Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Primetime Investigates Dodgy Taxis Ltd

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

baldbear wrote: »
    If you can't communicate with the customer you shouldn't be allowed be a taxi driver imo.

but as we've seen you don't have to have a PSV licence to drive a taxi.

Taxi regulator needs to get the bullet. The word "regulator" in relation to irish business is a joke.

Kathleen Doyle is probably on 150k a year and she won't even come on the show to answer the questions. Lazy overpaid wastrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

that Gob****e Conor keeps doging the Q!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

bad2dabone wrote: »
    but as we've seen you don't have to have a PSV licence to drive a taxi.

Taxi regulator needs to get the bullet. The word "regulator" in relation to irish business is a joke.

Kathleen Doyle is probably on 150k a year and she won't even come on the show to answer the questions. Lazy overpaid wastrel.
    Why don't the Gardaí pull over a few cars and check thread depths and other basic safety equipment?

Or is that harassment

that Gob****e Conor keeps doging the Q!!!
    In fairness Plank Kenny keeps asking the same question.

The AA audits the equipment not the testers or process involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

The people on that front line program are not well..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Why don't the Gardaí pull over a few cars and check thread depths and other basic safety equipment?

Or is that harassment

They'll "harass" the rest of us if the mood takes them on a nice summers afteroon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Absurdum wrote: »
    London is full of touts - unlicensed cars masquerading as minicabs - they're always hanging around nightclubs and late-night venues. I've seen the same in other British towns. Dodgy MOT's are easily obtainable over there too.

I was robbed at gunpoint by a fake taxi driver in Argentina before, and believe me, even the genuine taxis over there are a hundred times worse than the worst ones here. A friend of mine also got ripped off by an unlicensed cab in New York when he arrived in JFK airport.

What are you trying to say? Im talking about Dublin, I dont care about what happens elsewhere, we should have our own standards and not look at what others are doing:rolleyes:

First off your mate in New York , its a flat rate of $50 + tip for a taxi from JFK to manhattan. You go to a designated rank and get in a designated yellow cab. Ive got cabs here plenty of times been fine, and its wasnt a bogey carina. If your getting ripped off its because your allowing it.

Argentina? Well ill give you that, South america is bandit country.

Can you imagine if they introduced "the knowledge" here?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

staker wrote: »
    She's innocent to the way the world has changed on the roads. There's a lot of people oblivious to what's right and what's wrong on the roads these days-outside lane hoggers,indicators as keyring holders,look in the "parking thread"...
    Innocent was probably the wrong word,stupid or uneducated would have been better.
    I don't understand.
    She knows what she was doing. She even said it herself that it would only be temporary.
    She knew that she should have had a PSV licence. To get this, she would have had to do an exam. I don't accept your view that she was innocent in any way. She is responsible for her actions. What she did was nowhere in the same league as a dip**** who sits in the overtaking lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

When will this be on RTE player?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

kbannon wrote: »
    Are you not glad that your own car was made legal?
    That shouldn't be a factor in your reason for loathing the scammin scum featured in the programme.

yeah, I am glad, maybe I didn't word it right..

I've been driving for years and have always got cars passed the NCT, any cars I've had have never had anything serious wrong.. bulbs gone I think has been the only thing..and that's after I checked them an hour before :o

What I meant is the fact is that so many of us law abiding people spend money and time making sure our cars are safe and roadworthy and then that carry on is going on.. that's what I meant.

:)

unkel wrote: »
    When will this be on RTE player?

Tomorrow at the latest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

kona wrote: »
    What are you trying to say? Im talking about Dublin, I dont care about what happens elsewhere, we should have our own standards and not look at what others are doing:rolleyes:

First off your mate in New York , its a flat rate of $50 + tip for a taxi from JFK to manhattan. You go to a designated rank and get in a designated yellow cab. Ive got cabs here plenty of times been fine, and its wasnt a bogey carina. If your getting ripped off its because your allowing it.

Argentina? Well ill give you that, South america is bandit country.

you're original comment seemed to say that this kind of behaviour is unique to ireland, whereas it was pointed out that it happens everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

A few years ago when the school bus crashed, killing those 5 girls, the test centre that passed the bus was held responsible.

When one of these bangers crashes and kills innocent people the NCT will have to be brought to task.
    I would say the bribes go further up the line.

