Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless not working

• 16-05-2011 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi, I hope someone can help me.

On Friday evening the wifi in my apartment stopped working randomly. I connected my laptop directly to the internet cable and it worked fine so I know the problem lies with the router which is separate. I have a Netgear WNR2000 router. I turned it off for a few minutes and unplugged everything and that got it back working on my MacBook Pro. :)

Unfortunately the other two laptops in the house are still not connecting to wifi properly. The OS's are Vista and Windows 7. It appears to be connected with excellent signal strength but still the symbol displays limited or no connectivity. :mad:

Iphone's appear to be connected with full signal but the internet doesn't work.

I did a factory reset on the router and I still have the same problem. Its working fine on the mac but not a sausage on the pc's or iphones.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Yikes, sounds strange alright. Have you tried a 30-30-30 reset?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 taisteal

rossc007 wrote: »
    Yikes, sounds strange alright. Have you tried a 30-30-30 reset?

I'll give that a go now. Didn't know what it was til I googled it there!

Thanks

No bother, just hope it works :D

No bother, just hope it works :D

No joy unfortunately. The diagnostics on Windows 7 came back with 'The DNS server may be unavailable' Not sure what that means.
    :(

hmmm, the plot thickens.

Can you forget that network? If not you could try changing the SSID on the router, although the factory reset may have done that already?

• Advertisement

hmmm, the plot thickens.

Can you forget that network? If not you could try changing the SSID on the router, although the factory reset may have done that already?

Yes I changed that yesterday and it made no difference at all. It's mad. If it wasn't working perfectly on the mac, I'd have given up long ago. :mad:

That would drive me mental, you could try updating the firmware on the router, but Im grasping at straws with that to be honest, could be worth a shot though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Any chance the laptops have fixed ips set on their wireless cards instead of automatically obtain ip from dhcp server?

ArtyM wrote: »
    Any chance the laptops have fixed ips set on their wireless cards instead of automatically obtain ip from dhcp server?

I just checked those settings and unfortunately it's not that either. I'm just ready to give up at this point. It's wrecking my head. At the moment on the windows 7 laptop, the connection is perfect. It doesn't even say the dreaded 'limited or no connectivity'. but it won't work! Google chrome pops up a message saying it couldn't find the address because the DNS look up failed. :confused:

I appreciate your suggestions anyway.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Thats a tough one Op.
    Of the possibilities, I cant think of anything that would affect multiple devices all of a sudden, particularly after a reset of the router.
    Some thoughts, if none of these apply then I am out of suggestions.
    If the original ssid was the default one then the ssid after reset would be the same so either manually setup a new ssid and passphrase on the router and/or delete the stored wireless networks in the laptops and try to reconnect as though it were a new network.
    Cant be mac address restriction - reset would have cleared that.
    Firewall can block http traffic, but how likely is that on 2 laptops.
    Proxy server on browser from malware - once again unlikely on multiple devices.
    Maybe manually set wireless channel to something other than auto.
    When the laptops are connected to the wifi what ip/gateway/dns settings are they getting assigned? - do 'ipconfig /all' from command prompt. Are these settings as they should be and can you ping the dns successfully? Can you manually set fixed ip and dns and does that work?

If none of the above is of any help I recommend a new router and a stiff drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

have you tried to connect the laptop to the router via cable?

Thanks for all the suggestions. After hours of trying everything, I gave in and bought a wireless modem from UPC.

I still think it was salvageable with more trial and error but I had to write it off for my sanity!

Thanks again :)

Advertisement