Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Primetime Investigates Dodgy Taxis Ltd

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

easily identifiable too, guess who's out of a job in the morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Christ it's nearly as bad as the banking industry.

No offence to taxi drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭meemeep

bad2dabone wrote: »
    lets say I get to a rank to hire a cab and the one at the front is a junker, what would happen if I chose to get into one further back that looked in good shape?

you'd have to wait for it to get to top of queue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

meemeep wrote: »

technically he can pick any car he wants....

doesnt have to pick forst car in que...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

one more for the dole que tomorrow. That NCT inspector is a joker.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭medicsie

It is the customer's choice as to which taxi he/she takes, regardless of order in queue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Lads this is unreal stuff if true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

If you worked with that guy in NCT centre you would know him straight away!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭paulgalway

lets say I get to a rank to hire a cab and the one at the front is a junker, what would happen if I chose to get into one further back that looked in good shape?

Taxi Regulator rules states you can get into any taxi in a rank, you don't even have to give a reason for skipping the cars at the top of the rank/que.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I doubt it. You can't stop someone from getting into a car not at the front. How are you going to stop them? Assault?

I refuse to get into the junkers because it's totally unfair on the cabbies who make an effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

one more for the dole que tomorrow. That NCT inspector is a joker.

It should be two more for jail not the xxxx dole!!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Shocking stuff, Joe Duffy must be glad he took this week off, poor lad taking his place will have the phonelines hammered out of it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

paulgalway wrote: »
    Taxi Regulator rules states you can get into any taxi in a rank, you don't even have to give a reason for skipping the cars at the top of the rank/que.

I think i'll be exercising my rights to choose the cab in future. Thanks lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

For every full time legitimate driver on our streets, be they black, white, yellow, or pink they have my wholehearted sympathy. This programme is absolutely shocking and the taxi regulator Kathleen Doyle has to resign or be sacked.

Taxi drivers have been talking about these problems for years now and have been universally laughed at, sneered at, or ignored. I think that has to change now.

NCT dude is a bit of a reject.

• Advertisement

Is it true that from June the test has to be done yearly on cars 10yrs and older?

These guys taking on the take will be laughing all the way to the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭meemeep

I think i'll be exercising my rights to choose the cab in future. Thanks lads.

didn't know that thanks - I've been told before I had to wait for chosen car to get to top of queue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

That pees me off about the NCT's..

All the money I've spent getting stuff fixed on various bangers to get them through the NCT so I can continue to drive..

and these gobsheens just paying €100 and getting those pieces of crap cars to pass the NCT..

This country sometimes needs a good kick in the arse! :mad:

M

Is it true that from June the test has to be done yearly on cars 10yrs and older?

Yes.

M

Patsy K is doing a piece on it on Frontline, should be fun with the audience participation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

baldbear wrote: »
    This will give some people more excuses not to get in taxis drove by black people.

No, it should give people reason not to get into obvious sh!tboxes. You don't have to take the first car at the rank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

The NCT centers deserve a programme on their own:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

How are people suprised at this ****, its obvious, and there has been a number of threads recentley that got quite heated about Taxis.

Its Ireland, its corrupt always has been always will be. The NCT is a ****ing joke, Im glad its been shown up as the sham that it is.

And nobody is getting fired over this. Funny how all the cars that were heaps were the cars mentioned on here to be "bulletproof".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

give him a 100e u will get ur nct for 3 yrs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

jesus - this is sick.

Is there anything in this country that not just a façade backed up by a corrupt pile of fookin sh1t :mad: After years of politicians blocking the introduction of the NCT because it wasn't popular, now we find its a complete pile of sh1t anyway ( as well as too lenient ). FFS - then again I suppose when the politicians are as bent as that of any other banana republic - we shouldn't expect the standards of the rest of us to be any better.

Based on the program, they now need to explain why the 9 year rule was removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Cionád wrote: »
    The rapist was white, the drink driver was white, the minibus woman was white...

And all over weight. Have they not been watching the safe food ads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭brotherrabbit

Love how the taxi reg declined to comment!, seeing the state of them cars " passing" an NCT is shocking and worrying

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

staker wrote: »
    That lady was pretty innocent in my book,ignorant as f***, but innocent.
    She couldn't see the harm in it at all.confused.gif
    She knowingly is bring 2 or three times the number permissible in her van - permissible had she a valid permit. Kids standing inside the bus - no seatbelts for them.
    She may not be insured.
    Her actions could have resulted in many deaths had she been involved in an impact.
    F**K her!!!
    She can afford a boat parked on her drive but not to ensure kids in her care are looked after?
    She is not innocent.
    Big Nelly wrote: »
    There were two featured from there. Also, one has to presume that they are not alone in there.
    foxinsox wrote: »
    That pees me off about the NCT's..

All the money I've spent getting stuff fixed on various bangers to get them through the NCT so I can continue to drive..

and these gobsheens just paying €100 and getting those pieces of crap cars to pass the NCT..

This country sometimes needs a good kick in the arse! :mad:
    Are you not glad that your own car was made legal?
    That shouldn't be a factor in your reason for loathing the scammin scum featured in the programme.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    jesus - this is sick.

Is there anything in this country that not just a façade backed up by a corrupt pile of fookin sh1t :mad:
    My mechanic has been saying for a number of years that he could NCT a scuttery ****.

It's shocking yes, but something I have heard about before

EDIT: just to add he hasn't but it pisses him off that others do

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote: »

[Ali G]Is it because him is black[/Ali G], no because he was a White Irish man. Cries of racism on account of anything in this show do real damage to genuine victims of racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

johnos1984 wrote: »
    The NCT centers deserve a programme on their own:eek:

Agreed. Call me naive but i thought the nct to be foolproof to this sort of thing like the new mot in the uk. I think of the hoops i had to jump through last year to get a cert. Some hen brain can just walk in with a junker and presto instant pass.