From tomorrow it will just be the same old story again unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I don't understand.

I don't accept your view that she was innocent in any way.

Like I said in my post you quoted,innocent was the wrong word I used. Her school of thought is very similar to the outside lane-hogger in that it stinks of "arra shur if i don't get caught tis grand"-that's the likeness I was implying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭baldbear

A sick industry. Nail on the head.

staker wrote: »
    Like I said in my post you quoted,innocent was the wrong word I used. Her school of thought is very similar to the outside lane-hogger in that it stinks of "arra shur if i don't get caught tis grand"-that's the likeness I was implying.
    I understand but ignorance isn't a legal defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

worst thing is nothing will change.........

some nct centres will still give out dodgy certs....

some taxi drivers will break the law

and the regulator will still be paid a massive salary to oversee it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

you're original comment seemed to say that this kind of behaviour is unique to ireland, whereas it was pointed out that it happens everywhere.

Corruption isnt unique to Ireland, however there are places it isnt tolerated.

My original comment was about how people are shocked about this. Anybody who works doing jobs for public will come across the Nixers, or paying more money to jump the que. Its acceptable in countries that have no proper governing structure, (3rd world mostly), since we seem to think we are first world, we need to get a government that runs it like one. My comments were about the NCT since its motors I dont see where getting held up at gunpoint in Argentina comes in.

Theres nothing wrong with making money in your spare time, there is when its creating a uneven playing field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

That Fonthill centre is a joke, everybody I know who has gone there has stories to tell.
    Here's my one for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

foxinsox wrote: »
    yeah, I am glad, maybe I didn't word it right..

I've been driving for years and have always got cars passed the NCT, any cars I've had have never had anything serious wrong.. bulbs gone I think has been the only thing..and that's after I checked them an hour before :o

What I meant is the fact is that so many of us law abiding people spend money and time making sure our cars are safe and roadworthy and then that carry on is going on.. that's what I meant.

:)
    Yep,
    feeling the same TBH. I feel the same when I see the amount of people getting away without tax and insurance when the rest of us pay up front like good law abiding citizens. The same with the clowns who've walked away from the mess that this country is in with nice fat pensions and perks despite being the ones that made the decisions.
    Its just another indictment for the attitude we as a nation allow to happen right in front of us.
    This kinda stuff should be very harshly punishable. Makes a mockery of society.

foxinsox wrote: »
    so many of us law abiding people spend money and time making sure our cars are safe and roadworthy and then that carry on is going on.. that's what I meant.

I know exactly how you're feeling! My 10 year old car failed the NCT test this morning. Nothing serious, but I spent all day and a lot of money to get the things sorted. I turned up this evening at my local test centre (obviously without an appointment) and asked the man at the gate could he re-test my car. He said he didn't know as they were busy and near closing time. I should go into reception and ask for a supervisor. Supervisor (from eastern Europe, not that this is relevant) came within a minute and said wait 5 minutes, just checking something. He came back within 5 minutes, said no problem, give me the keys (car was parked outside). I paid the re-test fee and he came back within another 5 minutes with the NCT cert. Valid until 2013 :)

Every organisation has its rotten apples. But for me, I'm happy with the NCT. €50 for a comprehensive safety test is a bargain. Does anyone remember the bangers that used to be on the road even up till the mid to late 90s? Death traps, and most of them are well gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Resend

Prime time guy was also breaki ng the law. he was the driver who had the most knowledge of how dangerous the car was and continued to drive it for his program. should he not be prosecuted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

Resend wrote: »
    Prime time guy was also breaki ng the law. he was the driver who had the most knowledge of how dangerous the car was and continued to drive it for his program. should he not be prosecuted

no he did'nt!

It's just been posted on the RTE Player

Linky

• Advertisement

Resend wrote: »
    We don't know whether they informed the gardai or whatever and the gardai allowed it out in order to crack this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

unkel wrote: »
    I know exactly how you're feeling! My 10 year old car failed the NCT test this morning. Nothing serious, but I spent all day and a lot of money to get the things sorted. I turned up this evening at my local test centre (obviously without an appointment) and asked the man at the gate could he re-test my car. He said he didn't know as they were busy and near closing time. I should go into reception and ask for a supervisor. Supervisor (from eastern Europe, not that this is relevant) came within a minute and said wait 5 minutes, just checking something. He came back within 5 minutes, said no problem, give me the keys (car was parked outside). I paid the re-test fee and he came back within another 5 minutes with the NCT cert. Valid until 2013 :)

