Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much can you earn and still be entitled to jsa?

Options
  • 16-05-2011 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hope someone can answer this for me!
    I earn approx €900pm net, and my partner earns approx €2100pm net.
    I have been on jb for a few years now but my credits are going to run out in a month or 2.
    Based on our collective income am I entitled to jsa?
    Also, do they take your expenses into account?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

What do you mean expenses? They will deduct business expenses if you are self-employed, but not your household expenses. They don't even deduct income tax or USC, although they do deduct PRSI, pension deductions and union dues.

Do you have any children? If not, then you'll be above the means test limit.

The way the calculation will work out for you is as follows:

Your income. If you are working over three days, the first 60 EUro will be disregarded, and 60% of the balance. 900pm is approx 207/week. For this income you have 88 Euro deducted from your payment.

Your partner's income is assessed in the same way. 60 disregarded and 60% of the balance. 2100pm works out at 484/week. Therefore you will lose 254 Euro from your claim as regards your parnter's income.

This gives a total of 342 that will be deducted from any claim that you have. If you have no children, your family rate is 312.80 so you can see that you would not receive anything.

If however you have two children, your family rate would be 372.40 and therfore you would get a Jobseekers payment of about 30 Euro. If you have children you may be better off applying for FIS, unlike Jobseekers, this is assessed on your income after tax is deducted, and depends on how many children you have.

But if you have no children, you will not be eligible for Jobseekers or FIS.

Advertisement