Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weeds

Options
  • 16-05-2011 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I sowed grass seed about 5 or 6 weeks ago. There seems to be alot of weed mixed with the grass. Can sombody identify the weed from the attached pic?

And, whats the best solution to getting rid of the weed:confused:

Thanks
    Rich

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Hello all,

I sowed grass seed about 5 or 6 weeks ago. There seems to be alot of weed mixed with the grass. Can sombody identify the weed from the attached pic?

And, whats the best solution to getting rid of the weed:confused:

Thanks
    Rich

You seem to have a few Annuals, Chickweed, possible Meadow Herb and knotgrass? and most won't be an issue after your first lawn cuts which will get rid of these (Except the chick weed & Oxalis)

However you also have prickly thistle and Oxalis? a perennial weed it might be necessary to spray a selective broad weed killer next Autumn ( Not sure if you can spray on a newly sown lawn every chemical is different) you can also dig out the weed with its root and keep doing this as these weeds grow back from broken roots that reminded in the ground if you have a small area and the time :-)...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Thanks jezko,

I did spray gallup before rotavating the land. I guess some weed lasted. Sounds good to me. I was hoping someone wouldnt say I should spray weed killer and rotavate the land again. ill give it its first cut maybe 2 weeks from now and see how she looks. As for the thistle weed, there is only about 4 in the whole garden so ill just pull them up.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Is that Sorrel? If it is you can harvest it and eat it!
    Your first cut will probably get rid of the broad-leaf stuff (they dont like repeat decapitation).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Is that Sorrel? If it is you can harvest it and eat it!
    Your first cut will probably get rid of the broad-leaf stuff (they dont like repeat decapitation).

Just had a nibble. I didnt get a lemon taste. Just tasted like grass. Opps, the bowels a making a movement, im off to the toilet:o

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Well done, you have worked out the problem:D

Felt sure it was here somewhere!

• Advertisement
Advertisement