Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland

Options
  • 17-05-2011 7:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭

seeing as there was no thread for this. ill start one if its in the wrong place mods feel free to move it.
    http://www.rushinhousecaravanpark.com/

lovely site, built in the last couple of years, it has a gorgeous view of the lake from most of the pitches. pitches have water and electricity and most of all there no a tiny pitch where ya don't have to worry about ruining the grass. not 100% on this but if your staying at the site and you go to the local restaurant for a meal there's a free taxi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Cant speak highly enough about this site......stayed there 2 years ago....had a mechanical breakdown while on site and the owners could not do enough for us....highly recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

Totally agree. Fabulous campsite. Spotlessly clean. 25 euro for the night includes shower and electricity. A 5 star campsite and it deserves all 5 of them.

Kevin www.iwmotorhomes.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

We stayed in Mullynascarthy Caravan Park in Lisnaskea at the weekend. Map. Have to say, it was a different class of park compared to the south. Fair enough, it was a bit old and dated, but it was spotlesslty clean, and although old, the showers were brilliant.

The owner was a nice lady, and it was only €20 for one night, including everything. Now, they didn't have a campers sink, but that doesn't really matter in a campervan. Showers were also included, so no poxy coin in the meter for a few poxy minutes. They also have a playground for the kids and all pitches are hardstands. Would recommend them and will be staying there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mrgriswold

Was up in ballyness campsite in bushmills over the weekend. a great site idealy located for exploring the north/north east coast. only minutes away from giants causeway, carrick a rede rope bridge, portrush to name a few places. park is spotless with small lake and playground. well worth the 25euro cost for everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭SARZY

Never had the confidence in a flimsy camper van to venture North.

Always felt bricks and mortar was safer in that place.

Bad experiences with racism make me unlikely to take a camper into NI.

Can anybody say with certainty that its changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dorts

Hi there I live in Derry/londonderry,you really should give the north a chance again.This is a great place to visit,great history both modern and old,a nice wee campsite at elagh vale,the walls,the new peace bridge,great pubs and craic and the friendliest people you will get anywhere.Come on give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

SARZY wrote: »
    Never had the confidence in a flimsy camper van to venture North.

Always felt bricks and mortar was safer in that place.

Bad experiences with racism make me unlikely to take a camper into NI.

Can anybody say with certainty that its changed.

have to say i have traveled all over northern ireland and never once have i been discriminated against
    some of the best sites in ireland
    http://discovernorthernireland.com/camping/
    i recommend this trip for you
    great coastline
    derry
    portrush/portstewart
    bushmills
    ballycastle
    carrickfergus
    bangor
    ards peninsula
    portaferry(ferry across strangford lough)
    try it
    you wont regret it

meercat wrote: »
    have to say i have traveled all over northern ireland and never once have i been discriminated against
    some of the best sites in ireland
    http://discovernorthernireland.com/camping/
    i recommend this trip for you
    great coastline
    derry
    portrush/portstewart
    bushmills
    ballycastle
    carrickfergus
    bangor
    ards peninsula
    portaferry(ferry across strangford lough)
    try it
    you wont regret it

I have been in some of those places and they are indeed worth a visit.

My only problem is this, and this is my experience, to tell people that NI is a great place to visit without giving them a guide to where they can go safely, is highly irresponsible.
    I have been abused in a Public bar in Portrush and for no other reason than my accent and in Belfast for the same reason.
    I have been made to feel very unwelcome, while paying a large fee, in very well known golf clubs.
    Thats my experience, and while I accept a lot Has changed in recent years,
    I would never tell a person visiting NI that its like going to England or Wales, because its not.
    I dont want to stir anything up here and I dont want to upset anybody but my reality is what I have set out above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

SARZY wrote: »

My only problem is this, and this is my experience, to tell people that NI is a great place to visit without giving them a guide to where they can go safely, is highly irresponsible.

like all places i have been to including france and here in the republic if i dont feel comfortable with the area i just move on
    it would be "highly irresponsible"to recommend someone to visit an area where they might not receive a warm welcome but i have never encountered such problems

(sarzy i hope you dont take this as a dig at you because this is not the intention)

meercat wrote: »

(sarzy i hope you dont take this as a dig at you because this is not the intention)

No problem at all. I take your point.

I suppose I was a bit taken aback at calling to a public bar in a major seaside resort and being subjected to abuse.

I know that can happen in a bar anywhere, but I personally have no interest in just visiting Sights and Campsites.

I want to mix with the locals and experience local life near to the Campsite.

I have been assured by a friend who knows the locality, that had I said I intended to visit that particular bar for a drink, he would have advised me not to.

Thats the bit I find off putting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KrustyBurger

Just back from a trip to Castlewellen forest park. Lovely spot with a castle (obv.) a large lake where you can hire canoes etc. The village is a short stroll from the forest park. Newcastle is a short drive away and every Tue from 6-8 the outdoor (heated!) pool has a disco for the young kids in the pool. The people were really friendly and the value for money outstanding. We'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

we are going to an event here this coming week just wondering has any body used the complex for a over night recently,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

i didnt stay here in the end but just to report their were 5 or 6 of vans that did i spoke to two and they said while their is a no overnight sign they had no problems staying their
    mod it, maybe move to the the NI thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

As mentioned above,
    rushin house caravan park
    Great site and owners can not do enough to help.
    Probably the best in Ireland imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 digbychicken

We stayed at Rushin House when we had the tent and I have to say I didn't find them very nice :-( We were the only people with tents there at the time as the weather was very poor the same week. We asked them could we pitch our tent on the extensive green area near the utilities block and we were told no problem by the daughter, then when we were about halfway through putting up the tent she came back and said actually you can't pitch up there, you have to go down to the lakeside! The weather had been so bad the lakeside was sodden and it was very hard to find a dry spot (which ended up being some distance from our car) and it is some hike from there up to the toilets!!! It is a beautiful spot though, and now that we have the MH we will probably visit again but its a real bug bear of mine that on a number of sites those under canvas are put the furthest away from the utilities block! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Can anyone recommend campsites (apart from Ballyness) in the North Antrim area in particular?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

bump!

Advertisement