Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[INVITATION] Any photographers fancy capturing an Adventure Weekend?

• 16-05-2011 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

Howdy

I have an invitation/request/opportunity for five photographers who'd like to get involved.

It's for The Adventure Weekend exhibition in the RDS this weekend, May 20/21/22.

What they'd like is to offer photographers a free weekend pass and a photographer's pass to capture the shots that they want to capture.

Considering there's zip lines, zorbs, water walkers, mountain bike trials, free running, extreme trampoline and so on, it should provide you with a great opportunity to capture some interesting shots for your portfolio.

In return the Adventure Weekend would like your permission to use your shots for next year's event.

All you have to do to be considered is to show us an "Adventure picture" that you have taken. Just add it below and the Adventure Weekend team will pick from there...

You will be credited and maintain copyright - in fact, if you have any questions about the terms or any suggestions on what they should be, please do put them below. For general feedback/discussion about this thread, please post here.

All photos should be added before Thursday afternoon, please and thanks. Here's The Adventure Weekend's Facebook Page.

[EDIT] IN ADDITION, The Adventure Weekend would like to invite photographers to attend the VIP preview on Friday. If you're going along can you send a quick RSVP saying you're in to loveus@blinkpr.ie so they know you're coming.

image001.jpg

Cheers

Darragh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

9ED25C074EE84BCCB13844D61F2609C8-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

68EFC99299E843CDBBB0B4F1FEF2CB86-0000334359-0002193517-00800L-2ACBA608E358493FA0E58BABEA97A81C.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Sounds interesting.
    7F897163D6854054ACACF998CD100D88-0000322009-0002252372-00800L-0CC8D1E01CD84BBBA29CFA5060306944.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 brianallen

this sounds interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Sounds fun :)

BCF28DE5B35243CFB7F3BF3EFE97F7F0-800.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Well its an adventure park, didn't have my DSLR so taken with a point and shoot, the RDS show sounds like it would be good craic...

4897970320_b2dfdd9dd0_z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Windy Corner, Denali - Alaska

FBA76545F419475782C42ADBE251ECF2-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Interested...

Coming down off the Alps...

p484035444-4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

(Just updated the main post there with an invitation to Friday's preview...)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bmcq

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

Paddy the bear goes free stylin...
    freestylin.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

If it's not too late...

(and it's not really an adventure photo...but this meal was an adventure!!)
    423A729BF26E4D83B5E0596D87E8F593-0000323254-0002328201-00640L-5AE43A8BE22147F7AD1C74FA7D3BE263.jpg

So i take it nobody won then :P

Might be a bit late now to make it to Fridays event...

Did anyone actually win?

I was there today on the press launch

One of the shots from today
    1282C90346C344CBB007CE3D9AC2E9CD-0000314346-0002329734-00800L-81CD5BF2ADA3481BB7C1CBAAAFA2B9C6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Well that was a bit of a fúckin gyp, TBH. I withdraw my photo.

Due to work there was no way I was going to make it on Friday. It's quite ridiculous that the terms showed Thursday as a closing date and the event is about to go into it's final day without so much as a word from the OP still. Poor show.

Folks, if you weren't contacted, I apologise. Not sure why not. Quite simply, if you can get to the RDS tomorrow, tell them you were sent by me and you'll get free admission.

Sorry about that. I don't know what happened there.

• Advertisement

Darragh wrote: »
    Folks, if you weren't contacted, I apologise. Not sure why not. Quite simply, if you can get to the RDS tomorrow, tell them you were sent by me and you'll get free admission.

Sorry about that. I don't know what happened there.
    So there was no winner then? That's very short notice

tbh, that's a bit crap Darragh

What was the point in this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

Tallon wrote: »
    What was the point in this thread?

as the initial complaints mentioned, if you apply for/do/work for a jo that doesn't pay, you can expect to get treated like crap, ignored and taken advantage of.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I don't know what has gone wrong, but I am fairly sure that Darragh will explain when he can.

This will have been an offer made in good faith and may have been of interest to some here. There are people who are happy to exchange a few photo's for something that they want. If this is not you then don't get involved. It's ok to draw attention to something where there could be unfair conditions or disadvantage, but make your point politely. Please try not to have a negative attitude to those who choose to be involved or are organising the event.

DotOrg wrote: »
    as the initial complaints mentioned, if you apply for/do/work for a jo that doesn't pay, you can expect to get treated like crap, ignored and taken advantage of.

I didn't so much apply for a job as see it as something interesting to do. The types of activities showcased at this event are both the types I love most, and the types I rarely get to be involved with in a photographic sense. I had intended on going today anyway, so I figured entering for a free pass with less restriction would be both advantageous and interesting. If I'd gotten one, happy days and I'd have been there dawn 'til dusk. If not, no loss and off I'd trot to get a ticket as a paying customer. It's the lack of communication until well beyond a reasonable time that grates me. Live and learn, I guess.
    Friday, I was working so the press day offer wasn't an option. Tomorrow I'll be covering a football match pretty much all day, so the option of turning up on Sunday at the RDS isn't much use either.
    It just seems a waste, regardless of whether I was in the running to be a "winner" or not.

Here the way i seen it,

It would have been a great opportunity (had i been selected for a pass of course) and would have been my first time working in that kind of environment. I'm sure the experience gained would have helped no end for a novice like me. Also I'd have done my damnedest to take the best photos when there to Impress them, and then hopefully been asked to the organiser's future expo's as a paid photographer. If not it have at least gotten some contacts, and invaluable experience.

Sure the guys who do this for a living / get paid occasionally for photography will frown upon this idea but they all had to start somewhere too, and get their foot in the door somehow!

Anyways its a disappointment that it was kind of ignored in the end up, i was going to come from Donegal to this (not just for this had other things, they have been put on the back burner for another while too) and to say just turn up at the Door and say Darragh sent you is a bit of a Gamble to come so far and not get the press pass!

No offense to all the moaners I believe they could have had something to do with that by generating all the negativity, at the start there was double the amount of posts with people moaning than there was entries, and if the company seen that I'm sure they wouldn't have be overly keen on the idea then!

NakedDex wrote: »
    It's the lack of communication until well beyond a reasonable time that grates me.

You've just summed up my feelings on it as well. There was a lack of communication from the organisers to me and from me to you - being totally honest I forgot all about it until I saw this thread again yesterday. I had assumed that the organisers would pick and contact the winners themselves - OR pick them and contact me to contact you. Either way it didn't work.

For that I apologise.

However, go, enjoy the day and I hope you get good shots. Do mention you're a Boards.ie photographer*.

Darragh

(* You know I mean photographer who posts on the boards.ie photography forum, not that we own you etc etc)

to say just turn up at the Door and say Darragh sent you is a bit of a Gamble to come so far and not get the press pass!

I'm putting a call into them to make sure this goes off without hassle. To say I'm embarrassed about this is just a bit of an understatement :mad::(

EDIT: 10:30am, Sunday: just off the phone to the RDS - if you go to the ticket office on arrival and say you're with the Boards.ie photography forum, you'll get admission.

Sorry again about this. Morto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

I'd have done my damnedest to take the best photos when there to Impress them, and then hopefully been asked to the organiser's future expo's as a paid photographer

this is the very point that people like myself are making. Organisers of events such as this, are now in a position where they will NEVER have to pay a photographer because so many people who would like to be professionals will give away quality pictures for free in the hope of one day getting a paid job from them.

Now, I've nothing against people or the organisers for letting people take photos for sheer pleasure in taking photos.But if people believe in any way that it is a stepping stone to getting paid work at some point in the future, that is where the problem lies in all of this

Advertisement