Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xbox disc drive on the way out?

• 16-05-2011 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

Hi, my drive has been acting up for a while, certain games wouldn't play but now it has gotten worse and wont play any games.
    Is it a big job replacing the disk drive, if it is, I prob will just buy a new xbox, so would it be worth anything at all or is it ready for the bin? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Its not too big a job.easiest way to do it is to buy the exact same drive as your old one and swap the board from your old drive into your new drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭monster1

Ya i took the drive out to give it a clean and see if it would work but no joy, where would the best/ cheapest place for a replacement drive, its a phillips lite-on drive. Thanks for the help.

I'd say have a look on ebay.I'd say the lite-on would involve a bit of soldering in order to swap the boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

It's not as simple as swapping drives like for like though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

I have the same problem, but I've found that if you install any game to your HD and just boot the said game up to the start menu just take it out and play the game you want to play it works fine. Bit of a pain but saves messing

• Advertisement

I couldn't install any game, it would always get to about 25% and then say the disc is dirty, this was with a brand new disc. It wont read anything at all now though so it needs a new drive.
    So if I swap the board from DVD drive on to the new one, I don't have to flash it?
    Its a 60GB xbox, I bought it in 2010, do they fail that quick?

yeah if you swap the board from your old drive into your new drive you'll be good to go.you will need to do a bit of soldering to swap the boards though.Have you tried adjusting the pot on the drive?pot-tweak-for-xbox-360-lite-on-drive

Yes, I tried adjusting the pot on it, It didn't work, I'll get a new drive and swap the boards, I'll let ye know if I got it working, thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

monster1 wrote: »
    I couldn't install any game, it would always get to about 25% and then say the disc is dirty, this was with a brand new disc. It wont read anything at all now though so it needs a new drive.
    So if I swap the board from DVD drive on to the new one, I don't have to flash it?
    Its a 60GB xbox, I bought it in 2010, do they fail that quick?

nasty, sometimes its taken me a few goes, if you only got it last year is it still underwarrenty??

Advertisement