Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Glasgow

Options
  • 17-05-2011 7:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hey guys,

Just wondering if there are any other Irish people in Glasgow not obsessed with Celtic?! Seems that every Irish event in the city is dominated by football fans!! Would like to hang out with Irish folk but not too keen on the football scene. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

Have you tried the pub Failte or Molly Malones in the City Centre??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 solus22

Yeah Failte is good but sometimes the Celtic obsession just annoys me!! Any GAA teams about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

Well im a die hard Celtic fan you dont know what your missing out on there though.. well the other Irish pubs in the town Molly Malones & O Neills wont allow Celtic colours in them but i find them a little fake & plastic for my liking..its just a fact in Glasgow that Celtic is a massive thing that binds the Irish community there & has done for more than 120 years.. but each to there own!! ... there is a GAA club in Glasgow this is there site .. http://www.tirconaill.org/...

True...the community is really tight and I do like the positive reaction I get when I tell Celtic fans where in Ireland I'm from. Just finding it hard to really get into the football thing because I'm not really into it at all,would rather play and watch GAA (again personal preference in sport!!). Thanks for the website there,will check them out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Curlz

Have you just recently moved over? I moved from Ireland last September and have settled in well but do miss the craic! :)

• Advertisement

Yeah I moved over in September too, have loads of friends but would love to get to know more Irish people in the city!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 DMc2333

Im moving over to Glasgow at the start of January to do a masters in Glasgow Caledonian. I've heard there's a few GAA teams over there so that would be good for meeting an Irish crowd I presume.

Anyone have any ideas where would be best to live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 elle102

Hey,

What masters are you studying? I am waiting to hear back on the pre-admission module for the OT masters. Have you found out any more on where to live near caly? There are two of us heading over January also.

Hey I'm doing the masters in physio starting on the 16th.

I was talking to a lad I know from Glasgow recently and he said the west side is a very nice part of the city and has good bars and stuff but maybe a bit more expensive and further away from the college, but you can get a subway to the college.

He said East side has reputation for being a bit rougher.

City centre would obviously be ideal for Caledonian and he said clydeside and argyle street have nice apartments. If that's any help.

I'm heading over for the weekend on the 9th December to have a look around the city and maybe arrange an apartment or house for January because don't wanna go on campus.

If you get into the course let me know if ye'd be interested in getting a place because another lad who replied might be interested too.

Best of luck with the application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 elle102

Hey,

Yeah will keep you posted!!
    Did you not have to do a pre-admission module for the physio masters? We are heading over the first weekend December to check out apartments and the city! From what I've seen there are alot of two bedroom apartments compared with 3/4/6.

Thanks for the info on where to live :) So city would be as expensive as the west end, that was our main concern finding somewhere good value!

• Advertisement

No I didn't have to do a pre-admission module, maybe my degree covered all the stuff they wanted I dunno.

Goodstuff, let me know how that goes if you can because I'll be going over the following weekend and would be good to have a heads up.

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Pipee

Hi there,

I've been in Glasgow now since the start of October. As for places to live I would suggest living in the West End or the city centre, I'd imagine the East side is probably grand too as long as you don't go very far into it. It does have a rough name and the streets do look a bit rougher whenever I was over that direction.

As ye may already know Caledonian is very near to the city centre, if ye did decide to live in the West End then bus or subway is the answer to how ye get over and back. If you are using the subway every day it will cost you £2 to £2.40 per day depending on which ticket you buy. Takes about 6-10 minutes from the West End to the city centre.

I've heard the city centre is cheaper to live in but haven't seen for myself. Cost of living is so much cheaper here than Cork anyway its hard to notice. Its very possible to find nice places to live in both areas and both have a good night life. I've been to pubs in both areas and there seems like there is something for everyone. I've been meaning to go do something with the GAA teams myself but haven't gotten around to it. Going to try out some rugby league this weekend. I haven't met that many people from the republic here at all, plenty from the north though.

Sure if ye want any advice or anything give me a pm or something, I'm not on boards much but I give a look at these threads every so often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

hey,

I've been living in glasgow for over a year now. If you have any questions I can try help. Also, maybe we could organise some Glasgow beers in the new year?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Pipee

I'd be well up for a few beers in 2012.

Advertisement