Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salary ranges in IT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

well it does vairy. for a grad with 0-6 months experience, I would be amazed if they much over 25k. I have not been looking at jobs for 6-7 months so i could be a bit off, but it couldnt have changed that much in 6 months. Im aware some jobs are going to pay better than others. but for a .net/SQL developer 23-28k would be the range, 28k for maybe having a 1.1, masters or over a years experience. also location is a big thing. I dont work in dublin, that is worth around 4k a year to me on rent/transport

I've signed a contract for 30k, a graduate developer role outside of Dublin. I don't have spectacular results and the only experience I have is from my 6 months work placement. And thats not the top of the payscale in comparison to the rest of my class either. The lowest anyone in my class has been offered is 24/25 to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Placebo wrote: »
    i guess it would depend on quality of my work, just looking for general ball park figure

Impossible to say without a detailed evaluation of your skills. Although anyone who's savvy enough would generally be wary of the fact that you label yourself and designer and developer. Then again, most employers are clueless and would probably see it as an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

maybe 5 years ago, defo not now! 25k topps for a grad.

As other posters have said, your upper bound on grad salary is too low.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Impossible to say without a detailed evaluation of your skills. Although anyone who's savvy enough would generally be wary of the fact that you label yourself and designer and developer. Then again, most employers are clueless and would probably see it as an advantage.
    In general I'd agree, but with a Bsc. in Comp. Sci/Soft. Eng and an Msc. in Multimedia/Graphic Design it's probably a pretty fair label.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

stevenmu wrote: »
    In general I'd agree, but with a Bsc. in Comp. Sci/Soft. Eng and an Msc. in Multimedia/Graphic Design it's probably a pretty fair label.

Well the quality of your work and technical skill set would dictate that. I have both a technical and a creative qualification yet I would never call myself a designer because, quite frankly, I can't design for crap.

If you're a strong designer and developer, i.e. at a professional level in both disciplines, then you're probably the only one in the country. PM me if you're looking for a job, Placebo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

In my my first year in test. Went in on a grad position, and I'm most definitely being paid above the industry average. Greater than €28k. I'll say no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Anybody know of Junior networking jobs available or how somebody can get experience in networking?

Working in Deskside Support atm but hoping to have a number of MSCE certs and CCNA within the next year or so.

I know once I have the CCNA it'll be easier to find a job in networking but for the time being I feel like I need to be working with switches etc. on a daily basis as it's the best way to learn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Ronan_

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

Ronan_ wrote: »

Are these mostly software/development type jobs? I'm not seeing that many jobs in the hardware/tech support end of things these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

im interested in this thread and would like to post my salary in the name of getting more data about salary ranges, but I have colleagues as boards friends, so it wouldnt be too wise.

So.. Is it possible to do an anonymous poll on salary ranges against years experience (also maybe area (dev/support/qa etc)) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Ronan_ wrote: »

IMO:Their is a bit of truth to the shortages but a lot of it is kite flying to lobby politicans to make it easier to bring staff in from outside the EU on Visas.

It doesn't really matter what they do to the visa process if we are a high income tax country, you can't save it if you never had it in your hand....

Salaries will have to perceptibly increase if they want smarter people to put computer science as no.1 on their CAO form.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Why put down compsci as #1? Maths/science can lead to a better variety of careers doing the same thing (software engineering). Also, choosing an Irish college course based on the Irish jobs market is very short-sighted. You could end up working anywhere in the world.

Irish salaries are always gonna suck, seeing as how London is a short hop away.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭but43r

maybe 5 years ago, defo now now! 25k topps for a grad.

Im 6 months in my first job, have a 2.1 degree and a masters. spent 9 months looking for a job (was with a few bad recruitment companies), In that time i didnt see one graduate job offering more than 25k. Having the masters didnt really matter! im now working in a large financial with two people from my undergraduate class!

yea, that is true. Has to be though as the cost of living is higher.

I wouldn't even look at a job that would pay less than 25k a year. Especially in Dublin. I have just finished my degree and it took me 3 weeks to receive 3 job offers (one very good one which I accepted) and I still have e-mails coming from companies that I applied for jobs in.

I wouldn't rely on recruitment companies to get you a job. A lot of employers don't bother with recruitment companies and advertise for jobs themselves (be it their own website or jobs website)...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

a lot of people here are discussing grad level posts.

Salaries in IT range from feck-all to maybe 150-200k in the Irish market. That would be C-level either CIO or CTO. Any more than that and you'll be a "Fellow" for one of the multis like IBM/Google or what have you and be on a plane 80% of the time.

In the Irish market you won't get more unless you have skin in the game - i.e. you're a partner.

Anything between that is how good you are at the interview. There' s no real point doing comparatives cos its all in how much you can get out of your own boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I made transition from senior architect -> quant developer. More pay, less stress. Does that still count as IT? I still write code all day :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

this is the way i think it is for java/.net developer, based on own experiences and of other:

this is also dependent on ability.

grad 22- 28 (depending on results and performance in tech test)
    1 years exp 26-30k
    2 years exp 30-33k
    3 years exp 33-38k
    4 years exp 38-44k
    5 years exp 44-60 k
    6-8 years 55-70k
    8+ years.. moving into proj management/architect roles 60-100k

we all know experience isnt everything, but unfortunately it dictates how much ppl get paid in this industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

neil_hosey wrote: »
    this is the way i think it is for java/.net developer, based on own experiences and of other:

1 years exp 26-30k
    2 years exp 30-33k
    3 years exp 33-38k
    4 years exp 38-44k
    5 years exp 44-60 k
    6-8 years 55-70k

we all know experience isnt everything, but unfortunately it dictates how much ppl get paid in this industry.
    Yeah it's a bit unfortunate how they quantify your experience based on how many years you've worked. Someone with 3 years experience could easily be better than someone with 10 years experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Someone with 3 years experience could easily be better than someone with 10 years experience

especially if the person with 10 years experience really has one years experience repeated 10 time!

on the flip side i think its hilarious some of the graduates posting on here turning there nose up at jobs that pay under 25K... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

on the flip side i think its hilarious some of the graduates posting on here turning there nose up at jobs that pay under 25K... :rolleyes:

Why? Its definitely below the average offered to graduates from my class at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

Have to agree with Jayo_M there, the average in my class was about 27k, with the lowest I know of being 24k, the person who was on that has since gotten a new job and been offered 28k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Yes, would jump in there and agree with the starting salaries. I know the company I work for pays grads €25 + bonuses/shares/extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

Always ignore bonus and shares when doing salary or annual reviews
    . Cold hard experience with 19 years in the business.

The only genuine benefits are salary and days leave + maybe VHI for the family ( NOT JUST FOR YOURSELF, this can be worth a lot of money later on ) All these things are up for negotiations. Never ever leave it till the first review period to determine a salary.

omahaid wrote: »
    Yes, would jump in there and agree with the starting salaries. I know the company I work for pays grads €25 + bonuses/shares/extras.

Basic salary in the last 3 companies ive worked in for grads were around 25K. They were all really good companies, and the experience you would gain working there earning slightly lower will benefit you in the longrun. Alternatively you could go to sun/IBM, somewhere like that, start on 30K and be stuck doing the same crap for 10 years testing/support/networking..

when i graduated 4 years ago in the good times, most people who done DEVELOPMENT, earned around 26, I got 28 with a first.. there were of course lots of lads that went straight for the money and done support/testing but it didnt help them in the longrun.

I suppose i should have elaborated a bit more in my previous post, if you want to work in development, dont worry about money (within reason) for the first year as you are still without any experience. get into a good company.

my opinion over the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 balcony swimmer

any one know what the going rate in galway is for someone with 3 years .net dev experience and 4 years .net experience ?

my friend and I are thinking of maybe heading that direction in near future

Anyone have any idea ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 tauruz_ie

My buddy just stepped into a graduate role for 34K as a TSE...and I've been offered work there when I finish college and should be at a higher rate the fact that he's taking my current job:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Basic salary in the last 3 companies ive worked in for grads were around 25K. They were all really good companies, and the experience you would gain working there earning slightly lower will benefit you in the longrun. Alternatively you could go to sun/IBM, somewhere like that, start on 30K and be stuck doing the same crap for 10 years testing/support/networking..

when i graduated 4 years ago in the good times, most people who done DEVELOPMENT, earned around 26, I got 28 with a first.. there were of course lots of lads that went straight for the money and done support/testing but it didnt help them in the longrun.

I suppose i should have elaborated a bit more in my previous post, if you want to work in development, dont worry about money (within reason) for the first year as you are still without any experience. get into a good company.

my opinion over the last few years.

Its important to prioritise learning, chances to grow, skill acquisition etc over raw salary, definitely good advice.

But many people that tell you this as an excuse to pay you less are exploiting you.

on the flip side i think its hilarious some of the graduates posting on here turning there nose up at jobs that pay under 25K...

Its not hilarious - they are simply assessing the market, and realising that a good grad can ask for more than 25K at the moment. This is a good thing - techies traditionally are bad at salary negotiation, and often get the short end of the stick.

It isn't them being arrogant, or having an over-inflated idea of self-worth; its simply them being professional, realising their hard earned skills are a scarce commodity, and asking to be paid for their hard work - which is fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

As a recent grad who did ALOT of research and applied to a number of different roles in a a variety of differently sized companies, the range always fell between 24-28k. (That's for a fresh faced BA grad of Computer Science). The company sizes ranged dramatically; from setups with as few as 10-15 staff, to multi-national IT giants.

I recently accepted a role after careful consideration and several different interviews and I am happy with both the salary and the job spec. I think it's important to remember, good times or bad, there is always plenty of jobs in the IT sector, whether or not you plan on being a developer/ designer / consultant.

Just make sure you shop around, lots of jobs - lots of job paying similar money! However, finding the role that you really want is the tricky part. :)

A college friend recently got offered a job from two different companies during the same week. One huge, household name offering 28k with benefits & one much smaller, Irish IT firm with a few hundred employees at best offering 26k.
    He accepted the offer from the smaller company. :) They claimed to provide a platform giving staff a much better chance to potentially, climb the ladder quite quickly; whereas the crowd offering the bigger bucks gave him the impression that his career path with them would be a good deal more stale!

Obviously the above company comparison is a very specific example, just thought a real world scenario might be informative to recent, or soon to be graduates intending on starting their careers soon!

EDIT: I don't know if its okay to post on a public forum, but if anyone want's specific rates that were offered to me & college friends recently by particular companies PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

1 years exp 26-30k
    2 years exp 30-33k
    3 years exp 33-38k
    4 years exp 38-44k
    5 years exp 44-60 k
    6-8 years 55-70k

A lot of this depends on how well you can interview in my opinion. Sure, the first thing an employer will do is scan the experience section of your C.V. but if you are charismatic, confident and have a good degree of technical aptitude, you can push the boat out. Additionally, there is a large surplus of jobs in the I.T. sector at the moment so you have good room for manoeuvre salary wise. If you take the first job you are offered without negotiating, that's a bad move. The current situation seems to be that there are a lot of positions within the I.T. sector that cannot be filled. I left my job to go back and do an M.Sc in Computer Science and it's heavily funded by the Higher Education Authority. I can't help but wonder is this because of the low numbers undertaking I.T. courses? Also, don't forget salaries within the pre-sales consulting area. Most of the guys I worked with came from technical backgrounds and moved over to the pre-sales consulting area and the money you can earn in this area is well into and beyond the top end of the scale above.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I'm presuming that IT pay rates increases are also meeting inflation, given that after two years of 0%, I just got a 2% rise. Saying that, management are saying budgets are very tight, ie no training available etc.

Advertisement