Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy hedge(Portuguese Laurel)?

Options
  • 16-05-2011 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking to buy about 80 Portuguese Laurel hedge plants in the Dublin/Kildare area. Can anyone recommend a good value supplier?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭mobby

Purchased from here to replace a dead hedge http://www.caraghnurseries.ie/hedging out near mondello. good quality plants and reasonable enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Finn Dub

Thanks Mobby that place looks excellent, going to pop down there on Sat. As a matter of interest what did you sow? We're looking at either the Portuguese Laurel or Red Robin to replace our dead hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I am also very interested in both these plants - Portuguese Laurel or Red Robin. I really like red robin and have some plants but I've yet to see it as a thick hedge. I've see it as a thick bush / shrub or a thin hedge.

I'm going to wait till October and plant a bare root hedge - much cheaper, which is important to me as I've over a 100m length to plant!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 morg

Red robin is the better plant in my opinion.Can grow to 4 m if you let it but a standard hedge shape of 2m x 0.6m can be achieved quickly.Pretty much all Photinia x fraserii (latin name)are brought in from Italy but can withstand Irish weather very well.Price will vary due to different sizes,quantities,quality ect. I have purchased both of the plants you are after in Gardenworld nurseries in kilcoole,Co.Wicklow.Good quality bushy plants I might add.

Advertisement