Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is all abuse the same?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Kiera wrote: »
    Ah if i knew it was you who carded him i would have kept my mouth shut :P

/joking

Darragh, how about the celeb forum? There's a thread in there about the ruddest celeb you've ever met. Can i name someone and call them a prick? If i think they're a prick then why cant i say so?

Kiera

If you're prepared to put a post up calling someone a prick, a wanker or whatever, along with your name, email address and home address, then do so. If you're not (or wouldn't be) prepared to do that, then don't put the post on Boards.ie. It's really as simple as that.

If someone takes court action, it won't be Boards.ie that they'll be suing, but the person who put up the post.

Does that help?

Darragh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

g'em wrote: »
    The whole celeb abuse issue is something that we're trying to hash out behind the scenes at the moment and we're trying really hard to be fair to everyone. Given that the AH forum is so high volume it's essentially being used as a "Test" forum before rolling out the policy across the site.

But no, celebs can't be called **** or asshóles or sluts or geebags or whores or any other kind of abusive term.

Having said that... it's an ideal rule and yes posts will slip through the cracks.

That's fair enough, g'em. Would it not be better to roll it out in a less jokey forum tho? Bringing in a rule like this would sterilise somewhere like AH, dont you think? If i thought someone was a wanker, asshole i'd have to use a term like nincompoop?

Darragh wrote: »
    Kiera

If you're prepared to put a post up calling someone a prick, a wanker or whatever, along with your name, email address and home address, then do so. If you're not (or wouldn't be) prepared to do that, then don't put the post on Boards.ie. It's really as simple as that.

If someone takes court action, it won't be Boards.ie that they'll be suing, but the person who put up the post.
    Does that help?

Darragh

Wut? Then pass on their IP address and other details?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

That's fair enough, g'em. Would it not be better to roll it out in a less jokey forum tho? Bringing in a rule like this would sterilise somewhere like AH, dont you think? If i thought someone was a wanker, asshole i'd have to use a term like nincompoop?

I can see what you mean but I honestly don't think so. If anything I think it makes for a better forum. Say for example a thread starts about Celebrity X:
    Did you see that story about Ms. X in the Daily Fail <insert link>?
    OMFG what a slutwhore :mad:
    I'd ride ten shades out of shít outta that piece of ass, all she's good for, stupid bitch

etc...

OR
    Did you see that story about Ms. X in the Daily Fail <insert link>?
    I don't really understand why people do that, I mean it's just so stupid

General discussion about celebrity motives ensues that's relatively civil.

I know the first looks quite OTT but it happens amazingly frequently. The problem is that once celeb abuse starts it's hard to put the lid on it, people keep pushing it further and further and it gets really hard to draw the line.

Just because it's AH it doesn't mean that it ok to have a cesspool of vitriolic nastiness in there - the Mods in there have worked really hard to make it what it is, and while it might not be to everyone's taste there's some fantastic discussion in there on a range of topics. There's still lots and lots of joking too :) I don't think banning abuse on celebrities would sterilise that at all, but it would possibly make for a more well-rounded forum where more people are likely to post?

g'em wrote: »
    I can see what you mean but I honestly don't think so. If anything I think it makes for a better forum. Say for example a thread starts about celebrity X

etc...

OR

General discussion abotu celebrity motives ensues that's relatively civil.

I know the first looks quite OTT but it happens amazingly frequently. The problem is that once celeb abuse starts it's hard to put the lid on it, people keep pushing it further and further and it gets really hard to draw the line.

Just because it's Ah it doesn't mean that it ok to have a cesspool of vitriolic nastiness in there - the Mods in there have worked really hard to make it what it is, and while it might not be to everyone's taste there's some fantastic discussion in there on a range of topics. There's still lots and lots of joking too :) I don't think banning abuse on celebrities would sterlisise that at all, but it would possibly make for a more well-rounded forum where more people are likely to post?

I actually got a giggle out of the first conversation tho (loving slutwhore :)) and yes i know its abusive but i probably would have thanked that post cause it made me laugh. I like AH cause of the funny replies and banter. The second conversation just seems dull and boring and if i wanted that, i could use one of the other forums.

I do get that some will try push the limits with regards to abuse but i dont think cutting it out totally in AH is the way to go. The way Micky modded that thread was fine but Darragh is saying that there is a blanket ban on all celeb abuse which i get if its harsh abuse but calling a dude a wanker is kinda stating the truth unless they dont have hands? I mean, where do you draw the line? Can you call someone a tool, knob or spanner. Or are they too harsh too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Darragh is saying that there is a blanket ban on all celeb abuse which i get if its harsh abuse but calling a dude a wanker is kinda stating the truth unless they dont have hands? I mean, where do you draw the line? Can you call someone a tool, knob or spanner. Or are they too harsh too?

What Darragh is saying is this

It's up to the moderators of the forum to judge whether a post is abusive or not. They'll take into account the context, tone, previous posts of the poster and culture of the forum in making that assessment.

It's not that there's a blanket ban on "celeb" abuse, it's that there's a ban on all abuse.

If you see an abusive post, report it for moderator attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭mstan

I actually got a giggle out of the first conversation tho (loving slutwhore :)) and yes i know its abusive but i probably would have thanked that post cause it made me laugh. I like AH cause of the funny replies and banter. The second conversation just seems dull and boring and if i wanted that, i could use one of the other forums.

Kiera, can you answer me honestly; would you have found that comment as funny if it was about you? If someone posted your real name and details and then said you were a "slutwhore" would you find it funny?
    calling a dude a wanker is kinda stating the truth unless they dont have hands? I mean, where do you draw the line? Can you call someone a tool, knob or spanner. Or are they too harsh too?

Actually he called Bono a prick. I was the one who then called him (the poster) a wanker. And you were the very person who said on the previous page of this thread that I "got off lightly" for calling another Boardie a wanker. I just dont understand how people think its ok to abuse "celeb" (who might not be members of Boards and therefore cant even defend themselves) yet they think that being members of Boards they should be immune from any form of abuse.

mstan wrote: »
    Kiera, can you answer me honestly; would you have found that comment as funny if it was about you? If someone posted your real name and details and then said you were a "slutwhore" would you find it funny?

Have you been in the Dome? I've been called a lot worse, buddy :)

To be honest i'm very thick skinned and someone calling me a slutwhore wouldnt make me bat an eyelid. I find the word funny :)
    mstan wrote: »
    Actually he called Bono a prick. I was the one who then called him (the poster) a wanker. And you were the very person who said on the previous page of this thread that I "got off lightly" for calling another Boardie a wanker. I just dont understand how people think its ok to abuse "celeb" (who might not be members of Boards and therefore cant even defend themselves) yet they think that being members of Boards they should be immune from any form of abuse.

Did you report his post? No. So quit your little "there should be no celeb abuse" rant if you didnt do anything to help the mods!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

ahem

lets try to keep the discussion calm please. not saying anyones gone overboard, yet, but its looking likely that it could head that way.

Advertisement