Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salary ranges in IT

Options
  • 17-05-2011 8:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭

OK just throwing this one out there. What do you think the salary ranges in I.T. are? It is a big area so let's just say stick to .net and Java development.

Here's what I'd say (roughly)

Grad = 30K
    Under 5 years experience = < 45K
    Between 5 and 10 years experience = 45K <--> 65K
    Over ten years experience = 60 <--> 80K
    Project Manager = 60 <--> 85K
    Team Lead = 40 <--> 70K

If you're a CTO, or a Chief Architect = 75K --> 125K.

Obviously it depends on how good you are and how good your experience is but they would be my guestimates.

How about yours?

what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Grad is way off anyway. Final year student atm and salaries in the range of 24-27ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

U hiring by any chance? I'll drop over a CV if they are the wages!!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭fred252

looks pretty accurate.

i'm in the sap consulting world which is a bit in demand at the moment so you could probably push those ranges out a few grand. although i agree with the previous poster regarding the grad figure, ~ 25 K as far as i'm aware. also the bands change a lot depending on whether you're in support, development or consulting.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd say you're probably off by around 10-15%. I would have said you were on the ball 4 years ago.

Though apparently devs are in short supply at the moment, so you could well be right for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

30k for grad :eek:

If you had a masters then maybe but I'm just out of college and I'm earning 23k

Happy to have a job doing what I like and studying to move up the ladder so can't complain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

project manager would be more like 45k to 70k from my experience. obviously there are exceptions where it can be higher.

anyone else want to shed some light on other positions

business analyst
    systems analyst
    Product manager
    Software Tester
    Solutions Architect
    Enterprise Architect

• Registered Users Posts: 33 frezzabelle

For the grad position some I would say 26, mybe with a 1st and good final year project 28. That's my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

jon1981 wrote: »
    Solutions Architect
    Enterprise Architect
    It really depends on your experience. Solutions Architect can mean you are just team leading doing some B spoke work or it could mean some crazy technical problems that require a lot of technical skills.

Most products put an architecture in at the beginning and then basically stick to it for the next 5 - 10 years only making minor architectural changes. But if you have SA or EA in your title, I'd say range would 50 <--> 100K. It depends on experience, company, ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I don't think you can put together a reliable mapping from titles to wages to be honest. Different companies use different buzzwords for different roles. You can be a programmer in one, a software engineer in another, a senior developer in a third, and a technical lead in a fourth, all doing the same job with the same experience. And even where there's some standard terminology, pay rates fluctuate a lot even within the same company, depending on your negotiation skills when being hired.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Sparks wrote: »
    I don't think you can put together a reliable mapping from titles to wages to be honest. Different companies use different buzzwords for different roles.
    Hell, I've got 4 or 5 different ones depending on who I'm talking to. Unfortunately I get paid the same for all of them.

• Advertisement

Four or five different bosses and to-do lists and priorities as well? :D
    I feel that pain...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Sparks wrote: »
    Four or five different bosses and to-do lists and priorities as well? :D
    I feel that pain...

Yah. See, we've got these new cover sheets...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

im a plus 10 years guy and im below the boundry specified above, so that's either out or im under paid (which is more than likely)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I'd love if this discussion turns out well, interesting to hear some real figures.

In the interests of coming clean here's me:

Graduated 2005
    Working in Limerick.
    First 2.5 yrs - C/C++ in embedded systems, VB, PHP
    Last 3.5 years - J2EE, Adobe Flex
    Salary - 44K with paid overtime on some projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Grads @ 25k.

After that it's up to you and being prepared to work and move.

Don't forget contracting - it's the exception you haven tried and caught!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I know a masters grad who's working ~E26,000 basic wage but up to ~E30,000 if deadlines are reached.

I can't really comment on my own as I'm currently working for a start-up and don't have a degree, but it's obviously less than I'd like :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

seamus wrote: »
    Though apparently devs are in short supply at the moment, so you could well be right for that.

Devs in C# 3.0 & 4.0 are definitely in short supply.

I have 6 years experience in .Net dev, mainly C#. Went for an interview for a senior role the other week and was offered what I asked for. Turned down the job as it wasn't what I was looking for when I interviewed and got another increased offer.

My requested salary fell into the OP's brackets. I think he is spot on with the exception of the graduate salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 frezzabelle

I think the grad salary really depends on the role and company. I'm i finished up college in June, the job 3 software engineer positions I got were 28k, the service management position was 26k. My colleague got offered 28k for a development position, and another 31k for a graduate IT consulting position. So I would say 26-28k would be a good estimate for a graduate, but I suppose it depends on the position and abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

me thinks it also depends where in the country you are working. You get paid way more in Dublin than you do elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Scruff wrote: »
    me thinks it also depends where in the country you are working. You get paid way more in Dublin than you do elsewhere.
    +1. Though I was expecting more when I came to Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

As far as graduate pay goes, I'm just finishing up my final year exams and have a job sorted at 30k with a nice few benefits tacked on. The lowest I've been offered is 26k. Going rate seems to be between 26-31k.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

~30k for graduates would be my experience, with the expectation of a meaty review after 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

In response to all the grad estimates, I finished my final year of a computer science degree a week ago and with everyone comparing the salaries of jobs they got, the range within my class is €24k to €32k so it's quite a big range. The upper ranges being populated with big companies such as SAP and Deloitte, with Microsoft and Google being slightly above the range I gave although no one in my class managed to snag a position in either of these companies. Then the lower ranges being primarily occupied by new start ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

Unfortunately you are stuck with recruiting agency language.

"Programmer/Developer", one of the hardest things to do, is normally not paid well.

Unfortunately Programmer/Developer is always thought of as "newbie Programmer/Developer" rather than full craft master.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Anyone know the salary range in consultancy (for example the likes of deloitte) for senior consultant is?

Consultants seem to get paid more than developers. This is because they are expected to be more flexible.

Consultants seem to get paid more than developers. This is because they are expected to be more flexible.
    And because you don't pay their PRSI, medical insurance, bonuses, or any of the ongoing costs that you have to pay for an employee. You just buy them in to do a job and they take care of all that for themselves so it's not your problem. Hence the higher pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

Finishing up a masters myself at the moment. Range seems to be 30-40k. Although I know a guy who got offered 50k in my class with Bloomberg.

Finishing up a masters myself at the moment. Range seems to be 30-40k. Although I know a guy who got offered 50k in my class with Bloomberg.
    Even with a masters, are companies really offering 30 - 40k? Seems quite high!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Even with a masters, are companies really offering 30 - 40k? Seems quite high!

I would definitely believe that, unlike just about every other job market at the moment, the IT industry is in a boom at the moment, with most companies having great difficulty filling positions. I could easily see the masters bagging you an extra couple of k over what new grads like myself are being offered.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's booming but employers still seem reluctant to offer good salaries. Least in my experience.

Advertisement