Even more annoying is the attitude of those on top. What's the bets a few low level testers , maybe a shift supervisor get the chop and the higher ups just walk away scot free and say "see , we cleaned house. all's well" :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

What a surprise the Chairman of the RSA Gay Byrne wasn't interviewed in the programme, suppose they couldn't ask an RTE legend a few tough questions :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

leincar wrote: »
    For every full time legitimate driver on our streets, be they black, white, yellow, or pink they have my wholehearted sympathy. This programme is absolutely shocking and the taxi regulator Kathleen Doyle has to resign or be sacked.

Taxi drivers have been talking about these problems for years now and have been universally laughed at, sneered at, or ignored. I think that has to change now.

Not having a go or anything but I thought she was trying to reform the Taxi industry? Things like having cars no older then 9 years as taxi's, having them painted a specific uniform colour ala the yellow cabs in New York etc. Were these basic attempts not fiercely resisted by the taxi drivers themselves and the unions? I could be wrong but I think thats partially the case, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

seriously, those cars coming out of the (original unbribed) NCT that are unroadworthy should be forced to park up and not allowed to be driven away.
    if the cops in the UK pull you over and do a few small checks and find your car unroadworthy, you have to make other plans to get home. you just don't drive that car again until you produce a new MOT to the local cop shop. how you get the car to the mechanic and on to the MOT is your problem, but you just don't drive it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 140 ✭✭nizo888

Fat racist in the audience on the Frontline complaining about people not speaking English properly. Bizarre!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I had heard of genuine NCT certs available at a price but I never really believed it until tonight. Shocking.

nizo888 wrote: »
    Fat racist in the audience on the Frontline complaining about people not speaking English properly. Bizarre!
    Have you ever spent an hour doing a tour of Dublin at 3 in the morning because some twonk can't understand where your going?

Basic skills and language are important for the job. I go with any driver but if they start feckin around they get a 'set fee'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

*sigh* knew this would be raised

To give her the benefit of the doubt, her point that if you're dealing with someone who has a very poor grasp of the language, doesn't know where they're going, and is overcharging you as a result is still a valid one - REGARDLESS of what color the driver is!

I'm sick to death of this ridiculous attitude that if mention anything about a non-national in this country then you must be a "racist" and therefore your whole point is suddenly invalid that is so prevalent on this Boards.

For balance (and comedy value - before someone ELSE gets offended!) I couldn't understand a word the Cork fella said either :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

First of all the prime time program was excellent and I reckon that a whole feckin series could have been done as i think that there is probably a million other cases of fraud. Taxi regulator needs to go and a full system change needs to happen.

I wonder if you buy a car with an nct just got can you sue the nct center if subsequently you find faults that could not have happened quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭baldbear

Yes fat but racist? It's very annoying getting in a taxi and the driver can bearly speak English. If you can't communicate with the customer you shouldn't be allowed be a taxi driver imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Wheelie King

Just another day in Ireland the banana republic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Wheelie King

baldbear wrote: »
    Yes fat but racist? It's very annoying getting in a taxi and the driver can bearly speak English. If you can't communicate with the customer you shouldn't be allowed be a taxi driver imo.

+1. She came across badly but her point is a valid one.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    For balance (and comedy value before someone ELSE gets offended!) I couldn't understand a word the Cork fella said either :p

Neither could I, and I'm from Cork ;)

kona wrote: »
    Its Ireland, its corrupt always has been always will be. The NCT is a ****ing joke, Im glad its been shown up as the sham that it is.

London is full of touts - unlicensed cars masquerading as minicabs - they're always hanging around nightclubs and late-night venues. I've seen the same in other British towns. Dodgy MOT's are easily obtainable over there too.

I was robbed at gunpoint by a fake taxi driver in Argentina before, and believe me, even the genuine taxis over there are a hundred times worse than the worst ones here. A friend of mine also got ripped off by an unlicensed cab in New York when he arrived in JFK airport.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Jigga wrote: »
    What a surprise the Chairman of the RSA Gay Byrne wasn't interviewed in the programme, suppose they couldn't ask an RTE legend a few tough questions :rolleyes:.
    Did you not see anyone from the RSA on the show. I did! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Basic skills and language are important for the job.
    This is very true (or should be) for ANY job that involves dealing with the public - be it a taxi driver or a doctor or the person who serves you your burger in McDonalds!

If you want to work here you should be able to speak the language - in the same way as if you go to Germany or France, you'll be expected to learn the local language rapidly.

kbannon wrote: »
    Did you not see anyone from the RSA on the show. I did! :rolleyes:

shhh we want Gaybo blood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Sorry for off topic post but i cannot believe that's what conor faughnan looks like. I've heard him on various radio show's over the years but never seen him. I had a completely different picture in my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

kbannon wrote: »
    She knowingly is bring 2 or three times the number permissible in her van - permissible had she a valid permit. Kids standing inside the bus - no seatbelts for them.
    She may not be insured.
    Her actions could have resulted in many deaths had she been involved in an impact.
    F**K her!!!
    She can afford a boat parked on her drive but not to ensure kids in her care are looked after?
    She is not innocent.

She's innocent to the way the world has changed on the roads. There's a lot of people oblivious to what's right and what's wrong on the roads these days-outside lane hoggers,indicators as keyring holders,look in the "parking thread"...
    Innocent was probably the wrong word,stupid or uneducated would have been better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement