Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New rifle stock

Options
  • 16-05-2011 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Hello all
    I was having a look at stocks today. I have a remington 700 .223 with a light barrel. I think i would like to change the stock on it with a view to getting a bedding job done on it later in the year. I was looking at this site but there is no mention of light or heavy barrel. I would value your opinions. Will this one fit?
    http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ROSS-FT-REMINGTON-700-BDL-p/400-066-ft.htm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

BDL has a sporter barrel AFAIK, so I guess it'd fit if your rifle also has a sporter barrel.

Email Boyds to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

If your rifle is the bdl model that stock will fit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Remmie 223

johngalway wrote: »
    BDL has a sporter barrel AFAIK, so I guess it'd fit if your rifle also has a sporter barrel.

Email Boyds to make sure.

Thanks for the quick response John
    I did email them today & they sent back a couple of links to stocks, this being one of them, Some of them were short action and some of them were long action. I did specifically mention light barrel but the did not address this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Email back and ask again :D

johngalway wrote: »
    Email back and ask again :D
    May i ask why this thread was moved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

Probably because it has nothing to do with hunting and with it in the main shooting forum more people will see it so a greater chance of getting better answers to your question

ormondprop wrote: »
    Probably because it has nothing to do with hunting and with it in the main shooting forum more people will see it so a greater chance of getting better answers to your question
    NOTE TO SELF PAY BETTER ATTENTION TO THE TOP OF THE PAGE (sorry)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

Adl has a blindbox magazine and bdl has a floor plate, so you need a bdl short action with a factory barrel channel i think

"My rifle is a Remington 700 sps stainless bolt action centerfire rifle with a 24" Barrel. The outside diameter of the barrel at the muzzle 17mm.
    Are you sure all these stocks will fit as i see both long action & short action in your list. This model comes with a light and a heavy barrel mine being the light one"

This is the info i have given to boyds. Is there anything else i should have mentioned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Remmie 223 wrote: »
    "My rifle is a Remington 700 sps stainless bolt action centerfire rifle with a 24" Barrel. The outside diameter of the barrel at the muzzle 17mm.
    Are you sure all these stocks will fit as i see both long action & short action in your list. This model comes with a light and a heavy barrel mine being the light one"

This is the info i have given to boyds. Is there anything else i should have mentioned

You own a SHORT ACTION or SA as it sometimes listed as (so too is .243,.308,.22-250,7mm-08) (long Action LA being .270 .30-06 etc)

No Stock is Completely Drop in, but a a little in-letting gets you a snug fit.
    The Light Barrel version will have a smaller channel for the barrel.

I personally Inletted my Synthetic stock of my .223 with Inletting tool's

A labour of love :eek: and the odd Blister if you have soft hands!

Don't overlook an Edi Graef MADE in Ireland PSE Composites Stock that will be Designed to your Hand and Bedded while you wait!!

http://www.pse-composites.com/photos.html

worth a look at least!

I'm Biased, I love Green Stocks!

• Advertisement

I bought the varmint version of that stock recently for my heavy barrel remington and it went straight on without any fitting at all.
    Barrel is fully floated too.
    You should go ahead and get it.

zeissman wrote: »
    I bought the varmint version of that stock recently for my heavy barrel remington and it went straight on without any fitting at all.
    Barrel is fully floated too.
    You should go ahead and get it.
    Thanks zeissman
    Would the channel in the stock for the heavy barrel not be much wider? What sort of diameter is the heavy barrel? Mine is only 17mm at the muzzle, Any heavy barrels i have seem seem to be much more than that.:confused:

Thanks zeissman
    Would the channel in the stock for the heavy barrel not be much wider? What sort of diameter is the heavy barrel? Mine is only 17mm at the muzzle, Any heavy barrels i have seem seem to be much more than that.:confused:
    Yes it would. You dont need the varmint model, just get the standard one that you were looking at.

zeissman wrote: »
    Yes it would. You dont need the varmint model, just get the standard one that you were looking at.

Thanks zeissman, stock ordered today:D

I got my new stock from Boyds yesterday. I had a small bit of sanding to do, nothing to serious. Well happy with the stock :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I got my new stock from Boyds yesterday. I had a small bit of sanding to do, nothing to serious. Well happy with the stock :D

Now you can use Devcon as Laminate adheres well to it.
    You'll have a super job when you are finished ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Lovely looking stock! Do you have to reach for the trigger or is it just right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Looks like mine ;)

Well ware :)

dev110 wrote: »
    Lovely looking stock! Do you have to reach for the trigger or is it just right?
    No reach Dev, fits like a glove;)

No reach Dev, fits like a glove;)

Thats good news. With some thumbhole stocks you might have to reach abit more for the trigger. You will have to get some groups up.

• Advertisement

dev110 wrote: »
    Thats good news. With some thumbhole stocks you might have to reach abit more for the trigger. You will have to get some groups up.
    I will if this wind & rain ever p*sses off:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I will if this wind & rain ever p*sses off:(

Don't forget to put your rifle in picture or some people won't believe their your groups :rolleyes:

Don't forget to put your rifle in picture or some people won't believe their your groups :rolleyes:

And maybe a newspaper to verify the date and your licence to verify its your gun and sure while you are at it you might as well stick in a bank statement :D:D

Advertisement