Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 year old lying

Options
  • 16-05-2011 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Can you let me know if this is the wrong thread to post on. We have a 6 year old, wonderful son, since he started school in September he has started telling lies. We want to knock it on the head, before these lies escalate into bigger ones. Its so frustrating, because he is a very loving child. Anyone else have/had this problem, any advice much appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Split out from the Useful links thread into its own one.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Is it lying about stuff he's done or not supposed to have done or telling tales about other things/people?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 willielovesall

You should be happy. Lying at that age shows an great intelligence. It shows a mix of logic, creativity, tactical and forward thinking skills that probably sets him apart from his peers.

He might also be bored. Best thing to sort that out is to challenge him. Challenge him with bored games, puzzels, extra math homework etc. . .A child that needs to be nurtured. Also try some sports too. I'm coach myself and I can tell you all kids love sport(even the not so sporty ones)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 michaelbuble

Thanks for the comments

nicowa, he is lying about things he has done, and as I said they are only small lies, but we don't want these lies escalating into bigger ones. Willielovesall, we do all you have said, he is a very intelligent child, and loves playing football, and is always out playing on his bike or go kart, he is always writing, and reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

The I suggest that you keep catching him out in them.
    That you impress upon him that if he tells lies he can not be trusted and that lies are hurtful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Since he likes to read, go to the library and try find a book with the story of "The boy who cried wolf".

I'd also suggest sitting down with him...in a very adult fashion to impress importance of the topic, and explain to him how disappointed you are whenever he lies. Go a little overboard on the emotions so that he sees you visible upset (not angry) about it. Guilt is a wonderful thing...:D

Also explain to him that if he lies, then it's going to be hard for him to remember what lies he told, and to whom, so it is easier to just not to lie in the first place.

If it still doesn't work, then he's going to have to see that lies have consequences. Start secretly removing his toys whenever he lies. When he asks about the missing items, lie to him and tell him you know nothing about it....but in a way that he knows you are lying. i.e, give him a taste of his own medicine. (Yes, I can be an extremely manipulative person..hehe)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

Oh dear, been there op!
    Have you tried explaining that no matter what he's done he will always get into more trouble for lying than the thing itself? It took some tounge biting on our part when we had promised that we would never get too cross so long as he told the truth. It did work in the end but you do have to be consistant.

Now we have the opposite problem, in that he tells us EVERYTHING :D
    best of luck OP

Advertisement