Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Newspapers

• 16-05-2011 3:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

I'm doing a bit of advertising for my company for our Waterford City Shop. Not being a native, i'm not sure which newspaper to be looking at.

We have advertised in Waterford Today, but we were expecting a better response.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

bigneacy wrote: »
    Hi There,

I'm doing a bit of advertising for my company for our Waterford City Shop. Not being a native, i'm not sure which newspaper to be looking at.

Any suggestions?

Waterford City has 3 local papers. This high number is reflective of our high education, literacy, being generally good looking, and modesty.

The papers are:

Waterford Today
    Waterford News and Star
    The Munster Express

They are roughly equal in their popularity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

If you weren't happy with the response from the Waterford Today I'm afraid you won't do any better with the other papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

You could also try advertising in My Waterford Magazine, similar to the Waterford Today in that it's delivered free to all the homes in the city.

I've never seen that magazine in my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

That's a magazine!?

I always thought it was some sort of multi-page collection of ads for around the town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭suirfire

Hiya I have recently taken out a ad campaign in the News and Star and getting a much better response than a campaign I ran before Christmas in the Waterford Today TBH i would not advertise in the Muster if i got it for free ( dont know about anyone else but the Muster Express gone down hill lately in my books)

If you are interested in a Ad in the News and Star pm me and ill pass on the contact details of the person that is looking after my ad :)

suirfire wrote: »
    Hiya I have recently taken out a ad campaign in the News and Star and getting a much better response than a campaign I ran before Christmas in the Waterford Today TBH i would not advertise in the Muster if i got it for free ( dont know about anyone else but the Muster Express gone down hill lately in my books)

If you are interested in a Ad in the News and Star pm me and ill pass on the contact details of the person that is looking after my ad :)

We've found our News & Star Spy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

suirfire wrote: »

I suppose a Waterford Today ad would get 'lost' amongst all the other ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

bigneacy wrote: »
    Hi There,

Any suggestions?

Out of pure curiosity, what were you advertising?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

We also ran an ad campaign with Wat Today costing over 700.. and not much response.

We ran a small ad in Munter and News & Star which got way more response, but the target market was more older clients, so its obvious the Munster/News and Star were better suited..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Out of pure curiosity, what were you advertising?

A gold shop in a waterford shopping centre... which i gather is in the city centre? :confused: (don't know waterford at all...)

I think i'll give News & Star a try, Our target market is also mainly people in their middle ages and up so if thats what got a good response for savic04 then i'll give it a go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

If you weren't happy with the response from the Waterford Today I'm afraid you won't do any better with the other papers.

Concur, when I was in sales n distro, the WT was the better performer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

gbee wrote: »
    Concur, when I was in sales n distro, the WT was the better performer.

I'm still unconvinced about the free-sheets tho... I mean - we were using a free-paper in north county dublin with their own "circulation figures" of 40,000 copies through the door and in various pick up points. No response.

We then tried a paid for paper with ABC figures of 3096 and we got so many more people through the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

When I ran a freesheet we only did pick ups and 10,000 copies. We resisted DtD as it never generated interest and our own research said 90% went straight to the fire or recycling.

We had the backing of a large retailer who had been doing 6,000 door to door locally and was amazed that we generated more interest and responce than his DtD teams.

At the time we were competing with a 125,000 weekly circulation of a strong daily. And we were generating more activity. So it does take a unified team to pull together from sales, stories, features, printing, distribution and customer anticipation.

We never considered ourselves as a freesheet, rather a paper you had to buy, like pick it up, but we were not charging for it. At the tome the WT was the same, today not so seemingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 HavingALook

I recently ran a campaign of adverts in Munster Express and got a great response, far better than the other papers which I've also used.
    I'm from Waterford and most people buy the Munster Express as its well know. I kind of agree with you about the free sheets, you just never know if people are reading it or using it to wrap up food waste for the brown bin, as my aunt does each week.
    Hope this helps:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Going off Topic, I take it that the News and Star will be correcting itself with the mistake they made in this weeks paper, the bit of it i have seen so far.

There is no doubt that the paper does its sport well, but in recent times i would question some of what it calls news. At times what appears to be what you would see in a womens magazine.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Going off Topic, I take it that the News and Star will be correcting itself with the mistake they made in this weeks paper, the bit of it i have seen so far.

There is no doubt that the paper does its sport well, but in recent times i would question some of what it calls news. At times what appears to be what you would see in a womens magazine.

What mistake?

Sully wrote: »
    What mistake?

Someone did not know exactly what they were doing when the paper went to print. There is a photo in the paper concerning one story, and the person in it had absolutly nothing to do with what was been reported.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Someone did not know exactly what they were doing when the paper went to print. There is a photo in the paper concerning one story, and the person in it had absolutly nothing to do with what was been reported.

The priest I assume?

That's not the first mistake that paper had made and it won't be the last. The editor is way too young.

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    The priest I assume?

Yes, Such mistakes are utter carelessness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Vanman1

That's not the first mistake that paper had made and it won't be the last. The editor is way too young.

Agree 100% with you re editor. Have heard her on 'Noctor til 6' & 'Saturday Show' on WLRfm she comes across as a giggly schoolgirl!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Have to say both news and star and munster express are brutal for their local gaa coverage. They should look at the Kilkenny People to see how it should be done.

Advertisement