Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport in Danger of Closing!?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Just returned from a trip from WAT to Southend on Sea, with family in tow. Bought tickets on one of their promotions, so got 5x returns for €430-ish (IIRC).

35 minute trip from home to airport and back (a Godsend early morning or late at night) and a nice calm airport building at either end.

Alternatives we considered were Dublin and Cork to Gatwick but the cost was nearly as much and the hassle was much greater.

Hope they continue this route for a long time - was a pleasure to use it. Would be concerned though that if Galway does close the loss of business to WAT would compromise its viability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Very positive news. We really need to kick on from here and grow the airport quickly. Surely the capital project of runway extension can be done cheaper now than any time in the past 10 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Trotter wrote: »
    Very positive news. We really need to kick on from here and grow the airport quickly. Surely the capital project of runway extension can be done cheaper now than any time in the past 10 years?

Yes, and competent governments save money in the good times, so that when the bad times come, they can do this sort of thing. But not our crowd. Sure didn't Charlie McCreevy say "when I have it, I'll spend it"?

And now we don't, so there's no money in the pot. The only thing I can think of is going to local businesses to raise the capital.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Hope they continue this route for a long time - was a pleasure to use it. Would be concerned though that if Galway does close the loss of business to WAT would compromise its viability.

Yes, I wonder about this. If GWY-DUB is no longer going to receive PSO subvention and Galway airport is no longer going to get OPEX grants, then what does the future hold for Aer Arann? Maybe they can survive and keep their services from Waterford going, but at the very least it has to affect those services that go from London to Waterford and then on to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭decies

Why don't they open up some public share option or something for Waterford airport . It's a great facility for the south east and would love to see it grow, with local investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

Is it any wonder that Galway Airport is in trouble.

On the Pat Kenny radio show today Joe Walsh, their manager, compared their case to Waterford Airport who continue with their Government funding. He said that Galway's case is identical to Waterford.

He has conveniently forgotten that their are five airports on the west coast without a population to support them all. Galway is a one hour drive from Shannon and Knock according to the Minister. Waterford is the only airport in the south east and is the base for the helicopter rescue service. It is over two hours drive from both Cork and Dublin airports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭havetoquit

Does anyone know please if Waterford airport is stil operating to London? I am having problems with accessing the website.Many thanks if you can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Silverado wrote: »
    Is it any wonder that Galway Airport is in trouble.

On the Pat Kenny radio show today Joe Walsh, their manager, compared their case to Waterford Airport who continue with their Government funding. He said that Galway's case is identical to Waterford.

He has conveniently forgotten that their are five airports on the west coast without a population to support them all. Galway is a one hour drive from Shannon and Knock according to the Minister. Waterford is the only airport in the south east and is the base for the helicopter rescue service. It is over two hours drive from both Cork and Dublin airports.

Totally agree. The east coast will now only have one major airport (Dublin) serving us while there are airports in practically every county or within an hour of them on the west/south west.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

havetoquit wrote: »
    Does anyone know please if Waterford airport is stil operating to London? I am having problems with accessing the website.Many thanks if you can help.

No it is not operating at the moment, no carrier has stepped up to take it over yet.

Thank you so much, but I am confused, as when I eventually did manage to access the site, they state that they fly to Luton and Southend and to a large number of European destinations via Birmingham. If they are not operating, surely they could at least leave this info on their site, rather than confusing people.

It is such a disgrace that we have this large area of the South East which is being neglected in this way, particularly as we are supposedly encouraging tourism and on the other side of the coin, we now have a large number of people who have been forced to leave this region for work purposes. What a strain it is for them to have to travel to Dublin and then often have a 2- even 3 hr coach or car journey home. Imagine how difficult if not impossible this is for elderly folk especially, who travel to visit family abroad.

Then we have people arriving in Rosslare harbour with no train and a bus service that is seemingly so time restricted that if you arrive late, you have had it. The times I have seen elderly Welsh and English people arrive on their way to Wexford, Waterford etc only to find there is no transport outside of an expensive taxi fare! What a way to treat those who are contributing to our economy by holidaying here and our own who use the rail and sail, as it is affordable, if long and tiring.

Does anyone know what the situation with the airport is presently?

Thank you so much, but I am confused, as when I eventually did manage to access the site, they state that they fly to Luton and Southend and to a large number of European destinations via Birmingham. If they are not operating, surely they could at least leave this info on their site, rather than confusing people.

