If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused... LED or LCD??

Options
  • 16-05-2011 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Hi All,

If anyone can answer this question it would be great.

I always thought there where 3 types of tv available plasma, LCD or LED.

I am helping a friend pick out a good tv an LED one however there have been a few tv's when I check the specs one says its LED the other calls it LCD for example the Phillips 46PFL5605H/05, type this in google and you will see one title calling it LCD and then another LED so what is it???

I understand it has an LED backlight so is it just an LCD with an LED backlight? if so then it is not an LED TV? or all LED tv's are simply LCD tv's with LED backlights?

If they are just LCD screens and not true LED screens I find this very misleading

Thanks for your help in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

<Snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

yeah I came across that, that is a true (slim) LED tv??

Looks like to me there are lots of people thinking they have bought one of these in fact they only got themselves an LCD tv??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭biscuiteater

<Snip>

<Snip>

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment:

@Vicwatson, biscuiteater,

Please take a moment to read the Charter - here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055564744 - and note that queries here should be left to Richersounds to answer and that links to third party sites are generally not appropriate.

@Mr CJ,

If you are looking for general opinions from Boardies to your question you could also post on the Home Entertainment forums here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=863.

Thanks,

Ritz.

• Advertisement

Apologies The Ritz. I will read the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sparky208

<Snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Nicola on behalf of Ash:

Hey Mr. CJ,

It is confusing but here's the breakdown...

There are 2 different groups of LCD. There's the traditional CCFL LCD which are the LCD's that we refer to when we call a TV LCD. Then there's the LED LCD. These are also LCD panels but are lit with LED light as oppossed to CCFL light.

People generally shorten the names from CCFL LCD = LCD and LED LCD = LED.

Now there are also different types of LED LCD's.

Backlit LED LCD - This is an LCD TV lit by approx 128 LED's behind the LCD.

Edgelit LED LCD - This is the "slim led" tv's that you're talking about. There are LED's down the edges of this panel that illuminate the entire screen. Low power consumption on these screens too.

Full Backlit LED LCD - These have 1792 LED's that illuminate the panel. These also boast localised dimming in that the LED's turn themselves of to achieve true blacks. These boast the best picture but are the most expensive.

Only the edgelit are "slim".

The 46PFL5605 is a backlit LED LCD.

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks, Nicola.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭biscuiteater

sorry ritz, not that computer savy, just thought it might have helped, i didn't intend to break the rule, so sorry

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.