Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Movie Makers Corner

• 16-05-2011 10:45pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Following on from Doctor Doom's suggestion in the "What Would YOU Like To See" Thread.
    I would like to hear more on why recorders do what they do, and what they do with it.

This could very well lead to a more informative or, at least, personal look into the how & why behind everyone's movie making. We all do it in different ways and for different reasons so maybe having this sort of thread can be a bit of fun and/or informative.

=====

NOTE: I couldn't think of a way to start this without going into some kind of essay regarding my own answer... I don't think a TLDR style answer is really helpful or interesting so I went from the ground up. Ironically I hate talking about myself but anyways, here goes.

=====

First of all, howdy - I'm RopeDrink. Some weirdo's in that fun place they call 'reality' call me Andrew and I'm an avid Gaming / YouTube movie making fanatic with 784 Available YouTube Movies (At least 50 deleted) and several non-YouTube videos and movies based elsewhere, such as Warcraft Movies, Google Video (Soon being closed down) and one Flash Animation on Newgrounds.

That sort of figure scares me... People kept reminding me per hundred in the comments on popular movies, such as "Oh, wow, you're nearly at 100 movies..." years later is pushed onto "Nearly 800!".

All it took was a blend of FRAPS, Adobe Premiere, Photoshop, SwIsH (Flash), CamStudio, WordPad, WoW Model Viewer, CoolPro Audio / Audacity, EJAY, FruityLoops, Emulators and a whole lot of patience over the years to spew out that number.

But how I made them isn't in question, it's why?

It all 'officially' started in October 2006 where I first started using FRAPS but, personally, it really started back when I was a toddler, constantly spending time drawing and making page-flipping animations in school handbooks - In short, I love spending my time creatively. Drawing turned to writing, writing turned to C:Basic Programming using trial and error from the C64 Manual (How to Make a Breakout Game - Section) and that spurned me on into a severely hardcore gamer from an early age.

Therein lies the problem - I spend an unhealthy amount of time on my Computer, have been since I was seven years old where I was spending any free moment possible playing games on the C64 / ZX Spectrum, sometimes splicing that time with my own attempts at creating text adventures, sound/art based code or reading the C:Basic Manual trying to learn it at a tender age.

It went from me wanting to 'create' as a main interest (Anim, Art, Sound/Music, Games) to me converting to a hardcore gamer and feeling guilty... But then with FRAPS I was not only allowed to enjoy countless hours of gaming, but use that program as a means to 'at least make something out of it' to balance the otherwise wasted time.

In my mind, sure, I spent a whole day playing X game... But having done so, I was in a position to cut/edit and compress that footage into something that someone out there in the big bad world may actually enjoy seeing - It was worth it!

The timing was perfect! Gaming wasn't just a nerd-niche anymore - Heck, it wasn't uncommon to even have dedicated female gamers, something that was deemed non-existant not that many years ago! Everyone was getting into it and, well, what a game to platform from... World of Warcraft with over 8million players at the time... That and FRAPS ended up giving me a platform towards a 2k Subscribed to YouTube channel that doesn't do ANYTHING other than just simply show what I am currently playing, beit regular unedited gameplay footage to full blown WCM Movie Productions with my own self-made music and my own Machinima clips.

So, not only was I enjoying the games for entertainment value (gaming itself) but I was also relishing in the added layer of enjoyment you get through the simple fact that having certain programs allowed you to be creative with that same game-time.

Even now I'm still uploading SF4, WoW, RE4, Dead Space, NecroVision, Emulated (PSX/NES/Amiga/C64/Spectrum128k) (Basically ANYTHING I play) game footage up to the channel for people to lap up in the comedy, the gameplay, the seriousness, nostalgia - Whatever reason they choose to watch said movies for.

The only difference in the tale comes with my NewGrounds flash - Making a Flash Animation was a dream & goal I chased persistantly despite having no experience.

After I saw Proxicides SF vs MK flash on NewGrounds and being absolutely disgustingly blown away by it, my mind was set, I wanted to make a Sprite Fight! What was the inspiration? Said movie and, well, like everything else, gaming!

I got to work on a Guile v Gallon / J.Talbain movie (SF vs Darkstalkers) but inexperience got me frustreated, eventually quitting after two attempts. Macromedia wasn't cutting it and I eventually went back to SwIsH, a program Doodee (Old School Boardies) recommended to me donkeys years ago. With that in mind I hunted down resources from every single place I could get them from, all based on my favourite PSX Game, CastleVania: Symphony of the Night.

I wasn't going to make it for other people, I was going to make it for myself. I didn't care if anyone liked it or watched it, I just wanted to say, look, I've made movies... Now I've stopped and made a Flash Animation!

Once I got going I couldn't stop - After 1 month of non-stop work I churned out my own Animation on the 21/12/2008 with pride, moreso now that it seems to have been very well recieved over the years! My dream came true with persistance alone and the thrill of completing it was enough to keep a smile on my face for half a year. Ironically, that joy has not and will not be met again as I stone-cold quit Flash from that exact moment of release.

As of now I still strive to improve my movie making but, ultimately, I am content with where I am now and the niche I've cut out for myself where I (foolishly) try to justify my game time with the fact that I love bending it towards a creative level rather than a purely entertainment seeking level.

If you'd like to see any of my self-taught / mediocre work, feel free to check the links.

RopeDrink's Irish Gaming Tube,
    Castlevania SOTN vs RoR Flash Animation,
    RopeDrink's NewGrounds Music / Audio Submissions.

Does that answer the question? :p

So, rant is over - How about you folks? Obviously you don't have to go as in-depth but the question still stands - "Why do you record/make movies and what do you do with them?"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Considering all the content you post, has there ever been a possibility of becoming a partner / getting something back from the advertising posted around your video?

🤪

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'm hoping to post "my story" tonight, or maybe later this week.

Advertisement