Every organisation has its rotten apples. But for me, I'm happy with the NCT. €50 for a comprehensive safety test is a bargain. Does anyone remember the bangers that used to be on the road even up till the mid to late 90s? Death traps, and most of them are well gone.
    I have to be honest, I did once view the NCT as an absolute disgrace - an inconvenient rip off - however as I started to realise it's benefits that has all changed. Last time out they picked up on some weathered and worn rubber around the area that the tyre and tyre filler cap met. The last guy that replaced my tyres didnt replace these (apparently a standard thing to do and they were relatively cheap when I did get them sorted). The tester did point them out to me and I realised how dangerous this was. I would NEVER have spotted them myself and it could have been a nasty time that they failed completely on me.
    I dont really have an issue with the NCT in itself, just with this level of cowboyism and dishonesty that now appears to be rife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Unkel,

Sorry to say & in my opinion -- your earlier comment re YOU got your NCT almost smacks of "Im ok jack .... "

Consider this - If you knew that a whole load OR any amount of dodgy operations were going on in hospitals BUT were being passed off as fine - How would you react? Well my op was fine, Im ok jack?

Here we have an unknown amount of corruption in out NCT centres, cars - death traps - being passed for last few years. How many accidents have occurred due to this? How many people have died as a direct result of this? How many cars have been sold by dealers with a "passed" NCT test to you or me?

YES - all unquantifiable at the moment. The end result is we now have an NCT system with an unknown amount of corruption inside it. This has fed back into the taxi industry where it seems we now have taxi's on the road:

1. With dodgy NCTs
    2. without licensed drivers
    3. that are not licenced taxi's themselves

Are you happy with all of this, now that YOU have had YOUR NCT sorted? In fact can you fully, hand on heart now swear your car did get passed? Is it now good enough to say "Ah shur I have the Cert" Im ok jack?

EDIT to clarify: NO, I am not suggesting that unkel bribed the NCT - Sorry UNKEL, if it came across that way.

I am just saying what if - as he was late - the tester unknown to him, passed his test because he wanted to go home? With the corruption as described is it now possible that everything is possible??

Aidan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

kwalshe wrote: »
    no he did'nt!

He allowed "Josh" to rent the car in Limerick and watch it being used as a taxi for days??

Why not inform the Guards about the condition of the car.

aidanodr wrote: »
    Unkel,

Sorry to say but your earlier comment re YOU got your NCT almost smacks of "Im ok jack .... "

<snip>

Are you happy with all of this, now that YOU have had YOUR NCT sorted? In fact can you fully, hand on heart now swear your car did get passed? Is it now good enough to say "Ah shur I have the Cert" Im ok jack?
    Are you suggesting that unkel bribed the NCT or got a dodgy cert? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Cdub

I think we all probably have bad tales about NCT centres.
    There a disgrace.

Oh, I'd also like to point out to the anti-RSA brigade on here (who hate their anti-young male stance), the ad* with the young one texting was on twice over the last hour or so.

linked here but for some stupid reason they don't provide for embeddine opr linking to their movies.

Are you suggesting that unkel bribed the NCT or got a dodgy cert? :confused:

NO, not suggesting that unkel bribed the NCT - Sorry UNKEL, if it came across that way.

I am just saying what if - as he was late - the tester unknown to him, passed his test because he wanted to go home? With the corruption as described is it now possible that everything is possible??

Aidan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Resend

We don't know whether they informed the gardai or whatever and the gardai allowed it out in order to crack this case.
    and what protection do the bpublic have when it is being driven to 'crack' the case. my understandin was the prime time guy drove it from their own independent tester to the nct and back. How did it get from dublin to Navan- was it navan?- was it failed at around 8 am and passed same day miles away? That is my understanding but maybe i missed something very tired. If he drive it from dublin to navan or around to centres knowing how deadly it was he should be prosecuted

Here we have an unknown amount of corruption in out NCT centres

There's corruption everywhere. This country is a banana republic :)

Corrupt Taoisigh and corrupt ministers and none of them even go to jail. And people actually re-elect them :eek:

No wonder a corrupt Joe Bloggs might think he'll get away with it.

