Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal Cannabis Seizure - 16/5/2011

Options
  • 16-05-2011 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/three-arrested-after-donegal-cannabis-seizure-505220.html
    Three people have been arrested following a raid on a major cannabis factory in Donegal.

The operation began when gardaí stopped and searched a car near Burnfoot yesterday afternoon.

One man was arrested.

The factory was discovered during a follow-up search of a house near Buncrana overnight.

€190,000 worth of cannabis was found. Two others were arrested.

The investigation is being led by Superintendent Kevin Englishm, who told Highland Radio that the value of the seizure is likely to rise, when the examination of the house is completed.

Curious to see what the locals think of this, and if anyone has more information.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Tip of the iceberg I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

oh no! my stash!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

muffler wrote: »
    Tip of the iceberg I'd say.

Plenty of hiding places to set up shop, but isn't Donegal one of the most conservative (politically anyway) counties in Ireland? I wouldn't have thought there'd be many operations that size going up here. But then, numbers usually seem to be exaggerated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

They must be sickened...what a waste of good produce!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

why dont they sell it and put the money towards the banks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Looks like the price of weed is going up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

TPD wrote: »
    Plenty of hiding places to set up shop, but isn't Donegal one of the most conservative (politically anyway) counties in Ireland? I wouldn't have thought there'd be many operations that size going up here. But then, numbers usually seem to be exaggerated.

Maybe older people are conservative with respect to things like drugs but you could hardly say it about the younger generation, I know of plenty of people who smoke it anyway. Cant imagine the market is too big in Donegal but then it can be sold on anywhere so theres obviously profit to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Operations like this aren't worth tuppence imo,

"friends" of mine have never had any bother getting some despite various crackdowns and raids, All they do is make the cops look good to their supervisors and in turn the general public and thats all that matters. It doesn't affect the trade in anyway as far as i can see.

This operation will be classed as a success even though its estimated that less than 10% of drugs either smuggled or found (and this is a fact from the US war on drugs where there is billions of dollars spent annually) so for country as bankrupt as ours can we really afford to throw money at operations like this instead of putting it to good use (and before you say what money, you have overtime for the guards, all the paperwork, all the time the guards spend on surveilance for some of the operations, the cost of having to hire a state lawyer for the defendant, the cost of judges, jury, and then the cost of putting them in an already overcrowded prison) all for the sake of a plant that grows naturally and that even the WHO (world Health Organisation not the band) in a 2002 (correct me if i'm wrong) classed as much less dangerous than tabacco and even alcohol.

The US has a lot to answer for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

If half the people out in letterkenny at the weekends were smoking that instead of drinking there wouldn't be anywhere near as much trouble. The takeaways and corner shops would be flat out though... munch munch munch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Curious to see what the locals think of this

I'm glad!
    and if anyone has more information...

...please contact Crimestoppers at 1 800 250 025.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

sesswhat wrote: »
    I'm glad!

...please contact Crimestoppers at 1 800 250 025.

I don't want to drag this thread into a pro v against debate but can i ask why you are glad that this seizure has taken place?

Is it the criminal side of the growers and dealers or is it the cannabis itself that you have trouble with?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

danniemcq wrote: »
    Operations like this aren't worth tuppence imo,
    Yep... anyone seen "The Wire". There will always be someone to step in when one the the big players goes down. And this is a small enough find in the grand scheme of things.
    This operation will be classed as a success even though its estimated that less than 10% of drugs either smuggled or found (and this is a fact from the US war on drugs where there is billions of dollars spent annually) so for country as bankrupt as ours can we really afford to throw money at operations like this instead of putting it to good use (and before you say what money, you have overtime for the guards, all the paperwork, all the time the guards spend on surveilance for some of the operations, the cost of having to hire a state lawyer for the defendant, the cost of judges, jury, and then the cost of putting them in an already overcrowded prison)
    Getting the drugs off the street is a success though. It may be futile in some ways but they have to try. At least I want them to try.
    all for the sake of a plant that grows naturally and that even the WHO (world Health Organisation not the band) in a 2002 (correct me if i'm wrong) classed as much less dangerous than tabacco and even alcohol.

You are correct. A recent study found it quite low in the danger scale compared to other drugs. Even alcohol eh? A drug most consider safe and harmless. A recent study found that alcohol is one of the most dangerous of all drugs to society.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/alcohol-more-dangerous-than-pot-2010-11

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Satanta wrote: »
    A recent study found that alcohol is one of the most dangerous of all drugs to society.
    I'll drink to that smiley-eatdrink005.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

muffler wrote: »
    I'll drink to that smiley-eatdrink005.gif

I'll smoke to that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

You'd be surprised. I'd say Donegal is fairly liberal compared to a lot of other counties due to high emigration throughout the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Should be legalised and taxed. Its ridiculous that it was ever made illegal.

Advertisement