Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia to drop the Ovi brand

Options
  • 16-05-2011 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭stepster

I never liked the "Ovi" brand name at all. I think they were right to drop it. It will be interesting to see if they made the right decision going with Windows 7 rather than Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

I do like the OVI brand, however, since Microsoft can now licence Nokia software to other WP7 manufacturers, it makes sense for nokia to plaster their name all over it.

Then, when you use a Samsung phone, all the good software will be Nokia. You'll then forget about whoever make the handset and move back to Nokia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i never saw a good thing done with the ovi brand. i found that everything ovi branded came out bloated, slow and prone to crashing. that was my experience with the nokia n95 8gig as they changed everything from nokia to ovi.

i'm not sad to see it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

It was absolutely useless. If the Ovi Store was a real physical place, it'd be one of those weirdo shops where you have to walk upstairs to get into, plus it'd smell a bit weird and there'd be all kinds of junk on the shelves you've never heard of (or want)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I do like the OVI brand, however, since Microsoft can now licence Nokia software to other WP7 manufacturers, it makes sense for nokia to plaster their name all over it.

Then, when you use a Samsung phone, all the good software will be Nokia. You'll then forget about whoever make the handset and move back to Nokia.

Lol that will never happen :) On Nokia phones they can do whatever they want but it will never happen on other OEM's phones. Ovi Maps are being merged into bing, Bing maps UI will be kept and core mapping will remain from Ovi Maps or Navteq.

I though Ovi was an OK name. Not something tbh some one could boast about it. It never had a wow factor anyway so not much of a loss now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

Well, thats the idea anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

they can call it "winokiapps" for all i care any more! their pc suite used to be a nice small unobtrusive program that sat in the system tray and you could call up a discreet menu for whatever you needed; now, its a bloody humongous screen filler two thirds of which is taken up with advertising their crappy apps! ok so im not much of a fan of apps anyway, i buy my phones based on the hardware, functionality, ease of use, and then what software is installed after that. i dont want to have to go buying more apps on top of already after shelling out €300 for a phone!

but back to the ovi name change- nokia services, how many of us have ever uploaded our photos to ovi share? the ovi maps i discovered were a disaster when i couldn't even find a housing estate in nenagh that's been there for over 30 years at least (thank christ for google maps!) and even though im not on facebook myself, they pulled that app from the ove store aswel! their battery monitor app is probably the worst i've ever seen, fluctuates constantly, never giving an accurate reading, have to rely on iON battery monitor!

and please, for the life of me, could somebody tell me how to hide notifications in ovi for updates i dont want?? i dont want the bloody "gig finder", thats why i uninstalled it from my phone in the first place!!! :mad:

change of name, same old crap!

ironically enough i was looking at a WP7 as my next phone, if they could make it a bit smaller, i dont need that size of a screen, but i am interested in the rumored device integration thats coming down the line, might we finally be able to watch live tv on our phones from our home pc's like a media center extender? hell even an app to control our media center over wi-fi or bluetooth with an on-screen media center interface on our phones would be nice! :D

feck me that was a rant and a half! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

The whole "Ovi" thing was a mistake, IMO, and the execution was all over the place.

"Nokia" is at Number 8 in Interbrand's most recent Top100 Brands survey, and are the number one most-trusted brand of any kind in India, a huge growth market for smartphones. Only Google are higher (#4), but this is for all of Google's offerings, not mobile phones. (Apple are 17th in the same list)

I think it was madness to not make use of such a high profile brand. Ovi Maps is an excellent product, but nobody remembers the name. Calling it "Nokia Maps" makes it a lot more memorable.

Good news, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Q&A

I'm "Ovi" it!

xsiborg wrote: »
    they can call it "winokiapps" for all i care any more! their pc suite used to be a nice small unobtrusive program that sat in the system tray and you could call up a discreet menu for whatever you needed; now, its a bloody humongous screen filler two thirds of which is taken up with advertising their crappy apps! ok so im not much of a fan of apps anyway, i buy my phones based on the hardware, functionality, ease of use, and then what software is installed after that. i dont want to have to go buying more apps on top of already after shelling out €300 for a phone!

but back to the ovi name change- nokia services, how many of us have ever uploaded our photos to ovi share? the ovi maps i discovered were a disaster when i couldn't even find a housing estate in nenagh that's been there for over 30 years at least (thank christ for google maps!) and even though im not on facebook myself, they pulled that app from the ove store aswel! their battery monitor app is probably the worst i've ever seen, fluctuates constantly, never giving an accurate reading, have to rely on iON battery monitor!

and please, for the life of me, could somebody tell me how to hide notifications in ovi for updates i dont want?? i dont want the bloody "gig finder", thats why i uninstalled it from my phone in the first place!!! :mad:

change of name, same old crap!

ironically enough i was looking at a WP7 as my next phone, if they could make it a bit smaller, i dont need that size of a screen, but i am interested in the rumored device integration thats coming down the line, might we finally be able to watch live tv on our phones from our home pc's like a media center extender? hell even an app to control our media center over wi-fi or bluetooth with an on-screen media center interface on our phones would be nice! :D

feck me that was a rant and a half! :o

Not all apps are paid. Alot of the most popular ones are free.

