Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has my monitor seen better days?

• 16-05-2011 4:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

I'v a feeling my monitor has seen better days and it's about to die on me. An example of the problems I'm looking at right now. If you were to have a white web page with a large black square in the centre, the black would seem like it were painted on and someone had wiped it to the right.. as in.. the black seems smudged.
    And a new problem I'v just noticed while typing this. There is a solid black bar going down the length of the right side of the screen.

Give it to me straight computer people - Is it time to invest in a new monitor?

I'v had this one since December 2007 or there abouts.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Probably, the solid black bar sounds like dead pixels tbh.

Purely out of curiosity what make is the monitor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

:(

It doesn't say anywhere on it, but I'm assuming it's a Compaq since that's what the computer is.

No worries was just curious it does sound like its dying though, you can pick up a decent one for small money these days, try amazon.co.uk (surprisingly good value for computer parts and brilliant customer service) or komplett.ie, pixmania.ie

Just avoid places like argos and pc world where you'll pay over the odds.

Lovely. I was just about to post asking where I could get one for a good price. Adverts.ie isn't quite cutting it. Cheers.

No worries, Id suggest a samsung panel if at all possible as they are quite good and have a 3 year warranty on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

OP you could try a website called www.fossiltoys.com

There's a monitor test card/s there.

Would eliminate a duff graphics card ect.

Worth a shot.

I cant find that site, buddy.

So...

I unplugged it then plugged it back in and it's grand. But in saying that - it was grand when I turned it on today but after a while it went weird again.

Im hoping this means its just the monitor thats bandy and not the computer itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

go to the monitor menu, settings, degauss , click that, when the monitor is on ,switch the pc off first.OR try monitor, menu, reset to factory settings.How old is your pc.IS it a lcd monitor.

Its an LCD bought in December 07ish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,326 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

ricman wrote: »
    go to the monitor menu, settings, degauss , click that, when the monitor is on ,switch the pc off first.OR try monitor, menu, reset to factory settings.How old is your pc.IS it a lcd monitor.
    Degaussing? That was for CRT monitors. Which used magnets to guide the cathode ray. Degaussing reset the magnetic field, basically. No such feature (or need of a feature) exists for LCD and LED.

So OP you have a 4 year old screen that was manufactured on the cheap, which is basically what compaq is: HP's sub-brand for Cheap. Just like Dell has a sub-brand for expensiveness: Alienware. Probably a good bet to invest in a decent screen. Im having good luck so far with my Samsung screen, and I recommend the newer LED panels for several reasons, they're easier on the eyes, the screen has much better control over white and dark contrast, and you dont rely on a single fluorescent lightbar to drive the screen: if one LED were to crap out, you'd still be able to function.

Even if the screen keeps functioning for a while, in buying a new one you can dual-screen for a while until it dies completely. Rather than wait for it to die and then have your PC incapacitated while you get a new one.

I read the degauss one on my phone last night and had to chuckle to myself a the memories of a day gone by... leaving speakers too close to the screen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

That ghosting wont go away OP. And it'll keep getting worse.

Its not a Philips monitor is it? Seen a lot of problems with ghosting on them.

I'd say its time to retire it. Or use it as a secondary monitor, for watchin movies while you use the computer...

Its not a Philips monitor is it?
    Worse: Compaq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I have a decent sony 21" CRT that you can have free o' charge if you like? (it's dell branded, but a trinitron monitor). It's capable of 1600x1200 @ 85hz.

Just thinking about CRT monitors makes me think of Bourne Identity and how horribly out of place they were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

LOL! :D

No problems from when I turned it off and on yesterday until now. Everythings looking peachy :P

Advertisement