It is such a disgrace that we have this large area of the South East which is being neglected in this way, particularly as we are supposedly encouraging tourism and on the other side of the coin, we now have a large number of people who have been forced to leave this region for work purposes. What a strain it is for them to have to travel to Dublin and then often have a 2- even 3 hr coach or car journey home. Imagine how difficult if not impossible this is for elderly folk especially, who travel to visit family abroad.

Then we have people arriving in Rosslare harbour with no train and a bus service that is seemingly so time restricted that if you arrive late, you have had it. The times I have seen elderly Welsh and English people arrive on their way to Wexford, Waterford etc only to find there is no transport outside of an expensive taxi fare! What a way to treat those who are contributing to our economy by holidaying here and our own who use the rail and sail, as it is affordable, if long and tiring.

I have not noticed it on the main pages of the website but they do have them listed in the "Destinations" section, they probably have not gotten a chance to remove it.

Some people are now travelling to Birmingham with Flybe, and then getting the train to London. The train takes 1 hour 15 minutes, but it is kind of expensive. Also people have been using Birmingham to their onward destinations too, which seem's to be quite handy for some people.

I do believe Manchester may be back soon with Flybe, and more onward destinations may be available from there. No word yet on a London route, but i would imagine it is the airports main priority at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Waterford Airport is only flying to Birmingham, their website appears to be very much out of date. The London service was withdrawn and nobody has replaced it yet. It doesn't seem to be neglect - if it was viable I assume a company would immediately start flying from there but it seems there is hesitations for whatever reason to fly from here again.

Sully wrote: »

Waterford Airport is only flying to Birmingham, their website appears to be very much out of date. The London service was withdrawn and nobody has replaced it yet. It doesn't seem to be neglect - if it was viable I assume a company would immediately start flying from there but it seems there is hesitations for whatever reason to fly from here again.

It is viable, the only reason I would guess the delay is from would be that there is a lack of suitable aircraft. It needs a ATR 72/dash8 type to be the most successful, and there is not many of those around. Although I do believe that if cityjet took a shot at it with their 146/Avro85 type, I would think it would be ok.

To achieve a max load or profit the airline would have to base the aircraft there, no one will fly the plane in empty at 7 am for a 7.30 departure. The same for the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Neworder79

While a double daily prop would be ideal, a 1x daily jet service would be better than nothing though.

Many thanks to those who kindly responded and I now understand the situation better.

It is a sad situation and makes one wonder what comes next to make our lives that little bit less comfortable. Makes one feel like leaving and going somewhere that has a decent transport system. I know we are a small island with a low population, but then one has to question why the west coast has more airports than it needs and leaves the South East with a substandard coach service and no rail service from our port. That should really encourage people to come to this area from UK, including the many Europeans who tour South West Britain and then want to fly here for a week or two.

Ah well, seems like we got our priorities really mixed up when we were doing well; over building of houses and hotels, self serving ministers using helicopters to fly around this small island, being given salaries that even some of our richer European countries and neglecting to upgrade our hospitals, schools etc etc.

Ah well, I've had my vent and am glad that I can still withstand the three hour coach journey to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭lotusm

Many thanks to those who kindly responded and I now understand the situation better.

It is a sad situation and makes one wonder what comes next to make our lives that little bit less comfortable. Makes one feel like leaving and going somewhere that has a decent transport system. I know we are a small island with a low population, but then one has to question why the west coast has more airports than it needs and leaves the South East with a substandard coach service and no rail service from our port. That should really encourage people to come to this area from UK, including the many Europeans who tour South West Britain and then want to fly here for a week or two.

Ah well, seems like we got our priorities really mixed up when we were doing well; over building of houses and hotels, self serving ministers using helicopters to fly around this small island, being given salaries that even some of our richer European countries and neglecting to upgrade our hospitals, schools etc etc.

Ah well, I've had my vent and am glad that I can still withstand the three hour coach journey to Dublin.

Only 80,000 passengers used Waterford Airport in 2011, I dont know what the figures are for 2012. Airlines I presume will only go where they can make a profit, so the demand must have not be there. I would say the new Motorway to Dublin airport (19.1 million passengers numbers0 has been a big influence and also the proxmity of Cork airport(2.4 million pagssengers) have diverted them to where there are more destinations and frequency of flights. Galway and Sligo Airports dont do commercial flights anymore and I this might now happen to Waterford.

lotusm wrote: »
    Only 80,000 passengers used Waterford Airport in 2011, I dont know what the figures are for 2012. Airlines I presume will only go where they can make a profit, so the demand must have not be there. I would say the new Motorway to Dublin airport (19.1 million passengers numbers0 has been a big influence and also the proxmity of Cork airport(2.4 million pagssengers) have diverted them to where there are more destinations and frequency of flights. Galway and Sligo Airports dont do commercial flights anymore and I this might now happen to Waterford.

I suppose,but I would have thought too given it's location it may have been able to capitalise on some demand from the greater Dublin region (where the people live) as an alternative to busy Dublin. The short runway is likely a major impediment to new business.
    The 80,000 figure sounds very low and probably not viable.

Only 80,000 used WAT in 2011 due to a number of things.

- Aer Arann moving their supposedly best route from Luton to Southend, the new terminal wasn't open and either was the train station.

- Aer Arann's decision to change all routes from a atr72 (70 seats roughly), to a atr42 (48 seats), and remove one of the 2 72's also. Flights went from 3 full 72's to Luton (Galway flight to Luton used to stop at WAT), with about roughly 10,000 passengers during summer months to 1 full 42 and nearly 2 empty 42's a month to Southend( I think figure was nearly 20, at the most per flight).

-- Aer Arann's decision to move to the 42 meant increased prices for flights to all destinations from WAT to generate around the same profit needed from the 72.

- Closure of Galway near the end of. 2011 meant extra flights lost, and extra transitioning passengers.

And..
    - Temporary closure of the Birmingham route near the end of the year.

----
    ----

The number of passengers will be lower in 2012, down to about 60k I would guess. Arann not operating the once weekly Lorient service will also help reduce numbers.

----
    ----

The airport will do extremely well if the likes of Flybe, when restructured will be able to base a dash8. Luton, Manchester, Birmigham and Edinburgh(if added)! would generate sufficient passenger numbers and profit for everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭lotusm

b757 wrote: »
    Only 80,000 used WAT in 2011 due to a number of things.

- Aer Arann moving their supposedly best route from Luton to Southend, the new terminal wasn't open and either was the train station.

- Aer Arann's decision to change all routes from a atr72 (70 seats roughly), to a atr42 (48 seats), and remove one of the 2 72's also. Flights went from 3 full 72's to Luton (Galway flight to Luton used to stop at WAT), with about roughly 10,000 passengers during summer months to 1 full 42 and nearly 2 empty 42's a month to Southend( I think figure was nearly 20, at the most per flight).

-- Aer Arann's decision to move to the 42 meant increased prices for flights to all destinations from WAT to generate around the same profit needed from the 72.

- Closure of Galway near the end of. 2011 meant extra flights lost, and extra transitioning passengers.

And..
    - Temporary closure of the Birmingham route near the end of the year.

----
    ----

The number of passengers will be lower in 2012, down to about 60k I would guess. Arann not operating the once weekly Lorient service will also help reduce numbers.

----
    ----

The airport will do extremely well if the likes of Flybe, when restructured will be able to base a dash8. Luton, Manchester, Birmigham and Edinburgh(if added)! would generate sufficient passenger numbers and profit for everyone involved.

Dont think there is the political will to keep it open... govt support is also ending in 2014 for regional airports I think. Unless private investment comes in, it will struggle to survive for much longer

Dont think there is the political will to keep it open... govt support is also ending in 2014 for regional airports I think. Unless private investment comes in, it will struggle to survive for much longer

I don't think theres the political will to keep Waterford as a whole open to be honest.

Thankfully this should come down to whether it makes a profit, and we know if its properly done that it does make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Did I read it wrong but wasn't today the first Flybe flight from Waterford?
    If it was there is little to show for it, where is the headlines?
    I haven't asked what is the largest plane that can land at WAT but surely we could encourage freight companies, instead of the overnight ferries to bring goods in for the South East, surely it would make commercial sense, the airport seems to have room to expand.
    If Phil Hogan can waste 15 million on Kilkenny which really does not need it compared to Waterford, something is wrong.
    Waterford is a brilliant airport, needs money spent, isn't it about time we got out car stickers and pestering the politicians "We want to fly Waterford".
    Come on everyone in the South East give it your best shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Username99

I don't think car stickers are going to do anything, it's all politics, better off getting car stickers to encourage everyone to vote local politicians into positions of power, as that is the only way things in this corrupt sh1th*le of a country get done

I haven't asked what is the largest plane that can land at WAT but surely we could encourage freight companies, instead of the overnight ferries to bring goods in for the South East, surely it would make commercial sense, the airport seems to have room to expand.
    If Phil Hogan can waste 15 million on Kilkenny which really does not need it compared to Waterford, something is wrong.
    Waterford is a brilliant airport, needs money spent, isn't it about time we got out car stickers and pestering the politicians "We want to fly Waterford".

Care to explain this? Where is this "Phil Hogan waste"? Sounds sh!tstirring to me...

The problem is nobody (as such) wants to "Fly Waterford". The passenger figures have been falling substantially and you can't force private companies to use it.

As there are so many conflicting opinions, would it not be a good idea to begin a poll, or for those us who feel that passionately that an airport is needed in Waterford, perhaps we could contact South East Radio in an effort to highlight the subject and take it from there. I guess I am being way too optimistic here.

It is sad that the airport was not being used as much as it would need to be to be viable, but I feel that this is due more to the down turn, long distance emigration and yes, sometimes cost of flights in these financially challenging times.

However, were a low cost airline such as Easyjet to use Waterford, would that not be a way of increasing use of the airport from UK tourists as well as the substantial number of people in the South East who would welcome the convenience and reasonably priced flights.

I know little or nothing regarding the logistics of such matters unfortunately, so my suggestion may make little if any sense, but hey, no harm in showing willing eh.

Cargo would never be feasible at WAT, i wouldn't count on anything like this happening. Largest would be a Bae 146 type, or Embraer 170 at a push.
    As there are so many conflicting opinions, would it not be a good idea to begin a poll, or for those us who feel that passionately that an airport is needed in Waterford, perhaps we could contact South East Radio in an effort to highlight the subject and take it from there. I guess I am being way too optimistic here.

However, were a low cost airline such as Easyjet to use Waterford, would that not be a way of increasing use of the airport from UK tourists as well as the substantial number of people in the South East who would welcome the convenience and reasonably priced flights.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056803795

Feel free to vote. Easyjet would need a runway extension by about 300m, plus widening of a minimum of atleast 7 meters. ( Although, Ryanair do operate from some airports with runways 30m wide.)

I'd say something could happen soon, but not operating for a good few weeks. Don't quote me on it though ! ;)

There appears to be a genuine desire to see the airport succeed, and any discussion is good, you do not have to agree with some of the post's but at least the subject is in full view.
    I think the airport is of strategic importance, not only to Waterford but the whole of the South East, it is a gateway into Ireland and to Europe, it could be a money making project, increasing tourism, trade etc.
    However as one pointed out the runway is not capable of taking large liners, surely an extension would solve some of the problems.
    A low cost airport surely would appeal to holiday charter's?
    TGhe poster who was of the opinion I was stirring regarding Phol Hogan, well if you look at Kilkenny High Street do you honestly believe it needs upgrading, the money spend on Waterford would come back and benefit the region, for god sake forget them and us politics, let's get down to basics and tell the politicians do your job for the people.
    Foxy

How much would the runway extension cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I think an extension to allow Jets is critical, we had to make it worth while for people to use WRH airport as compared to other airports e.g. drop parking charges.

We should look to Knock airport as model

http://www.irelandwestairport.com/flightinformation/route_map.aspx

Isn't that brilliant, some positive comments, one does not have to be an expert to make suggestions, all one needs is the will to succeed.
    Yes how much for an extension to the runway, there would also be some cost for navigational equipment, customs and garda presence.
    Upgrading could be one of the most exciting developments for Waterford.
    Transport links, the logisitics maybe daunting, but isn't it time to start running Ireland Ltd as a company and not a toy of so called politicians, yopu cannot live in the past for ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Flybe was flying from Waterford last year, but stopped for the middle of the winter - last Sunday was the first Flybe flight after the winter, very much reduced service though.

• Advertisement

Thank you for the info, although I hate saying this we live across the border and it would appear Waterford is a bit short on advertising it could be the salvation of the south east and that one can actually get to far away places without dragging all the way to Dublin or Cork.
    I know trader's in Waterford really would not apprerciate shoppers being whisked away to the UK or perhaps Belfast for a day's shopping, but provided there was an early morning flight out and and evening one back what a potential sitting there, no frills cheap flights might work for the airport.
    Lakeside and Bluewater are not that distance from Stansted, a shoppers paradise, how about Sunday lunch in Edinburgh, or Ingatestone market just near the airport, a revalation.
    Come on Fly Waterford.

Advertisement