Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pull cord for shower, always on?

Options
  • 16-05-2011 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

I have a mira elite 2 shower but the pull cord broke last night. I bought a new pull cord today, but realised that the shower panelling is blocking the easy removal of the switch. The panelling is glued to the wall and from attempts to remove it from around the switch, it will break if i remove enough to get access.

Our plan is to tile the shower within the year, so would it be safe to leave the switch constantly on until i'll be removing the panelling anyway?
    Does it use much electricity leaving it constantly on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Senna wrote: »
    I have a mira elite 2 shower but the pull cord broke last night. I bought a new pull cord today, but realised that the shower panelling is blocking the easy removal of the switch. The panelling is glued to the wall and from attempts to remove it from around the switch, it will break if i remove enough to get access.

Our plan is to tile the shower within the year, so would it be safe to leave the switch constantly on until i'll be removing the panelling anyway?
    Does it use much electricity leaving it constantly on?

You can leave it on alright, it wont use any noticeable power as only the indicator neon is on on the pullchord and possibly the shower unit also, and they will use about 1 unit every few months (16 cent worth of electricity approx). There is probably no need to turn off the pullchord normally anyway, except when any work might have to be done on the shower unit.

I have removed sockets that were tiled into walls before by breaking them which is another option, making sure the power is off to the shower in your case of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

robbie7730 wrote: »
    You can leave it on alright, it wont use any noticeable power as only the indicator neon is on on the pullchord and possibly the shower unit also, and they will use about 1 unit every few months (16 cent worth of electricity approx). There is probably no need to turn off the pullchord normally anyway, except when any work might have to be done on the shower unit.

I have removed sockets that were tiled into walls before by breaking them which is another option, making sure the power is off to the shower in your case of course.

Thanks for that, i could break it, thats an idea i didn't think off, but i might just wait till we do the tilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I wouldn't operate a shower without an isolator switch. The isolator switch is there to deal with installation/repair work and emergencies. It will work fine without it, sure, but to be safe you really have to have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I dont see much protection a person using a shower will receive from an isolator. Isolators can be left on without too much problem, their function to allow local isolation for safe working on a shower, or cooker etc. Any problems on a shower should trip the MCB, or RCD, or the RCBO.

Having said that, i would not leave it with a non operational isolator for too long either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I pulled the cord this morning and the bottom part came off - I have managed to tie it back but I just know it will break again if i keep using it all the time. Is it ok to just leave it permanently on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Delta2113 wrote: »
    I pulled the cord this morning and the bottom part came off - I have managed to tie it back but I just know it will break again if i keep using it all the time. Is it ok to just leave it permanently on?
    See above posts. Yes. But in your case, it sounds like just the pull cord has snapped. You could isolate the power to the switch at the consumer unit, remove the 2 retaining screws on the pull cord switch, and replace it, in a few mins. Cords should be available an any decent electrical stockists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭Delta2113

So basically until the cord completely goes I can just leave it on all the time except say for a weekend away or a 2 week holiday I would turn it off then?

It turn's on ok but when I'm pulling it to knock it off there is alot of 'tension' for want of a better word in the cord.

Advertisement