Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths help

• 16-05-2011 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Anyone care to help me solve the following? Lim(x-0) sinxtanx/x^2???I have reduced tan x to sinx/cosx giving me sin^2x/cosx//x^2 ..have then attempted to find the limit of sin^2x and 1/cosx//x2 and have multiplied them only to get the answer wrong..:confused:?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

ted9308 wrote: »
    Anyone care to help me solve the following? Lim(x-0) sinxtanx/x^2???I have reduced tan x to sinx/cosx giving me sin^2x/cosx//x^2 ..have then attempted to find the limit of sin^2x and 1/cosx//x2 and have multiplied them only to get the answer wrong..:confused:?

Have you studied L'Hopital's Rule?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

All these kinds of questions on the LC course can be handled using the fact that the limit as x->0 of [sin(x)]/x is 1.

In this case, group your expression as [sin(x)]/x times [sin(x)]/x times 1/cos(x), and apply the product rule for limits.

(L'Hopital's rule is not on the LC course, so most students wouldn't know it at this level.)

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

All these kinds of questions on the LC course can be handled using the fact that the limit as x->0 of [sin(x)]/x is 1.

In this case, group your expression as [sin(x)]/x times [sin(x)]/x times 1/cos(x), and apply the product rule for limits.

(L'Hopital's rule is not on the LC course, so most students wouldn't know it at this level.)

Ah right, sorry. I did see it in a revision book a few years ago though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Ah right, sorry. I did see it in a revision book a few years ago though

Yeah, some do it, but I'm not sure whether it's "allowed".

Advertisement