Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Furniture

Options
  • 16-05-2011 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Bought a bench in Homebase last year , left it out over the winter . Now it needs to be stained or oiled . The problem is I don't know which to use . When I bought it it had a redish brown matt finish on it and the finish on the wood was a little rough . The type of garden furniture you would find in most hardware stores .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

If its made from pine staining with a polyurethane base is probably best. Oil is for harder timber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jeffhowdy

Hello Friends...

If someone wants to polish his/her furniture in a cheapest way then i have something special for you.....Took olive oil and the vinegar......then add 3 parts of the olive oil and one part of the vinegar to a vessel and prepare a mixture of both and then use this mixture to polish your furniture....The furniture will sparkles like a gem...

Jeff Howdy.
    ==========
    Click for garden furniture:- Garden Furniture | Garden Furniture Sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 nicholas.murphy

I have asome garden furniture - table, chairs, loungers. It's certainly not pine, and it doesn't indent easily, so I believe it's hardwood.

The first year, I stained it with three coats, but over the winter blackish & greyish areas appeared.
    The second year I machine sanded it to remove the stain and varnished it with two coats, but that started to peel quickly in the sun.

Now this is the third year, and I'm going to machine sand the furniture again this weekend. So, what to use to protect it - stain (water or oil based) varnish, or even oil? Any advice?

Also, any advice for sanding chairs with lots of thin spindles on the back and seat? I was thinking of sandblasting, but it's messy and probably too aggressive.

Thanks in Advance,
    Nick

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

jeffhowdy wrote: »
    Hello Friends...

If someone wants to polish his/her furniture in a cheapest way then i have something special for you.....Took olive oil and the vinegar......then add 3 parts of the olive oil and one part of the vinegar to a vessel and prepare a mixture of both and then use this mixture to polish your furniture....The furniture will sparkles like a gem...

Jeff Howdy.
    ==========
    Click for garden furniture:- Garden Furniture | Garden Furniture Sets.

I can't see how this could work. Vegetable oils turn rancid when exposed to air.
    :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I have asome garden furniture - table, chairs, loungers. It's certainly not pine, and it doesn't indent easily, so I believe it's hardwood.

The first year, I stained it with three coats, but over the winter blackish & greyish areas appeared.
    The second year I machine sanded it to remove the stain and varnished it with two coats, but that started to peel quickly in the sun.

Now this is the third year, and I'm going to machine sand the furniture again this weekend. So, what to use to protect it - stain (water or oil based) varnish, or even oil? Any advice?

Also, any advice for sanding chairs with lots of thin spindles on the back and seat? I was thinking of sandblasting, but it's messy and probably too aggressive.

Thanks in Advance,
    Nick

I don't understand why everyone wants to oil/varnish/stain their garden furniture. It's a pain to do, expensive and above all, it doesn't work (see above).
    Good hardwood furniture like teak, iroko and oak should be allowed to develop it own silver patina - it won't decay if left bare. Some coatings can actually accelerate decay by not allowing the wood to breathe.

You can treat softwood with a dedicated clear wood preservative - this prevents rot and is not a surface finish.

Re. cleaning the spindles - I use a power washer. Not too close though or you will raise the grain :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement