Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why (not) connect a network hard drive directly to a router?

• 16-05-2011 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I have a PC upstairs and a laptop downstairs. I do a lot of digital photography as well as a good deal of web searching and file downloads.

While I already backup photos and important files onto my JBOD arrangement (a few USB portables) I now want to do a routine scheduled backup from both laptop and PC.

I'm considering the Iomega 2TB network hard drive, but I'm unsure as to the best way(s) to use it.

Why is a network hard drive plugged directly into the router? Is this an option or a requirement?

At the moment my router is in an awkward spot (under the kids toy cupboard, next to the UPC cable/broadband box) so I'm disinclined to site a network hard drive there.

Can I just site it elsewhere and network it using NetGear Powerline adapters, for example? Would not connecting the network hard drive directly to the router limit its capabilities in any way?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

You wont get the same speed over the powerline adaptors, but other then that there is no real reason why you couldnt put it elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Thanks.

One of the claims made for the Iomega is that you can access the files on it from anywhere in the world. I presume that would still be possible without the network drive connected directly to the router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,328 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Thanks.

One of the claims made for the Iomega is that you can access the files on it from anywhere in the world. I presume that would still be possible without the network drive connected directly to the router?
    Yes, either through knowing the direct IP to the HDD or by using Iomega's DNS service which I bet you need to pay a subscription for. The same way I can remotely access my laptop from around the world with logmein, I just have to make sure its on. I can only WakeOnLAN something if it has a direct ethernet connection. a Powerline ethernet link would be the same thing.

Assuming your Iomega is always on or otherwise in standby mode though it should connect just fine though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    One of the claims made for the Iomega is that you can access the files on it from anywhere in the world.
    And so could anyone else is they have your logon details
    or there is a vulnerability

so don't leave important documents on it , unless they are encypted with something and I don't mean the weak security of things like password you can put on office documents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Basically any machine is available world wide if the firewall allows it and you know the IP address.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

fionny wrote: »
    Basically any machine is available world wide if the firewall allows it and you know the IP address.
    difference is that routers may not have the same security options that computers have and it tends to be all or nothing access

if you were sharing files from a pc you could choose how to share them,, you aren't limited to a simple file share, encrypted folders (encfs etc.) and vpns are good too

Advertisement