But seriously, I do not think the NCT is full of corrupt testers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    This is very true (or should be) for ANY job that involves dealing with the public - be it a taxi driver or a doctor or the person who serves you your burger in McDonalds!

If you want to work here you should be able to speak the language - in the same way as if you go to Germany or France, you'll be expected to learn the local language rapidly.

Pilots and ATCO are tested for english language proficency there should be some form of testing here for anyone driving a bus/truck or taxi.

Pilots and ATCO are tested for english language proficency there should be some form of testing here for anyone driving a bus/truck or taxi.

...or both ;)

Unkel and others,

I am just amazed that even the slight probability that people could have been killed over the last few years due to dodgy, corrupt NCTs was/has not even been mentioned / considered?

How about the many lone car crashes we have been having?

Lets take a scenario. Small car dealer in older second hand cars does this NCT bribing on most of his/her stock. Mary unknowingly buys one of these cars. Few months later she is driving home alone some night, huge malfunction occurs, next she leaves the road and slams into a tree. Killed stone dead.

Aidan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

It's on RTE Player now http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1098510

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

so send in people to set them up... you wont ever completely end it, but it could be clamped down upon alot! also yes there is corruption here, but to suggest its because Irish work there is a joke, if you have ever been to an nct test centre, there would be more foreigners than irish, and it their countries corruption would be alot more widespread and accepted than here (ofcourse there are exceptions)!

• Advertisement

Cionád wrote: »

Someone posted that 14 posts before yours :)

I am just amazed that even the slight probability that people could have been killed over the last few years due to dodgy, corrupt NCTs was/has not even been mentioned / considered?
    We can't ever really know on past events but thankfully nowadays, there are investigations into why a fatality occurs which should sheld some light.
    How about the many lone car crashes we have been having?
    Maybe a similar number to the amount of suicides but again these go ignored.

We can't ever really know on past events but thankfully nowadays, there are investigations into why a fatality occurs which should sheld some light.

With all these investigations & if they do turn up flaws in the car which caused the accident - Do they work back and see when the NCT was done. Tally this with the wear on faulty components and see if it should NOT have actually passed the NCT?

OR is the NCT cert just given a cursory look and that as far as it goes?

OR will all this now have to change after tonight AND sufficient backtrack will need to be done due to distrust in a corrupt NCT system?

Aidan

You would have to talk to the gardai about this.
    However, it is possible that there have been no fatalities due to cars that were not adequately tested.
    Also, was a dodgy NCT'ed car to be involved in a fatal accident, it might be difficult to prove that the NCT was dodgy (and the faults in the car were present beforehand).
    Also, an NCT is an indication of the car on the day and mistakes can and I'm quite sure do happen.
    It would be difficult to prove a fatal incident to a corrupt NCT IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

What a corrupt country Ireland is. Cant believe this sh**te is going on. The NCT should be scraped once and for all when this crap is happening.

This song will just have to get re-released again as it suits the times we live in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2IwOemnjbI&feature=fvwrel

teednab-el wrote: »
    What a corrupt country Ireland is. Cant believe this sh**te is going on. The NCT should be scraped once and for all when this crap is happening.
    We need to have a test under the EU directive.
    What do you suggest as a replacement? Something like the UK system which apparently is far more corrupt?

What do you suggest as a replacement? Something like the UK system which apparently is far more corrupt?

I find that an interesting statement.

First the EU insists we have to have an NCT test then we have to choose which system based on the level of corruption in it. Our own corrupt system OR an even more corrupt UK based system.

Any chance of a system that is not corrupt? Because if it is degrees of corruption we have to choose between .. WHY BOTHER HAVING A TEST AT ALL?

Aidasn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Note that MOT tests in UK mainland are done at designated garages; in the north it is done same as here - specific test centres.

Another thought:

This could also deliver manna from heaven to Solicitors. The NCT system undermined like this - if technically argued in court where an NCT issue arrises - could get alot of cases struck out. I seem to remember, not too long ago, the gardai "ignored" the NCT disc because the whole NCT thing was subject to legal loopholes? maybe that was something else?

Aidan

• Advertisement

Just watched the program on the RTE player. And the NCT center is the very center I've put 20-30 cars through - Fonthill. I really hope the program will help to get rid of the rotten apples. I betcha there's loads of genuine NCT testers out there who are sick to their stomachs watching this :(

Advertisement