And you can already do that on windows phone :) there's an app for that :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The reason they're dropping it is that Ovi is unpronounceable / very difficult to pronounce in quite a few European languages.

It was a very poor choice of trademark for a global brand and was picked because it means door/entrance (or exit) in Finnish

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I thought it was something to do with Egg!
    Useless name TBH.

Lol how is it hard to pronounce? Never heard people having difficulty pronouncing the three letter word lol

Ovi

Lol how is it hard to pronounce? Never heard people having difficulty pronouncing the three letter word lol

Ovi

Well, for example "v" in Spanish is pronounced as B. In other languages V is just not liked at all.

Quite a few languages dislike words ending in "I" and find them difficult to say.

In general it was a very poor choice of brand for Nokia.

Even in English we pronounce it differently to the way Nokia insist on saying it. They say "Oh! Vee" we would tend to call it "of" "eee"

Although it's not as bad as the Mitusbishi Pajero! In Spanish, Pajero is what you call a man who REALLY loves himself in a physical way... regularly ...(rhymes with banker)

Lol well the problems is that you shouldn't try to spell it in your language. You should try to pronounce it as it was intended by the origin.

Peugeot is the best example as its mispelled by 99% of people here. My lecturers go mad if we use the slang for Peugeot and not pronounce it as it was intended by the French.

Lol well the problems is that you shouldn't try to spell it in your language. You should try to pronounce it as it was intended by the origin.

Peugeot is the best example as its mispelled by 99% of people here. My lecturers go mad if we use the slang for Peugeot and not pronounce it as it was intended by the French.

Most Europeans, particularly the Spanish and Germans don't bother doing things like that. They just pronounce as they read.

Hence Renault gets all its silent letters pronounced in Spain.
    and ballet has no silent T in Spanish or German.

Lazy :)

I get the point :) but it ain't that hard. Either way this is off topic :) ain't a literature forum here hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Does it matter. Its a dire brand. It a lesson in how not to do something.

The only good part is the Ovi maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Yes agree, never liked the ovi name and the maps were the best part of it i think.
    happy they are dropping it.

But in fairness, it's actually hard for an English speaker to get that one right (I tried to transcribe it as English, but it just won't fit). If you're speaking French, though, you shouldn't be using the English pronunciation for French names, alright.

But where do you stop? "Ow-dy" is being pushed hard by their ad agency, but what about "Bay-em-vay", "Boo-gatti", "Sit-ro-en", "Folksvagen" (or "fau-vey" for short), "Hyun-dy" or "Fol-VO".

We seem to make a better fist of the Italian names, with the exception of Lancia ("Lan-sha"), but "FIAT", "Alfa Romeo", "Ferrari" and "Maserati" are all pretty much how Italians say them too.

What bugs me, though is overcorrection. For once and for all people, Barcelona is pronounced "BarSAlona", just as if it were an English word.

• Advertisement

Ah well i actually hate how some Americans pronounce Nokia

Its weird like NOK-EA

Tbh i gave up a long time ago on corrections and what the hell. Nobody could give a whistle. Cause no one wants the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ovi was a big pile of sh*te software and service wise. It was kinda like what you'd expect if a business man who never used the internet got to dictate how his website should work to the dev team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Bambi wrote: »
    Ovi was a big pile of sh*te software and service wise. It was kinda like what you'd expect if a business man who never used the internet got to dictate how his website should work to the dev team.

++1 and then hired a dev team with a pathological hatred of users and standards, to develop the site.

TBH most of their phone software is the same. People get used to it, but its all over the place in consistency.

++1 and then hired a dev team with a pathological hatred of users and standards, to develop the site.

Not quite. They more likely hired a dev team who were all waffle and no ability. Nokia are famous for being the sugardaddy to all those Web2.0 twerps in Hoxton who are too busy "exploring the zeitgeist" or hunting down a vintage pacman machines to put in the on-site organic ristretto bar to do any actual work.

Advertisement