Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching to rolled tobacco

• 16-05-2011 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭

I need to save cash, I'm smoking 20 Marlboro Lights a day at the moment.

I was planning to cut down and switch to rollies.

Is there much of a saving in doing this, and what brand who you recommend, something light and sweet would be ideal.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭animan

Well you'll smoke less anyway because a lot of the time you just couldn't be arsed rolling.

As for cost I'd go through a small pouch which is less than a fiver in 2-3 days not sure how many smokes that is a day.

If your looking for something sweet Amber Leaf maybe. Don't like it myself but sweetness isn't my thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Dave_Kilkenny

Many people say amber leaf has a chemically after taste, I find it sweet and get that aftertaste.
    Personally I choose to smoke golden virginia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 Circus_O

A 25g pack of Amber Leaf costs me about the same as a pack of marlboro lights and the pouch will last a week and a day or so whereas a pack of fags lasts about a day and a half so if you're smoking a pack a day you'll definetly save with rollies, beacuse:
    animan wrote: »
    you'll smoke less anyway because a lot of the time you just couldn't be arsed rolling.

but get yourself a little cigarette tin and roll a bunch before you go out to bring with you, nothing worse than trying to roll with a couple of pints on you

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

I made the switch, I'm smoke Amber Leaf( the closest to Marlboro lights) and instead of spending €50-60 a week, im spending €16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

cheers lads, I'll pick up a bag of amber leaf, I like the pre-made rollies idea too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭gstar

Ive been smokin rollies for a while now, cutters choice is the brand I go for. they are sweeter than amber leaf IMO - I found the latter to leave a bitter chemical taste in my mouth. Actually I find it hard to smoke much else other than Cutters Choice now, but the drum light blue is ok for when the shops are out of CC.

With rollies i smoke far less as I dont have the boredom smokes (waiting for luas/bus etc) and obviously the effort of rolling them cuts out any i might have had whilst walking to or from places! If i was still on marlboro lights i would be at about 15 a day (sometimes 20) but rollies I would have max 10 a day - same if im in the pub etc too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 LisaLowlife

Yeah I used to smoke Benson and at the end of the month (just before I got my monthly pay) I would buy tobacco cos It's far cheaper and it lasts me longer. I used to smoke them with roaches in the end of them but now I get the slim filter tips. They last me 3 days so per week I spend about a tenner on smokes when I used to spend 50 squids or so.

Makes a big difference to the bank balance :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Yeah I used to smoke Benson and at the end of the month (just before I got my monthly pay) I would buy tobacco cos It's far cheaper and it lasts me longer. I used to smoke them with roaches in the end of them but now I get the slim filter tips. They last me 3 days so per week I spend about a tenner on smokes when I used to spend 50 squids or so.

Makes a big difference to the bank balance :D

Have you tried the Rizla Ultra Slim filters? There a very nice size and you'll get more smokes out of a pouch using them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

On average, im fairly sure you would get around 25 rollies per small pouch and 50 per big pouch (roughly). Rollies
    -(usually) taste nicer than cigarettes
    - leave less of an after smell on you
    - you smoke less of them (effort of rolling), but it can be fun to roll too
    - sometimes they last longer, you can make your rolly big or small depending on the type of cigarette you want to have
    -less people trying to bum smokes off you
    -biggest thing of all, depending on how thick you make your rolly it is over 50 percent cheaper than cigarettes.

Personally, my favourites would be Old Holborn and Camel, but usually any will do. Make the transition, you'll never go back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Make the big switch today OP, you will save a fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

<3 Golden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 LisaLowlife

cork45 wrote: »
    Have you tried the Rizla Ultra Slim filters? There a very nice size and you'll get more smokes out of a pouch using them.

Yeah they're the ones I use, really handy in the stick form as well, can pop a couple into my box of amber leaf :)

I bought the general Rizla ones before and they are all loose in the box and the box opened in my bag and they got destroyed in make up......fail.... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

Ah amber leaf is beautiful. I switched to rollies back in 08 once a pack of smokes went up to 8.50. I used to smoke roughly 20 benson a day, Now i smoke roughly 15 rollies a day. I find its not really down to the effort of rolling as I can half a smoke rolled in about 30 seconds anyway. I think rolling tobacco just doesnt have as much of teh addictive additives as the pre-rolled. In fact when I have a bit of cash and am doing a bit of driving that day I will some times buy a pack of benson. I find myself needing more smokes than I normally would.

BUt yeah I spend about 25 euro a week now on smokes which is absolutely nothing that and I really enjoy the taste of amber leaf now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

If you've got fat fingers like me get a wee Rizla rolling machine online. Handy for rolling in certain situations.

Amber Leaf is truly handy because you even get papers with em !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

MugMugs wrote: »
    Amber Leaf is truly handy because you even get papers with em !

The free papers are handy alright, I have a Rizla farm in the drawer where I keep my smokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

I always get 250g packs from lanzorote, only 13 euro, keeps me going for well over a month or so, me and my girlfriend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 stopusingoil2

hey OP,

I would strongly suggest Cutters Choice. It is the highest quality I have come across and it tastes very mild. All the other stuff has either too much added flavour or has a high occurrence of shredded twigs etc. Texture is important too. When using rolling tobaacco, you can't just pull a clump out and roll it up. All rolling tobacco comes slightly compressed. You have to pull it apart somewhat. Fluff it up before you roll it up. Cutters choice also wins in this category, hands down. It is shredded finer than all the others. Amber leaf is a close second, but you get 0.5g less and the 'free' skins you get with it are so thick they are like computer printing paper. The pouches also fit in your pocket a lot nicer than the Amber Leaf box.

Whatever you do, be sure to ask for filter tips too. You don't want to go smoking unfiltered cigarettes, trust me. Practice rolling with the filter and tobacco in the skin. You can't roll it first and then insert the filter. Well you could but it would be a mess. I find it easiest to roll with the filter on the left too.

Hope this helps man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

Slightly off-topic, but since I switched to rollies, I've been getting headaches after a smoke. Switched about a week ago, and for a while it was grand, but in the last day or two, spark up= headaches and dizziness. Any ideas what could be causing it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,789 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

s-cogan - If you are concerned for your health, speak with a medical professional.

Seeking or offering medical advice on boards.ie is strictly forbidden.

HB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

Ok, sorry.
    Not really concerned just thought that I might need to get used to the rollies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement