Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Primetime Investigates Dodgy Taxis Ltd

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭taintabird

Depending on how extensive it is it might be worth doing an examination of all cars involved in fatal accidents or all cars written off in crashes and comparing to the most recent NCT's

80% of all road accidents are the result of human error so mechanical failure isn't going to be a huge figure, I would say the cost of doing such a survey would be much better spent on driver training

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

taintabird wrote: »
    80% of all road accidents are the result of human error so mechanical failure isn't going to be a huge figure, I would say the cost of doing such a survey would be much better spent on driver training
    In or around the time that the NCT was starting, I recall seeing a statistic bandied about that 2% of accidents were due to a fault with the vehicle.

More on it on RTE1 now.
    Applus claim corruption problem lies with individuals.
    RTE have evidence that its systemic with Applus apparently

edit:
    allegations made...
    * 12 more whistleblowers have come forward after Monday
    * bonus for testers who test more cars (means less checking)
    * supervisors spending time testing and not supervising
    * problems with some newer testing equipment - it had to be scrapped after too many failures

and Miriam looked as hot as ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

kbannon wrote: »
    In or around the time that the NCT was starting, I recall seeing a statistic bandied about that 2% of accidents were due to a fault with the vehicle.

Which would make you wonder why they can justify only giving out NCT certs for 12 months to 10 year old cars and older from June 1st.

They claim that older cars are involved in more fatal accidents, therefore older cars are more dangerous that newer ones but the fact is that young male drivers buying their first car have to go for older models simply because they need so much money to buy insurance.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I hope that the Gardai do investigate and that Applus get the contract taken off them.

How did the RSA allow this to happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Neyite wrote: »

That's not a serious question is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I hope that the Gardai do investigate and that Applus get the contract taken off them.

If I answered that question, I might get banned:rolleyes::p

Yep that sounds about right the rest is made up from speed drink driving and pilot error.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

jimmyw wrote: »
    If I answered that question, I might get banned:rolleyes::p

Rolleys at my question, or at the NCT? If its directed at me, please explain.

That's not a serious question is it?

Yes it was a serious question. Why do you ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Rolleys at my question, or at the NCT? If its directed at me, please explain.

No not you, the RSA actually I was talking about.Lets say I dont rate them too highly.

• Advertisement

Yep that sounds about right the rest is made up from speed drink driving and pilot error.
    No room left for drugs, poor road engineering/maintenance, suicide, pedestrian (or other road user) error, etc.?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

LOL you couldn't make this stuff up

Imagine if I was to suggest that the recession meant that NCT backhanders were more common :pac:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2011/0119/1224287847693.html
    However, the number of dangerous failures dropped from 6,554 in 2009 to 4,428 in 2010, a decrease of a third in a one-year period. The number of dangerous fails on retest also dropped from 556 in 2009 to 494 last year.
    The jump in the number of failures in 2009 may be put down to the introduction of penalty points for driving a vehicle without a valid NCT in 2009, resulting in a surge of applications for car tests, with more than 100,000 drivers booking a national car test in the fortnight prior to the changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 MaryDub

Where would we be without Prime Time to uncover such crime. Can trust nodoby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

foxinsox wrote: »
    jaysus...

glad I don't get the bus :eek:

or taxis..

You could get the bus into town at 8pm, and the same driver brings you home when you hail a taxi at 3am:eek:

No room left for drugs, poor road engineering/maintenance, suicide, pedestrian (or other road user) error, etc.?

I would agree with all of the above wit the exception of poor road engineering/maintenance as it's up to the driver to drive appropriately to the road conditions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

I would agree with all of the above wit the exception of poor road engineering/maintenance as it's up to the driver to drive appropriately to the road conditions

There are plenty of places where there are potholes the size of cars after nearly blind corners in 80 kmph zones, maintenance is a big issue on irish roads, it causes plenty of loss of life and even more NCT failures, and to a certain extent you gotta accept that some people are going to drive like eejits no matter what the situation, a lot of these people are not killed because they lost control of the car, but killed because they hit a tree located on a very bad bend, small things like the odd gravel trap and removing certain tree's could save lives at little cost, better road engineering would definitly help.

In a perfect world all drivers would drive appropriately to the road conditions but it's not a perfect world and it's definitly not a perfect Ireland, you gotta allow for this to a certain extent when designing the roads. If software was developed the way roads were built computers would be almost unusable for the majority of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

On the other hand, if you design roads to make them 100% safe for all drivers, they'll end up looking like F1 tracks - straight lines, chicanes and big run-off areas. That'd be a bad outcome for the majority of us who can use our common sense and our eyes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    On the other hand, if you design roads to make them 100% safe for all drivers
    what about other road users too ?

cars can accelerate and brake better then in the past which means drivers are more tempted to driver faster through bends, which doesn't help pedestrians or cyclists :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33 snowdaisy

I wonder if you buy a car with an nct just got can you sue the nct center if subsequently you find faults that could not have happened quickly.

Thats why i checked this thread out i think i just bought one.

Has anyone ever tried asking for your money back after being missold a car privately??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

snowdaisy wrote: »
    Thats why i checked this thread out i think i just bought one.

Has anyone ever tried asking for your money back after being missold a car privately??

Unfortunately private sales are "buyer beware" - ie: it's up to you to check the car out to your satisfaction before money changes hands.

You can certainly try asking the seller for a refund but they're under no obligation (legal or otherwise) to give it to you.

What kid of car, how old, and whats the fault out of curiosity?

Advertisement