could get a second modem as a upc box is in my room to hook the modem up to but they wont send me out a second one :mad:

Can i buy a modem anywhere that hooks up to the tv cable box like the upc modems ? because this is pissing me right of.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭neilboard

You could get yourself a wireless router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

neilboard wrote: »
    You could get yourself a wireless router.

Im not to tech savy when it comes to these things, Im not sure how a wireless router would solve would solve the problem like i have a wifi on my laptop but the signal drops all the time in the front of the house, if i get a wireless router would that not loose the signal aswell if i had it in the front of the house ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

best solution is a powerline adaptor, youd spend what you spend on those on a decent wireless router either way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭neilboard

I picked up a wireless router in pc world for around 50 odd euro and it has a range of 150m. Unless you have a mansion there shold be no problems with it. The ntl wireless router is nothing short of useless imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

thanks for the help people :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Is it your phone signal that doesn't reach the front of the house or is it your wireless signal.

If it's your phone signal, I'm not sure what you should do.

If it's your wireless internet, you should just get an Airport Express and set it up to extend your network.

I can't think of too many circumstances where one would need two cable modems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

They won't supply a 2nd cable modem because you would need a second account for it. The simple solution is the power line adapters, though those have their drawbacks. A long Ethernet cable, if you can run it along the wall or something, would be the cheapest and most reliable.

A wireless router configured as a range extender (wireless access point), may also help, but it sounds as though you have something that is limiting or interfering with your Wifi anyway, so this might not help much. A change of router may or may not help either.

Advertisement